1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

What books do you recommend?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Medstart108, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Medstart108

Medstart108 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What books do you recommend for the MCAT to someone who has no university level background in organic chemistry, physics, chemistry and has a small background in molecular biology with very strong backgrounds in human anatomy and physiology?

I have done physics, biology and chemistry up to Gr. 12 non-AP and studied medicine in university for 2 years (in the UK).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Ace-Co-A

Ace-Co-A taking up the mantle cell lymphoma 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So you're going to an American medical school and need to take the MCAT? I'm confused, though, because if that's the case, I thought all schools required Gen Chem, Organic, Physics, Biology at the university level?

I recommend reading everything you can to prepare for the Verbal section. For the PS and BS sections, other people will probably have superior recommendations for content review.

Good luck!

4. MrMention

MrMention 2+ Year Member

Non-Student

How did you do on your A-Levels. If you did great on the A-Levels, then you should be able to self study and do find on the MCAT. Nonetheless, I believe you are required to take the pre-req for US medical school. Good Luck.

5. Medstart108

Medstart108 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm actually a Canadian who went to the UK for medical school. I'm planning on applying back to Canada for medical school. I actually did take the SAT and SAT II and I scored well in the 99%-99.5% percentile, but of course the MCATs are much harder as the calibre of students taking the MCAT is much higher.

6. Brain Bucket

Brain Bucket Oh man, I forgot to bring the marshmallows. 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took the mcat years ago and it's changed since, but I remember how impressed I was with Examkrackers and Berkley review. I remember thinking that these would be ideal for someone with a non science background.

As is the case with any standardised test, the most important part of your preparation will be doing a ton of high quality qs. I'm sure there's a ton of guides on how to ace the test.

About the ads