what books should i use ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovesleep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i'm a 4th year student and am going to start an ENT elective. I wanted some advice as to which book(s) would be best to both allow me to excel and maximize my experience as well as not being way over my head. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

1) ENT Secrets
2) Good head & neck anatomy book (I like Netter's best, but use the one you are most familiar with)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go into ENT, then get KJ Lee's Essential Otolaryngology.

If you're just doing a month because you want to rotate on it, but don't want to necessarily become an ENT, I agree with ENT secrets and learn your anatomy as much as possible.

More than anything else, I think students get pimped on anatomy in ENT, but the Secrets book will cover most everything else with which you'll get hit.

Seemed like ENT secrets was highly recommended 3 years ago. I've heard the clinical reference book by Pasha. Any further suggestions?

Can only speak from my own experience, but I just finished my sub-i and an away sub-i.
-ENT Secrets: Good for "high yield" stuff on topics, but not good for "reading up" an things. Good to peruse if you know you're going to scrub a parotid the next day, or a head & neck case (staging, etc), or are going to be in laryngology or sinus clinic, for example.
-Anatomy textbook: Good to look at. I used netter's. That being said, I could look at netter's for an hour the night before, but when it came to looking at structures in the OR, it's hit or miss, since the netter plates are systems based (plate on on vasculature, nerve pathways, musculature, etc and not layers based i.e. its hard to gauge how deep structure are and when you might encounter them during a dissection)
-Cummings, Pasha's etc: I'd say its good to have access to one of the "big" otolaryngology texts. My institution had free access to Cummings through MDConsult, which was great. A lot of the stuff is too detailed for a med student, but they're great resources for an overview of a specific topic. Plus they're great for reading up on a procedure the night before (i.e. the steps of a thyroidectomy, what structures you're looking to identify and where you'll find them, etc).

I will assume you will be spending a good amount of time on the head and neck cancer service. I recommend getting the NCCN guidelines for head and neck cancer. You can a PDF from the website (www.nccn.org) or you can get the mobile app for iPhone or Android. The guidelines are written by experts based upon the best available evidence.

thanks for help everyone

Seemed like ENT secrets was highly recommended 3 years ago. I've heard the clinical reference book by Pasha. Any further suggestions?

Pasha is a great book. Nearly every ENT resident I know has it. Only problem with it, is that the index is very subpar, and if you are trying to quickly find things on rounds, clinic, etc, it could take awhile.

Secrets is all you really need right now for a 4th year rotation.

If you want any more information Dr. Quinn Textbook of Otolaryngology is a free website that has powerpoints, pdfs, and docs from UTMB's ENT grand rounds for the last 20 years. You can almost always find what your looking for there, and it is somewhat easy to search through.

Pasha is a great book. Nearly every ENT resident I know has it. Only problem with it, is that the index is very subpar, and if you are trying to quickly find things on rounds, clinic, etc, it could take awhile.

Secrets is all you really need right now for a 4th year rotation.

If you want any more information Dr. Quinn Textbook of Otolaryngology is a free website that has powerpoints, pdfs, and docs from UTMB's ENT grand rounds for the last 20 years. You can almost always find what your looking for there, and it is somewhat easy to search through.

thanks for the tip on Dr. Quinn Textbook. and pasha has been really helpful but it did not take long for me to realize how terrible the index is.

For M4s doing an elective who are not going into ENT, you should use Primary Care Otolaryngology. My department in residency had a bunch of free copies that they gave to rotating M3s, so you can probably get a free hard copy that way. You can also download a free ebook version or buy a hard copy at the academy website: http://www.entnet.org/mktplace/primaryCare.cfm

For medical students who are applying to ENT, take your pick among KJ Lee or Lange. Pasha is more of a bare bones outline format and personally I think it's better for residents who already have some ENT knowledge under their belt.