What can count as physician shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmorte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently gain clinical experience by volunteering with a hospice company. I am looking for shadowing opportunities and a staff member suggested I attend a weekly staff meeting where attending physicians and other care providers discuss patient cases. Would this count toward physician shadowing or would it depend on how it was done? For example, if I was able to speak with the physician after the meeting would that reinforce the job-shadowing aspect? One more question: how do I document shadowing hours or is that something to be concerned about?

Thank you in advance for any insights provided.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can smell a doctor, you're probably close enough to consider it shadowing. That being said, going to case meetings might be a great way to network into more substantiative shadowing opportunities.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
try to see the doctors in patient facing situations too. Keep track of the hours you spend and put that into AMCAS. Pretty straightforward

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to see prospective students shadow a doctor for an 8-10 hour day including case conferences, clinical encounters, and other activities. I think that understanding what a doctor's day is like is an important part of shadowing.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to see prospective students shadow a doctor for an 8-10 hour day including case conferences, clinical encounters, and other activities. I think that understanding what a doctor's day is like is an important part of shadowing.
Should a scribe position fulfill this shadowing requirement?

Should a scribe position fulfill this shadowing requirement?

Maybe but it is best to have an item in the work/activities section that is clearly labeled "shadowing" so that a busy person reviewing your application does not miss it or have to make an inference about your shadowing experience based on your employment.

Thanks to all for the quick feedback!

Hello,

I currently gain clinical experience by volunteering with a hospice company. I am looking for shadowing opportunities and a staff member suggested I attend a weekly staff meeting where attending physicians and other care providers discuss patient cases. Would this count toward physician shadowing or would it depend on how it was done? For example, if I was able to speak with the physician after the meeting would that reinforce the job-shadowing aspect? One more question: how do I document shadowing hours or is that something to be concerned about?

Thank you in advance for any insights provided.
Nope. Shadowing is finding out what doctors do...what their day is like and how they approach medicine. Staff meetings are too narrow a window for this.