What can I do? Do I have a shot?

Started by mvp504
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mvp504

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey so I just applied my first time to physical therapy schools and didn't get in anywhere. I never really expected anyone to consider me for my first time anyways but I figured I'd give it a shot. I had a low GPA to begin with, and when applying through PTCAS it was even lower.

Overall undergraduate GPA: 2.88
Overall PTCAS GPA: 2.5

I was wondering if I should re-apply for the next cycle. What should I do in order to make myself a good candidate for the next cycle. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.
 
I know of some programs that will look solely at your pre req gpa (such as University of Mary). To have a shot at a program that theirs, I would retake their pre reqs and bring those classes up to a 3.5 or better, then you could have a shot at getting accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know of some programs that will look solely at your pre req gpa (such as University of Mary). To have a shot at a program that theirs, I would retake their pre reqs and bring those classes up to a 3.5 or better, then you could have a shot at getting accepted.

Are you sure? I applied there and they wanted a 2.75 Overall GPA.
 
Look through the sticky where people post their stats as they are accepted to programs. You'll see that you will need to increase your cumulative and pre-req GPA. A lot.
 
Although your GPAs are pretty low, there is much more to getting accepted than just the GPA. If you were to re-apply, study hard for the GRE and do well on that. Get extra volunteer/shadowing hours in. Make sure your LoR's are GREAT and not just a professor who will write "this student will do fine". Do your research and find schools that take lower stats. You have a long way to go but you can definitely boost your chances come August/September