What can I do? Really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celtics-42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior with a 18 AA 18 TS 19 PAT, cGPA 3.12, All: 2.735, Cognate: 2.563, Bio Sci: 3.059. I still have about 6-7 sciences classes left till I graduate and I wanted to know what I should do for the future besides retake the DAT and aim for A's in the upcoming classes. Can I still make it to dental school without having to do a post bacc or masters and should it be worth it to do so, given my circumstances, considering how expensive they are? I tried everywhere to find dental programs but the only one I actually came across was the Temple one, which guarantees an interview if you get a 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT in their post bacc. Also, I have not applied to schools and the post bacc programs say they want applicant that have been rejected, which would make me miss about 2 years. Thanks for any response.

Members don't see this ad.

so is your overall gpa 3.12 or 2.735? How much would 6-7 classes of sciences bring up your overall gpa? Its tough to tell, but if you manage to get all A's from now and get ~22 on your DAT, then you have chance if you apply early and broadly. But remember to prepare for plan B while you apply just in case.

so is your overall gpa 3.12 or 2.735? How much would 6-7 classes of sciences bring up your overall gpa? Its tough to tell, but if you manage to get all A's from now and get ~22 on your DAT, then you have chance if you apply early and broadly. But remember to prepare for plan B while you apply just in case.

My advisor told me that my overall is 3.12, the university has several GPA's but the 3.12 is the overall. What do you mean by plan B, as in career change or masters, post bacc? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor told me that my overall is 3.12, the university has several GPA's but the 3.12 is the overall. What do you mean by plan B, as in career change or masters, post bacc? Thanks

Masters or post-bacc (either official or unofficial).

X2 on post-bacc/masters

Be prepared to work your ass off. Like class+studying should be your life (especially for 1st semester when its most important). You need a 3.5 or higher, doing poorly or mediocrely will strongly hinder your application. I would recommend applying to multiple because even these programs are competitive (and a sub 3.0 GPA will still hinder you). Do some research and apply early.

do master's/formal post-bacc and retake DAT
Im currently in formal postbacc and studying is my life and I really hate my life right now

p.s. amount of work in grad level courses compared to undergrad will be way beyond what you will ever imagine...

good luck...

Reactions: 1 user
X2 on post-bacc/masters

Be prepared to work your ass off. Like class+studying should be your life (especially for 1st semester when its most important). You need a 3.5 or higher, doing poorly or mediocrely will strongly hinder your application. I would recommend applying to multiple because even these programs are competitive (and a sub 3.0 GPA will still hinder you). Do some research and apply early.

Are those programs associated with dental schools or just standard masters/ post-bacc programs? Thanks. Sorry, I couldn't make of what you meant by X2 on post-bacc/masters.

do master's/formal post-bacc and retake DAT
Im currently in formal postbacc and studying is my life and I really hate my life right now

p.s. amount of work in grad level courses compared to undergrad will be way beyond what you will ever imagine...

good luck...

Which program are you in, if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply, and how long is it?

Are those programs associated with dental schools or just standard masters/ post-bacc programs? Thanks. Sorry, I couldn't make of what you meant by X2 on post-bacc/masters.
X2 as in times 2 meaning I agree with the above poster.

There are a few offered by dental schools and grant you into dental school if you get good grades but many of these are very competitive and also many are for disadvantage students. Apply to some if you want but also apply to the programs that while not offered by a dental school (and no guaranties) take a DAT score and say they are meant to prepare students for medical/dental school. Do well and your application would be strengthened. I would try to focus on ones made for future dental students that way the knowledge you gain will be relevant (and make 1st year dental school easier). Obviously if its relevant to dental it will have the most impact.

Which program are you in, if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply, and how long is it?
He's in this program

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/

Last edited:
I'm at VCU CERT for 2015-2016
I think I applied in Dec. or Jan. and was accepted in Feb. I think.
The program is a one year certificate program, and is associated with school of dentistry at VCU, but not guaranteed interview.
I believe they give you the priority in reviewing of AADSAS application if you are a CERT student.
According to the past CERT students, if you get 3.5+ in this program and 20+ on DAT, it is highly likely that you will receive an interview.
The GPA and DAT for current accepted students were 3.1~3.2 GPA and 18.5 DAT (Average), CERT program not dental school.

Students that do not perform well during the first year of CERT program, they continue into the second year and get their master's degree, which is highly recommended by the admissions office at VCU Dental

Many Pre-dentals take the following path for their master's degree
-Oral Bio at NYU
-Biomedical Science at Tufts University
-Oral Health Sciences at Boston University
-Biomedical Science at Rutgers University
-VCU CERT
-I know Barry University in Florida has one, but forgot what it's called
-Tulane University M.S. in Pharmacology?? or something

I am a senior with a 18 AA 18 TS 19 PAT, cGPA 3.12, All: 2.735, Cognate: 2.563, Bio Sci: 3.059. I still have about 6-7 sciences classes left till I graduate and I wanted to know what I should do for the future besides retake the DAT and aim for A's in the upcoming classes. Can I still make it to dental school without having to do a post bacc or masters and should it be worth it to do so, given my circumstances, considering how expensive they are? I tried everywhere to find dental programs but the only one I actually came across was the Temple one, which guarantees an interview if you get a 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT in their post bacc. Also, I have not applied to schools and the post bacc programs say they want applicant that have been rejected, which would make me miss about 2 years. Thanks for any response.
I skipped all of the comments so if this has already been stated, my apologies. Your DAT is not the problem, it's the GPA. I have a 19AA, 19TS, 17PAT and have 4 interviews thus far. However, I also have a 3.92 overall and science GPA. Bottom line: find a way to get your GPA to AT MINIMUM a 3.5 or retake the DAT and take your chances in the under 3.0 club.

I skipped all of the comments so if this has already been stated, my apologies. Your DAT is not the problem, it's the GPA. I have a 19AA, 19TS, 17PAT and have 4 interviews thus far. However, I also have a 3.92 overall and science GPA. Bottom line: find a way to get your GPA to AT MINIMUM a 3.5 or retake the DAT and take your chances in the under 3.0 club.

His DAT is a problem with that GPA. If his DAT where higher, his GPA wouldn't be as much of a problem, or vice versa. If he can retake the DAT and get 23 or so, his GPA won't be an issue. If he can nail these last 6 or 7 science classes, getting A's, A-'s, the upward trend will help as well. Not knowing the rest of your application or his, it's hard to say though.

His DAT is a problem with that GPA. If his DAT where higher, his GPA wouldn't be as much of a problem, or vice versa. If he can retake the DAT and get 23 or so, his GPA won't be an issue. If he can nail these last 6 or 7 science classes, getting A's, A-'s, the upward trend will help as well. Not knowing the rest of your application or his, it's hard to say though.
GPA is definitely the bigger problem. Thats below the cutoff at many schools. Which do you think is more common in dental school a 18AA or a sub 3.0 GPA? He/she seems like a prime candidate for masters/postbacc. Both have their own pros and cons. A masters will show you can handle a hard graduate level course load; while a postbacc will help that undergrad GPA. Something to consider if you think dental schools wont even look at the application with a low undergrad GPA (not sure myself), if thats the case then postbacc would be better. If its not then masters would be better (and probably cheaper thanks to gradplus loans).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go masters/postbacc. I'm not a huge fan of those associated with dental schools as I like to look at the worst possible outcome (as in, for some horrible, twisted reason you never get into dental school and then are stuck looking for employment in another field), but that choice is ultimately up to you.

I'm at VCU CERT for 2015-2016
I think I applied in Dec. or Jan. and was accepted in Feb. I think.
The program is a one year certificate program, and is associated with school of dentistry at VCU, but not guaranteed interview.
I believe they give you the priority in reviewing of AADSAS application if you are a CERT student.
According to the past CERT students, if you get 3.5+ in this program and 20+ on DAT, it is highly likely that you will receive an interview.
The GPA and DAT for current accepted students were 3.1~3.2 GPA and 18.5 DAT (Average), CERT program not dental school.

Students that do not perform well during the first year of CERT program, they continue into the second year and get their master's degree, which is highly recommended by the admissions office at VCU Dental

Many Pre-dentals take the following path for their master's degree
-Oral Bio at NYU
-Biomedical Science at Tufts University
-Oral Health Sciences at Boston University
-Biomedical Science at Rutgers University
-VCU CERT
-I know Barry University in Florida has one, but forgot what it's called
-Tulane University M.S. in Pharmacology?? or something

Will you be only doing the 1 year program? Also, can I message you for more questions if you aren't too busy with the coursework, it would mean a lot I'm really lost as to what to do. Thanks.

Will you be only doing the 1 year program? Also, can I message you for more questions if you aren't too busy with the coursework, it would mean a lot I'm really lost as to what to do. Thanks.
I'll be only doing the 1 year if I get 3.5+.
People usually go continue into master's program if they do not perform well during their 1st year
And yes message me any questions you have I'll come by and reply back whenever I get on SDN

I'll be only doing the 1 year if I get 3.5+.
People usually go continue into master's program if they do not perform well during their 1st year
And yes message me any questions you have I'll come by and reply back whenever I get on SDN

I tried to message you but I think your page is limited to yourself but I just wanted to know that do you miss two years before matriculating into dental school, during the gap year doing masters then applying after your masters is complete after the one year then apply. After the master's you would have another year off correct? Since you would be waiting for replies for dental schools. Also, did you apply to any post-bacc and why exactly did you choose masters over any post-bacc if you applied to any. Thanks!

I tried to message you but I think your page is limited to yourself but I just wanted to know that do you miss two years before matriculating into dental school, during the gap year doing masters then applying after your masters is complete after the one year then apply. After the master's you would have another year off correct? Since you would be waiting for replies for dental schools. Also, did you apply to any post-bacc and why exactly did you choose masters over any post-bacc if you applied to any. Thanks!
The program I'm in is a formal post-bacc. You have an OPTION of continuing into master's degree. It all depends on how well you perform during the first year of post-bacc.
I've applied to Oral Health at BU and Biomedial Sciences at Tufts, but I chose this because I thought their programs were too expensive.

The program I'm in is a formal post-bacc. You have an OPTION of continuing into master's degree. It all depends on how well you perform during the first year of post-bacc.
I've applied to Oral Health at BU and Biomedial Sciences at Tufts, but I chose this because I thought their programs were too expensive.

Will you be applying to dental school in the next cycle after completing the first year or have you already applied during the post bacc program. Thanks. I just wanted to know if I could basically do the post bacc during my gap year and matriculate after if that makes any sense. Thanks

Will you be applying to dental school in the next cycle after completing the first year or have you already applied during the post bacc program. Thanks. I just wanted to know if I could basically do the post bacc during my gap year and matriculate after if that makes any sense. Thanks
I applied to 5 schools already this cycle and hoping for post-dec interviews once I get my fall grades. If I don't get accepted this cycle, I will re-apply next year with both fall and spring grades

I applied to 5 schools already this cycle and hoping for post-dec interviews once I get my fall grades. If I don't get accepted this cycle, I will re-apply next year with both fall and spring grades

So did you just apply with your recently graduated stats since you didn't have the fall grades yet for your program or did the schools acknowledge the program and are waiting on the grades pending their decision?

So did you just apply with your recently graduated stats since you didn't have the fall grades yet for your program or did the schools acknowledge the program and are waiting on the grades pending their decision?
Only VCU waits for my fall grades, so yea I applied with my GPA from undergrad which I graduated 2 years ago
Not sure if other schools will wait for my fall grades. VCU acknowledge this program and they give us the priority review, but no guaranteed interview

Only VCU waits for my fall grades, so yea I applied with my GPA from undergrad which I graduated 2 years ago
Not sure if other schools will wait for my fall grades. VCU acknowledge this program and they give us the priority review, but no guaranteed interview
I have heard of schools wanting updates with exam scores even before fall semester posts. Maybe something to check with adcoms? Especially if you have taken exams and have done well on them.

If you're talking about DAT, I've already taken them in June
No im talking about exams taken in your program. But now that I think about it maybe that applied more to master programs vs postbacc. Sorry for the confusion.