What car do you plan to drive during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2002 Ford Winstar.

or the Ford Deathstar, its silver.

60K miles, so should last me four years.

and after i take out the middle seat...

Members don't see this ad.

my 1970 chevelle

Attachments

• 713382084_m.jpg
    713382084_m.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 61
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be driving my faithful 95' Maxima (Betsy Dos) :p

hari-bhari said:
12330_16_full.jpg[/IMG]

by the way, you think a car hobby is worth mentioning in an application as an extracurricular? i probably spend around 5-6 hours a week on it, overall. actually, i've learned a lot in terms of mechanical and electrical stuff.

depends on what you do.....if it is just babying it not really...........if you are installing parts, and tuning things then why not?

Another Zoom Zoom here!

My '05 Mazda3. I worked so hard for this thing, it's my baby. :love:

3sport-gs4dr-titaniumgreymet5518.jpg

jays2cool4u said:
Red Line Metro

I rocked the red line (LA) for 2 years. Ever study for an exam across from someone cooking and shooting heroin behind their leather jacket? I have!

I think you should mention it. They will think that you have diverse interests and that you will be able to relate well to people.

hari-bhari said:
my 2000 Toyota Solara, also known as BHARIJR (yes, that's really my license plate and yes you can call me crazy, but thats my baby and it's what i work on when i'm trying to get away from these damned applications!!) :D

312330_16_full.jpg

by the way, you think a car hobby is worth mentioning in an application as an extracurricular? i probably spend around 5-6 hours a week on it, overall. actually, i've learned a lot in terms of mechanical and electrical stuff.

Nice Solara, as for mentioning your car hobby during your interview just be cautious. Some interviewers have preconceived notions about what you are trying to pull off as an EC. I used to work on/race streetbikes, and for some reason my interviewer thought I played with pocketbikes or something... it just didn't sit well with him.

You don't want your interviewer to be thinking in the back of his or her mind that you waste your time installing neon lights, loud exhausts or illegally street race... Not that you actually do or don't do these things (I'm personally fine with all that import stuff), but it may not come off as being very mature.

The best way to play off your car hobby is to say that you are into automotive repair and maintenance. And from there you can discuss how much you enjoy learning and working with your hands. I used to discuss how I loved working on my old car (3000gt) and how I learned to fix mechanical problems on my own..

Granted that was a mitsu and was damn prone to repairs, but you have a toyota and those things never have problems :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks,
how do you get the pics to show up full size in the post, all I could get was the thumbnail?

popbirch said:
thanks,
how do you get the pics to show up full size in the post, all I could get was the thumbnail?

You use that lil' pic of the mountains with the sun in the toolbar next to the bullet button. Use that button to paste the url of your pic.

Lets see a bigger pic of that Chevelle!! :love:

hari-bhari said:
yea, come to think of it, i have done some stuff they might like, like installing a remote starter, sound system, carputer, and some mechanical and fabrication work. could any of these things be considered bad or reasons not to include it? i.e. a distraction from 'the important things in life' or something like that

Um....possibly. If it is a major part of your life. I've ever seen your work to know if it is something serious ;) If you replaced your own valve spring and beefed up an engine a hundred or so hp on your own...then I'd defintley say it. If it is throwing a cd player, amp, subs in the car kind of stuff...eh not so sure. I'd personally use other stuff first and then kind of sneak it in at the bottom...it can indicate you are good with your hands.

Anastasis said:
I'm hoping my old Jeep will make it. But if not, I'm so going into debt and getting a restored '68 Mustang - yeah right, I wish.

:love: Classic Mustangs are lots of fun but make sure you have another, more reliable car. :oops: I can't tell you how many times mine has left me by the side of the road. I still love it though.

I have a '96 4Runner with 200,000 miles on it. I need 4WD in the mountains, and it's never let me down. I'll probably have to replace the engine eventually, but the post-2002 4Runners are butt-ugly. :mad:

Not all bimmers cost alot of money. I bought mine off a little old lady that hardly drove it in D.C. I bought it with 56, 484 miles, for $5,900. Most of my friends think i'm rich at school, even though they are driving around $13,000 maximas or $20,000 Acura's. I just laugh, lol.

index.cfm

I'm not sure if this worked

jbl16 said:
What color? sport package?. Mine is Silver with sport.
Sparklin Graphite, no sport, roads here in NYC arent the best. Do you frequent e90post.com?

If I get into med school, my parents are getting me an S500 on DUBS, 22's if its not DO!

BerkeleyMD said:
Nice Solara, as for mentioning your car hobby during your interview just be cautious. Some interviewers have preconceived notions about what you are trying to pull off as an EC. I used to work on/race streetbikes, and for some reason my interviewer thought I played with pocketbikes or something... it just didn't sit well with him.

You don't want your interviewer to be thinking in the back of his or her mind that you waste your time installing neon lights, loud exhausts or illegally street race... Not that you actually do or don't do these things (I'm personally fine with all that import stuff), but it may not come off as being very mature.

The best way to play off your car hobby is to say that you are into automotive repair and maintenance. And from there you can discuss how much you enjoy learning and working with your hands. I used to discuss how I loved working on my old car (3000gt) and how I learned to fix mechanical problems on my own..

Granted that was a mitsu and was damn prone to repairs, but you have a toyota and those things never have problems :laugh:

I actually mentioned working on my 6 on my application for the 2006 cycle. I was asked a couple questions about it during the interviews and they actually seemed pretty interested. Some of the things I mentioned were what hari-bhari had in mind such as wiring the amp and building carputer. I also talked about my trial and errors and how I learn the basic surgery for my car just by reading directions from various forums like ripping apart dash for the carputer screen, fliberglassing sub boxes, installing HIDs, along with regular car maintenance that they can relate to. Then, I spun it off to say that I help my friends maintain their cars and stuff like that. Just talk big. If you changed someone's oil, say you help them with maintenace. :laugh: Interviews are about how good you can BS and that's it.

megboo said:
sarcasm <------
anyway, I drive a 77 Volvo 240DL, and it caught on fire last month from an elecrtical short
I put it out with a beach towel I had in the back, and most recently it told me that it will be with me for the next 4 (or 5, or 6???) years

chewsnuffles said:
If I get into med school, my parents are getting me an S500 on DUBS, 22's if its not DO!

Ohh man, not an S550?? That NBS benz is starting to growing on me..

The one in my avatar, '98 mustang gt.
It's fun as hell to drive, quick and still has only 80k miles...im keeping this one for at least the next four years, if not more. Now if only miami didn't have so much damn stop and go, bumper-bumper traffic......arg.

M3 on 21's (yes that size does exist)...benefit of going to cheap state school + scholarships + working 20 hrs/wk (although I wish mommy and daddy could help...insurance with my driving record = ridiculous)

I spoke too soon, my car is now totaled. I now don't know what I will be driving to medical school.

That was weird that 2 days ago I said hopefully I will be driving the car I have now, then yesterday I ended up wrecking it.

chewsnuffles said:

Weak! As Nelly and Arnold will tell you, you aint a baller 'less you drive a HumV on forty-fo's

My 2006 VW GTI. Upgraded to about 300lbs of torque and 260hp and still looks and sounds completely stock all the while getting 25mpg. Makes getting to and from classes fun with a 5.0 tested 0-60 after upgrades :D Very nice car to drive and Im very fortunate to have it I say.

FutureDrCynthia said:
I spoke too soon, my car is now totaled. I now don't know what I will be driving to medical school.

That was weird that 2 days ago I said hopefully I will be driving the car I have now, then yesterday I ended up wrecking it.

Wow. Scary. At least you're okay though, right?

tacrum43 said:
Wow. Scary. At least you're okay though, right?

Yeah, just a bruised shoulder and other bruises.

Along the same line I just got admitted to med school and I drive a CLS 550 ( I was making a decent Income before the move to med school). I'm wondering if it's wise for me to bring this car with me or would it draw negative attention from fellow students and faculty. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Probably my old subaru outback. With my luck, I'll probably end up somewhere in the boonies where it snows.

09 Subaru Impreza...AWD is appreciated in the snow!

I commuted for college and the last thing I wanted for med school was to have to commute to med school. Even when reading House of God, the idea of driving to one's residency sounded off-putting. Spending the extra money to live walking distance from one's workplace or school is worth it to avoid the headache of being subject to road conditions and vehicular maintenance... not to mention the time wasted actually driving.