What causes failure to make partner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theblueswede

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the posts I've read that mention partnership tracks for SDGs, it seems that even in the honest partnerships that don't screw pre-partners for their gain, only 3/4ths of pre-partners actually make partner. What stops a new doc from making partner? Being too slow? For those in SDGs, does the 3/4ths figure seem accurate for your group?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. 100% of those hired make partner in my group unless they leave prior to making partner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not accurate here. Partner, SDG, low attrition and typically for good reason when it happens. Family elsewhere and whatnot.

Speaking generally and on my own opinion:
- Don't be at the low end of the bell curve of productivity;
- Help out when you can (shift swaps, picking up, etc);
- Get along with people, and be someone you'd want to work alongside.

It's not rocket science. Work hard, be reasonable, be a good colleague.

Reactions: 1 users
2 sdgs in my career. Probably saw 15-20 people make partner. 0 didn’t. Zero.

In the posts I've read that mention partnership tracks for SDGs, it seems that even in the honest partnerships that don't screw pre-partners for their gain, only 3/4ths of pre-partners actually make partner. What stops a new doc from making partner?
Envision

Reactions: 2 users
You can fail to make partner if the existing partners don't tell you they're planning to sell the group to a CMG. Then when you should become partner they tell you they aren't adding any new partners in spite of you fulfilling all the partnership requirements, obviously so the CMG buyout pie gets cut into fewer pieces. And then when you consult multiple attorneys they all tell you you have no chance in court.

That's one way, for what it's worth.

Reactions: 1 user
Zero. Same as all the other responses. SDG here that has been in place for 30+ years. Only person during that time who didn’t make partner was a guy who left during the partnership track to move across country back to where his wife was from.

For what it’s worth, we try hard to doing the screening on the front end—not once they’re already here.

Reactions: 1 user
You need the three As

Affable
Available
Able

Pay your taxes. One guy I knew of went through an expensive divorce and just didn’t pay any quarterly income tax for like 2 years. The IRS called the group and they told him he would get back on track if he got right with the feds. He ghosted instead.

In the posts I've read that mention partnership tracks for SDGs, it seems that even in the honest partnerships that don't screw pre-partners for their gain, only 3/4ths of pre-partners actually make partner. What stops a new doc from making partner? Being too slow? For those in SDGs, does the 3/4ths figure seem accurate for your group?

As above - I know of one doc who didn't make partner & that guy was so bad that other groups in the area knew he was bad (because his messes were so common that they spilled over to other shops).

Other than that, the only reason I've known of someone not making partner is that the group got bought out by a CMG. And I only know of that via second-hand "knowledge".

Main thing that keeps you from not being partner in most groups is the group selling out to a CMG prior to you becoming eligible to become a partner.

I know what you are trying to say, but please re-read what you wrote. "100% of those who make partner make partner".......
Lolwut? Hired =/= partner. Gotta pay your sweat equity prior to making partner. Pedantry fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems more like 95% of those hired as independent contractors in my group become partners. The only factor that I have seen come into play prior to membership is schedule availability. Some hires have not been available for the number of shifts expected of a partner and some have made excessive requests of time off. I have been told that when this was brought to the attention of the offenders though, some made changes that fixed the issue, so this may be a function of some nebulous rules on my group's part.

I think the issue factors raise concerns about willingness for team play--taking ownership of and responsibility for the group. I am told by the old heads that this seems to be more of a recent problem in hiring.

Seems more like 95% of those hired as independent contractors in my group become partners. The only factor that I have seen come into play prior to membership is schedule availability. Some hires have not been available for the number of shifts expected of a partner and some have made excessive requests of time off. I have been told that when this was brought to the attention of the offenders though, some made changes that fixed the issue, so this may be a function of some nebulous rules on my group's part.

I think the issue factors raise concerns about willingness for team play--taking ownership of and responsibility for the group. I am told by the old heads that this seems to be more of a recent problem in hiring.
Why don't they just get clear scheduling guidelines?

Out of curiosity, what are the expected number of shifts for a partner in your group?

I'm guessing that would be inconvenient for the old heads when they decide they want to violate their own inflexible scheduling guidelines.
Fair enough. Our guidelines are very transparent. Bullet pointed document and the few most important points are always included in the scheduling reminder email.