What chance does a business major with a minor in psych to get into a MA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arkanine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. I'm a business major at a university with an average reputation. I chose a business degree out of practicality, I know that a bachelors doesn't guarantee anything anymore and I hoped a business degree would be a bit more relevant to decent jobs (I'd intended on eventually getting an MBA after gaining some postgrad experience).

Towards the end of my Junior year I found out (ignorant, I know) that you can go to graduate school in a subject different than your undergraduate major. I had no clue. Suddenly I felt awash in disappointment for what might have been. If I hadn't been clueless I could've made an intelligent plan, could've gotten research experience and taken more psychology courses.

I'm finishing up a minor in Psychology. That's it. No laboratory research experience, which I probably can't change because RA positions are restricted to majors at my university.

I have about a 3.75 GPA. I've decided my only hope is to do as well as possible on the GRE Psychology Subject test and the GRE itself. That is my intense focus right now, in my hopes that a high score can show that I have a stronger interest in psychology than my transcript may show. Average alma mater, no research experience, no glowing psych recommendation letters-- so basically, my application is going to look like a joke.

However, I've always had a passion for psychology. In high school I used to read research articles all the time for fun. I developed a serious interest in ASPD for some reason, and have been fascinated by the diversity in psychopathic personalities. I have burning questions; what separates socially functional psychopaths from your stereotypical criminal? A successful CEO from a serial murderer? How could testing be developed to identify antisocial persons that are organized, with impulse control, which currently contradicts the criteria for ASPD in the DSM? I want to study psychopaths outside of prison, but I know that kind of research would be far down the line for me, and that my dissertation would have to be more bite-sized.

My point is, I look like an idiot that wants to go into grad school for psych on a whim. But my reasons for getting this graduate degree are intrinsically motivated. I know the pay isn't great, I know the process is long (I'd eventually like to get a doctorate) and I know I'm going to be locked into poverty for a long time if I pursue this degree.

I want a PhD, but with my specs I'm positive I have no chance applying directly. What are the chances I could get into a Masters program (so I could gain the research experience to be more competitive to get into a PhD program later on)?

Advice? Words of wisdom? Dream crushing insights?

What is a good goal GRE/Psych Subject test score to make my application look more appealing? (I know research experience is the heaviest criterion, but I don't have that so I've gotta work with what I've got)?

I'm sorry this post is long, but I'm overwhelmingly anxious and insecure, and I don't know if I'm wasting my time even trying to get into grad school for psych at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: To clarify, I've extended my degree to accommodate a Psych Minor and get as many psych credits as I can fit in before hitting the credit max at my school (so maybe 25-30 or so psych credits by graduation).

Edit: To clarify, I've extended my degree to accommodate a Psych Minor and get as many psych credits as I can fit in before hitting the credit max at my school (so maybe 25-30 or so psych credits by graduation).

Do you have the prereq classes that are required for most MA programs. These classes are typically listed in the program brochure or website of the programs you have applied to.

Do you have a genuine and convincing narrative to explain why your interests have shifted and where you are going with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read most of what you wrote, but most of the idiots in ma/ms programs I know came from all kinds of undergrads. Master's programs aren't hard to get into. At all. Just apply to a bunch of them.

I didn't read most of what you wrote, but most of the idiots in ma/ms programs I know came from all kinds of undergrads. Master's programs aren't hard to get into. At all. Just apply to a bunch of them.

?
Most MA/MS programs and traditional universities will require a 3.0 gpa (although many will bend slightly below that), prereqs, and some track record or evidence interests in psychology.

?
Most MA/MS programs and traditional universities will require a 3.0 gpa, prereqs, and some track record or evidence interests in psychology.
I browsed enough to see he had those things. I had a cohort member who got directly admitted to psyc PhD with a chemistry undergrad. If you don't have a 3.0 and the bare minimum standards then you can have a b.s. psychology and you still won't get in.

I'll have all of the prerequisites just not research experience. I currently have a 3.78 cumulative GPA thus far from a liberal arts university so I'm relatively well rounded as far as class variety, for what it's worth.

?
Most MA/MS programs and traditional universities will require a 3.0 gpa (although many will bend slightly below that), prereqs, and some track record or evidence interests in psychology.
i tend to agree with clinpsych87 more; my MA experience taught me that it doesnt take much to get into a decent MA program. But, the kicker is that if you want a PhD, depending on the culture at the university where you get your MA, you may have to really bust your behind to get interest from a decent PhD program. I've said this before- my MA cohort (in clinical psych) had 14 people in it. 4 got PhD's- only 1 of them in clinical psychology (this guy).

Well don't instead of going for a MA/MS you try to get a paid (or unpaid) research assistant job? Instead of possibly getting into debt (or more debt) getting a Masters you would be able to learn how to conduct research AND maybe make some money on the side if you could get a research assistant job in a college or organization (plus you would possibly have a good letter of rec to get into a PhD program)

Well don't instead of going for a MA/MS you try to get a paid (or unpaid) research assistant job? Instead of possibly getting into debt (or more debt) getting a Masters you would be able to learn how to conduct research AND maybe make some money on the side if you could get a research assistant job in a college or organization (plus you would possibly have a good letter of rec to get into a PhD program)

I didn't realize that was an option. That's definitely something I'll look into!

Reactions: 1 user