What classes should I take Fall of Junior Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking the MCAT in the spring of next year, and I was wondering what I should take -

I have already taken Gen Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, Anatomy and Physiology, and the first part of Physics

I still have left second part of physics, genetics, microbiology, and biochemistry (not sure which ones I need for the MCAT out of the last 3). What should I take in the fall (i.e. the most important out of the 4), and should I not take any science classes while studying for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

obviously take physics 2...

now for your other science class...your choices were...

biochem
genetics
microbio

id pick biochem over the others...

you can take science classes while studying for the mcat...its not gonna screw you over too much. just stay on task and you will be fine.

i agree with jlee. genetics was difficult and not much of it was on the mcats. physics and biochem sounds good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics sucks, but you're going to need both that and biochem for the MCATs. Try and get both in before you start studying for MCATs.

I didn't take genetics, but I did take biochemistry. I don't know why everyone says you need biochem for the mcat. I just didn't find that at all. Not on my real test and not on any of the practice tests or practice material leading up to the test. I just doens't play a role in my opinion. I could def. see where genetics could be useful for the mcat and microbio could be as well since there is a fair amount of stuff on cell structure, viruses, etc..

For my test (last year), there was a push towards including more genetics in an attempt to "modernize" the exam, so perhaps your time would be best spent taking that, though I found that the genetics on the actual test is pretty basic. Still, an advanced class in genetics could be very helpful for the test.

Thanks everyone for their replies..I was wondering whether anyone here will know..I have a slight disadvantage on the General Biology section (one of the classes we take freshman year) bec I got credit for it from IB exams and never took it in college. Has anyone had this experience and are u in a disadvantage for having that credit?

my advice would be to take that class that you passed out of. and some med schools wont take AP or IB credit.