What classes to take for MCAT with one semester left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaddMichael12

Reaction score
I have taken 1 year of general biology and general chemistry, 1 semester of psychology/sociology, 1 year of organic chemistry, 1 year of anatomy and physiology, and 1 semester of physics. I want to take the MCAT in April which means I really have one full semester left of classes. I am already registered for physics 2 for the fall but am wondering what other classes would be most helpful for the MCAT. I've heard Biochem, upper level psych, or another upper level biology course is generally helpful but am not sure what would best with my situation. I already tried registering for biochem but it filled up and I was unsuccessful in getting an override. So, you can rule out biochem for this fall unless I just get lucky and someone drops.

Another question I had is would it be better to wait until June to take the MCAT and take a full semester of Biochem, assuming that I could get into it next semester, or if I still took MCAT in April would 3/4 of a biochem class be any help?

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry. The test is very heavy on biochem. Even if you take time off and just study. Biochem and physics are good. Most other stuff is low yield. I think you really get one shot at this test. Retakes are going to complicate your app. So better to wait.

The test is all about practice questions and tests. Content review only helps to a point.