What classes to take when going back to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerHudon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to school after getting my first bachelors degree and am completely confounded in figuring out what classes I should actually take. The only pre-reqs that I officially need for med school are orgo I & II, but I don't know if I should also take biochem, micro, genetic, or anything else. I have a strong background in science (although it has an emphasis on marine bio/geo) and a pretty diverse undergrad education.
Any ideas/guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

Many people recommend physiology. I took it last semester and found it was very helpful in studying for the MCAT.
I would also consider calc I and II if you do well in math classes (as some schools require calc) and a course in stats.
Many schools also like to see some psych or sociology courses.
Spanish would be a good option too.
Check out the websites of the schools to which you're interested in applying and see what courses they require and recommend.

TylerHudon said:
I'm going back to school after getting my first bachelors degree and am completely confounded in figuring out what classes I should actually take. The only pre-reqs that I officially need for med school are orgo I & II, but I don't know if I should also take biochem, micro, genetic, or anything else. I have a strong background in science (although it has an emphasis on marine bio/geo) and a pretty diverse undergrad education.
Any ideas/guidance?

For the MCAT, you will need Genetics & Physiology.

Biochem and Micro will be taught to you in medical school. It is assumed that you already know genetics, and some physiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
tyler,
I did the same thing you are doing. here is what I took:

1sem-
Organic chem 1
Physics 1
Ecology
Statistics

2sem-
Organic 2
Physics 2
Biochem
Spanish Translation

summer
Cell structure and Function

usually the requirements are:

1 year general chem + lab
1 year Ochem + lab
1 year bio + lab

many schools require:
1 year math
1 year english

and quite a few "highly recommend" genetics and biochem, but don't require them.

OSUdoc08 said:
For the MCAT, you will need Genetics & Physiology.

I disagree with that statement. One does not NEED to take genetics or physiology for the MCAT. Whatever you've learned in college biology will be enough. Now, I'm not to saying that it will be detrimental if you do take either class, but I think it's misleading to say that it is of grave necessity that you will need them in order to be adequately prepared for the MCAT.

Anyway, as to the OP's question. I'd recommend taking biochemistry after you've taken organic chemistry, physiology and/or genetics. No need to take anatomy cause you'll probably forget all of that anyways and some med schools are peculiar about people taking it in advance. Maybe some additional math courses (statistics and calculus if you don't have those under your belt), and something that you'd enjoy that may or may not be science related (assuming that cost is not a factor and you have the time to take an additional class).

Pineapplegirl had a good idea in that you might want to check out some of the schools you might be interested and see what kind of coursework they like their applicants to have. However, that might be easier said than done.

Good luck,
Sam