What clinical experience should I get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really wanting to become an EMT, but there’s no EMT volunteer opportunities near me. Seriously, none. I emailed every county within an hour from me and none take volunteers, which is highly surprising since I’m in a pretty rural location in south GA. I spoke with the Regional EMS Director who’s over all counties near me and was told this info and also that fire departments in our area don’t do anything medical, so I can’t volunteer there.

Should I just volunteer at a local hospice or get certified in something?

I’m planning on volunteering in something clinical and something non-clinical. For the non-clinical side, my girlfriend is big into helping our local animal shelter, so I’m stuck between that and Habitat for Humanity, since I have a lot of construction experience.

Regardless, I was going to spend ~ 15 hours per month volunteering. Half for clinical, half for non-clinical. Should I just volunteer at a local hospice? I’ve reached out via email to 3 with no response. I’ll look into more cities soon as well as calling.

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical experience and volunteering can be two separate things, and you don't have to get certified in anything for them to be your experiences.

For non clinical volunteering, between the two options you mentioned above I would stick to Habitat for Humanity because the animal shelter may be more "prevet" especially if that is your only non clinical volunteering.

For clinical experience, volunteering at a hospice would be great but don't feel pressured to get a certification in that field or anything nor that that is your only choice. You can do things like shadowing, which is clinical but not volunteering.

Your clinical experience and volunteering can be two separate things, and you don't have to get certified in anything for them to be your experiences.

For non clinical volunteering, between the two options you mentioned above I would stick to Habitat for Humanity because the animal shelter may be more "prevet" especially if that is your only non clinical volunteering.

For clinical experience, volunteering at a hospice would be great but don't feel pressured to get a certification in that field or anything nor that that is your only choice. You can do things like shadowing, which is clinical but not volunteering.

A lot of the job description for volunteering at a hospice or hospital (from my local sites) are things like taking patients flowers, helping clean, organizing, and things to that nature. Although it’s in a clinical setting, it’s not really considered clinical experience, is it? In terms of certifications, I was thinking maybe getting certified as a phlebotomist. It’s quick, relatively cheap, and I’m sure I could volunteer at blood drives and things like that. I was considering getting my EMT certification anyways and volunteering at festivals or any local events, but I’m unsure how any of that works. If I can just help at a hospice and clean and that be considered clinical experience, I’ll take what I can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the job description for volunteering at a hospice or hospital (from my local sites) are things like taking patients flowers, helping clean, organizing, and things to that nature. Although it’s in a clinical setting, it’s not really considered clinical experience, is it? In terms of certifications, I was thinking maybe getting certified as a phlebotomist. It’s quick, relatively cheap, and I’m sure I could volunteer at blood drives and things like that. I was considering getting my EMT certification anyways and volunteering at festivals or any local events, but I’m unsure how any of that works. If I can just help at a hospice and clean and that be considered clinical experience, I’ll take what I can get.

I'm not sure about hospices but from my volunteering in hospitals, there's a bunch of different areas with different responsibilities. There are areas with non-clinical duties that are more secretarial but there are also areas with definite clinical where you have direct patient contact and interaction. If you just clean, then yeah that's non-clinical but if you're constantly interacting with patients then that's clinical.

Oh ok, if it's not that hard to get the phlebotomy/EMT certification and you're planning to further your activities then go ahead. That will probably help you get more solid clinical experience. I was under the impression that you felt there was no point in doing that kind of work unless you got the certification itself as the end goal which shouldn't be the point.

I'm not sure about hospices but from my volunteering in hospitals, there's a bunch of different areas with different responsibilities. There are areas with non-clinical duties that are more secretarial but there are also areas with definite clinical where you have direct patient contact and interaction. If you just clean, then yeah that's non-clinical but if you're constantly interacting with patients then that's clinical.

Oh ok, if it's not that hard to get the phlebotomy/EMT certification and you're planning to further your activities then go ahead. That will probably help you get more solid clinical experience. I was under the impression that you felt there was no point in doing that kind of work unless you got the certification itself as the end goal which shouldn't be the point.

Phlebotomy certification is really quick and I can volunteer at places like the Red Cross. EMT is longer, but you learn a lot more and do a lot cooler stuff - although I can’t volunteer anywhere around here. I’d prefer EMT, but for my situation, it doesn’t seem smart to go through with. Phlebotomy is good though because I can pretty much find volunteer opportunities whenever. I was considering CNA, but I didn’t wanna clean poop for the entirety of my clinical experience lol

Red Cross is not "clinical" by my definition as you are not dealing with patients but with "volunteers" or "donors" (who are volunteers). That you stick them with a needle and take their blood does not make them patients.

Do you have any pediatric settings near you? There is always a need to hang out with the kids, supervise their use of crayons and markers, play games or watch videos with them, and clean the toys after they've been played with.

Frankly, I consider EMT to be glorified bus drivers.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Goro, just curious as to why you feel that way. I've never worked as an EMT, but from what I've seen working in law enforcement they perform a very respectable job.

Do NOT get a cert in anything unless you really want to work in a hospital for clinical experience. This is completely unnecessary.

Medical schools want to see patient interaction in a clinical setting. That's it. You don't need to take their vitals or cut them open or stick them with needles and have a certification for it to count. This is a myth of the past decade in premed. In the end, all a hospital job and certification will do to you is make you stressed and possibly do poorly in classes, while giving you some of the lowest pay out there for scut work.

I'm not saying its bad to be a CNA or EMT. They are fantastic jobs. Just not while you are taking classes or studying for MCAT for example. The best bang for your buck will be volunteering once a week at the ED, or in a clinic somehow. Minimal commitment, very little stress generally, get to see what is actually going on around you.

Look; everyone else is going to have volunteering in a hospital when you apply. If they don't, they will have work experience in hospital. You don't need to be creative here. Just pick something interesting and stick with it.

Reactions: 1 user