What college classes should I take prior to taking the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DLH101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Stats, Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Phys 1&2, OrgChem 1&2, and Psyc&Soc. Are there other classes I should take before the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

A philosophy class with a significant amount of reading will help your CARS score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochemistry & physiology.

EDIT: Cellular/molecular biology will be extremely helpful, too.

The only absolute I would add would be Biochem.
On the old mcat cell helped me, but physiology was next to useless.

If your school offers some sort of class where you read a lot of scholarly scientific articles, that would be helpful.

You shouldn't need stats for the MCAT but Biochem is a must.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about the new MCAT, but I found Analytical Chemistry (may also be called Quantitative Analysis) to be very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Why say biochem? Thats about as useful as saying, "uh, organic I would be pretty useful."

Well yea, of course it would be useful, its a section on the mcat.

By that metric, general bio would also be a class you want to look into for the mcat.

Why say biochem? Thats about as useful as saying, "uh, organic I would be pretty useful."

Well yea, of course it would be useful, its a section on the mcat.

By that metric, general bio would also be a class you want to look into for the mcat.

OP did not ask for useful classless, he asked what classes he should take (i.e. what is required).

From the OP's first post he did not have Biochem listed as a required course. So many people (especially those that did not take the new exam) believe they can self study biochem rather than taking the actual class. If you read the results of those that did that, it did not tend to work to anyone's advantage this year.

Reactions: 1 user
From the OP's first post he did not have Biochem listed as a required course. So many people (especially those that did not take the new exam) believe they can self study biochem rather than taking the actual class. If you read the results of those that did that, it did not tend to work to anyone's advantage this year.

Ok thanks. I wasn't aware so many people were attempting to self learn biochem.

Thanks everyone for the help!! Are there any classes that I can take to help with Verbal?