what constitutes a full-ride at a medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wammabamma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so lets say a school's yearly budget is 40k

20k is tuition
20k is personal expenses (rent, utilities, books, medical equipment, etc.)

so what would be considered a full-ride?

1) the school gives you 20k+ in grants (so they're covering your entire tuition every year thereby letting you attend school for free)

or

2) the school gives you 40k in grants (covering tuition + personal expenses). This means they're covering every single expense you would need (even your rent)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhDs can get the latter, but generally the best thing you hear MD students getting is a full-tuition scholarship, which covers tuition + fees. Correct me if I'm wrong.

does anyone else have an opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Lord take what you can get.

Reactions: 1 user
A full-ride is generally considered tuition + fees in Med school as far as I know also. They are few and far between from what I hear also.

I suppose a more important question is HOW does one get either

There are full rides that mean the scholarship equals the cost of attendance (the $40k).

stellar states..or adding some kind of diversity to the school....or know someone .

Sadly, the second is the most prevalent. Bringing in additional URMs is often the top priority of many medical schools, at the expense of locking in the absolute top students.

Sadly, the second is the most prevalent. Bringing in additional URMs is often the top priority of many medical schools, at the expense of locking in the absolute top students.
Diversity is not limited to URM stutus. Free your mind.

OP, to get scholarship dough you have to show the school that you are a necessity rather than a perk. Do stellar stats do that, somewhat. Every school wants to report high stats, except for maybe Tulane who actually seems to have an interest in who you are as a person.

I believe the best way to get scholarship dough is to absolutely nail the interview. Make them love you and want you so badly that they'll pay for you. Great stats won't do you a bit of good if you get rejected because your interview was subpar. Neither will urm status. Legacy may though.

Last edited:
Diversity is not limited to URM stutus. Free your mind.

OP, to get scholarship dough you have to show the school that you are a necessity rather than a perk. Do stellar stats do that, somewhat. Every school wants to report high stats, except for maybe Tulane who actually seems to have an interest in who you are as a person.

I believe the best way to get scholarship dough is to absolutely nail the interview. Make them love you and want you so badly that they'll pay for you. Great stats won't do you a bit of good if you get rejected because your interview was subpar. Neither will urm status. Legacy may though.

I knew my post would be the bat-signal for flaahless to show up.

Depending on your school of course, there will be scholarships devoted to everything. So, yeah, there are scholarships that are devoted to supporting a minority student, but there are also scholarships that everyone competes for. The scholarships also have stipulations. For instance, they could be for excellence in the undergrad years. We even have one at my school for someone in the bottom 25% of the pool of incoming students. It really just depends on the alumni or whoever donates the funds.

a full ride is when your friend picks you up in front of your house and drops you off at the front door of the school...and doesn't want gas money...

a full ride is when your friend picks you up in front of your house and drops you off at the front door of the school...and doesn't want gas money...

har har har. :laugh: