what constitutes Ties to the state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_2020

Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin lived my first 5 years in madison then my parents moved to Raleigh north carolina where I studied until 5th grade. Does any of these qualify me for ties with the state. Planning to apply for the coming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I'd say they're ties, but I don't know how strong they are because you were so young. I applied to a two midwestern schools with strong in-state biases and got acceptances. My ties were having spent most of my youth in one of them and then having lived in another for a year as an adult after my parents moved there (they were still there at the time of my application). I've heard NC schools are pretty rigorous when it comes to in state ties but if your parents are still there I think that would count as a strong tie. Ultimately I don't think you really lose much by shooting your shot.

We all moved together. Not lived there since we moved. Ties to the state has kind of vague definition. Currently living in colorado. Looking for some oos state schools to apply apart from private

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will require something like “graduated high school here” or “parents currently live here”

That’s something each school decides. Your ties seem kind of week IMO. When schools look at strong ties...they are looking for students who will be motivated to stay in the area after graduation. Most public schools want to serve their local areas.

If I move to medical school out of state with my entire family (meaning no house or relative in home state), when I apply for residency programs in my home state, can I claim any ties to my home state? I graduated high school and college here, and my family has been paying tax for my home state for years.