What counts as Biochemistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolitaireAddikt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I am a new pre-dent and I have a question about the biochemistry requirement that many schools have. I took a course this year (my second) called Cell Biology and Metabolism. It is listed under the Biology department, however, a very similar course is offered with the Biochemistry department (i.e., because I took this course, I can't take the equivalent in the biochemistry department). So basically, what I want to know is, does the course I took with the Biology department count? Or do I have to take a course in the Biochemistry Department to fulfill this requirement?

On another note- do Denistry school take AP credits for prereqs? I have AP physics credit and honestly have no desire to redo that class.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry is the name of the course. You will have to take biochemistry. As for the ap credit contact the schools you wish to apply to. Some take them some dont.

Members don't see this ad :)
typically cell biology would be a prereq to taking biochemistry. they're not the same class.

And depending on the school (like mine) Biochemistry is a 4000 level PURE chemistry class! No biology or medical information to cover. And the only requirement is Organic Chem I.....I got cheap advising and took Biochem without any Organic II. There were times I thought I had write my Will.....

I'm in Organic II now and it's a piece of cake!

And depending on the school (like mine) Biochemistry is a 4000 level PURE chemistry class! No biology or medical information to cover. And the only requirement is Organic Chem I.....I got cheap advising and took Biochem without any Organic II. There were times I thought I had write my Will.....

I'm in Organic II now and it's a piece of cake!

On the flip side my first biochem class was all clinically based. We didn't have to know the reactions just beginning and end. More emphasis was put on the biology of the body's chemistry. Moral of the story is you have to check with the schools you are interested in. Right now I am taking biochem II and wish we would have learned those pathways a little better the first time around :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and take the upper level biochemistry class then...

my school offered separate biochem classes through the chemistry and biology departments. the bio one was a single 4 credit class (which i took) and the chemistry one was two 3 credit classes. from what i heard they covered mostly the same material just a little more in depth/more memorizing/etc.