What counts during dedicated research year(s) in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pocket-medicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there are a number of academic programs that require/STRONGLY recommend dedicated research year(s), but do most of them do bench work during that time?
I'm very interested in global health work in surgery and I was wondering if residents can incorporate field work into global health research.
I came across Paul Farmer Global Surgery Fellowship that makes it feasible but are there any other research opportunities in surgery that count toward research years?

Thanks all for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto what southernIM said. What you're "allowed" to do is going to vary from program to program, and resident to resident. There are a number of things people do with that time, whether it be basic science, outcomes/health services research, an advance degree (MBA/MPH/MEd/etc), global health, critical care fellowship. However, some programs are going to be more open to something than others, especially if it's not been done at that program before. Also, the funding issue is a big part of it. The program may allow you to do something different, but they may also say you're on the hook to find your own funding/salary support. Most (likely all) of these places with required research have mechanisms to fund your salary if you participate in the "standard" activities.

Your best bet is certainly to find a program that has had residents do something similar. If you can't do that, then you're going to have to work very hard to sell your PD/Chair on the idea. That's going to require a bulletproof plan for how you will accomplish what you want, on top of being a good resident. Finally, your chances are much better of doing something if it's attached to a recognized program/fellowship since it's something the program can not only brag about, but there's at least some assurance that you aren't just trying to go on a 1-2 year vacation. I've heard of the Paul Gardner Fellowship, but you may also look into things like a Fulbright Scholarship. Hard to imagine a program would deny you if you got one.