What courses for year 2 of my post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepedmd81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm looking for some advice on how to go about the second half of my post-bacc program. I just finished a year of Physics and Gen Chem at Northwestern. My original plan was to take Orgo and Bio all this year and then the MCAT next spring/summer.

My dilemma is partly in the fact that as a post-bacc there is no financial aid available, and paying for 2 classes for 3 quarters out of pocket will be... challenging, to say the least. I'm also a little concerned about the workload of these two classes AND working nearly full-time (unfortunately this is a non-negotiable) AND volunteering AND studying for the MCAT...

Should I take these next two classes one at a time? I hate to push everything back another year... Or take out a private loan to pay for them and just say good-bye to my social life for the year?

OR, is this timeline feasible:
Take Bio and Orgo in the Fall
Take only Bio for the rest of the year
Take the MCAT summer '13
Apply to med schools in summer '13 for matriculation in summer of '14
Finish the orgo requirements spring of '14 before (hopefully) starting med school that summer

Am I likely to get accepted into schools having not completed the year of Organic Chem?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.