Quantcast

What courses to take

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a good state school in 2014 with a BS in Biology. Joined the military right afterwards. My grades weren't so hot when I finished school: 3.34 cGPA and 3.26 sGPA. I made C's in O-Chem 1 and 2, Evo Bio, and a C+ in Genetics. My AACOMAS cGPA is a 3.45 and my sGPA is still a 3.26. I've calculated that if I take 4 Post-Bac courses, 3 in the sciences, and make A's in them, I can raise my cGPA up to a 3.4 and my sGPA up to a 3.3. I know that's still on the low side, but I plan to apply broadly to both MD and DO. I'd prefer the DO school be more established, but we'll see what happens. My question is: should I retake the courses I made C's in? Or should I just find other classes to take? If so, what would I even take? I'm running out of sciences! Also, I wouldn't be able to take many of these courses at a time, maybe two per semester, and they'd be at the education office on base. They've partnered with a small school here, which actually offers a pretty decent variety of courses. How would Adcoms view the courses from a smaller school for a DIY Post-bac? TIA

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retake any F/D/C's in sciences and get your sgpa up. Take any missing std premed reqs and biochemistry. Smaller schools/DIY's are fine but if it's possible take courses at a 4yr college or uni. and make A's!!!

Do some reading in the AACOM MCIB (google it) and see what you need course wise and gpa/MCAT. You need to be seen as someone who went in the military and matured and now is ready for med school.

Then rock the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Best of Luck

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retake any F/D/C's in sciences and get your sgpa up. Take any missing std premed reqs and biochemistry. Smaller schools/DIY's are fine but if it's possible take courses at a 4yr college or uni. and make A's!!!

Do some reading in the AACOM MCIB (google it) and see what you need course wise and gpa/MCAT. You need to be seen as someone who went in the military and matured and now is ready for med school.

Then rock the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Best of Luck
Thanks, DrMikeP! I appreciate the response. One more question if you don't mind: do you know how Adcoms perceive members of the military who haven't deployed or work at large bases? I'll, more than likely, be stuck in a clinic for the entirety of my service.

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Adcoms greatly appreciate military service! Doesn't matter where and don't sell your service short.

Thanks for serving!

Reactions: 1 user

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@DrMikeP
Sorry, sir. I did think of another question. But do you happen to know how the Air Force CCAF would translate? As well as my tech training? They count as college courses, but I believe it's a P/F system. Will they contribute to my total number of course hours? I already have roughly 130 or so from college.

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@DrMikeP
Sorry, sir. I did think of another question. But do you happen to know how the Air Force CCAF would translate? As well as my tech training? They count as college courses, but I believe it's a P/F system. Will they contribute to my total number of course hours? I already have roughly 130 or so from college.

Not positive, but very likely would count as other P/F classes at other colleges, but they might not work for required sciences as quite a few schools require a C or higher.

Perhaps one of the AF or other admissions people (@Goro ) here might would know for sure, as I'd hate to give inaccurate info. It may also be med school dependent.