What did I do wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unleash500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to mostly low tier schools (20+ schools), and I got 0 interviews...

3.7 gpa
30 mcat 12/8/12
2 years research with poster presentation
80 hours clinical
0 hours shadowing
volunteer work + extra activities
no leadership

I realize the weaknesses in my ap, but is it so weak that I wouldnt get any interviews?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.7 gpa
30 mcat 12/8/12
80 hours clinical
0 hours shadowing
no leadership

I realize the weaknesses in my ap, but is it so weak that I wouldn't get any interviews?
Thanks

I think lower-tier schools care less about grades and more about volunteering and experience.

The high-tier schools focus more on GPA and MCAT. Some schools like the HBUC schools don't really care about scores at all. You really have to fit their mission and show them that through your experiences you are willing to help the under-served.

I think you just need some more volunteering experiences and definitely leadership experiences as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want real feedback, we need to know more. How well do your letter writers know you? What red flags may have come up? Are there any disciplinary actions you did not disclose?

Do you have any significant volunteer or EC activities, or does it read like a list of "things I did a few times to put on my resume?"

What about your personal statement? If you're not sure, go ahead and post it or send it as a PM.

Lastly, I think you should have probably applied to DO schools as well. Consider it if you decide to reapply.

3.7 gpa
30 mcat 12/8/12
80 hours clinical
0 hours shadowing
no leadership

I realize the weaknesses in my ap, but is it so weak that I wouldnt get any interviews?
Thanks
3.7: awesome
30 with an 8 on verbal: out of balance with GPA, renders you average
shadowing: don't care
leadership: don't care
LORs: possible red flag
PS: possible red flag

As I've recently learned, schools that get the most apps are either inexpensive or have lower matriculant averages... and "lower tier" implies "most likely to lose your app in a sea of similar applicants."

Best of luck to you.

How about science gpa?

MCAT, a little below avg.
GPA average.

Clinical experience, too low. I'd like to see at least 200 hours.

Try to get some feedback. Make sure you don't have a bad LOR.
Have someone read your PS.

Easiest thing to fix is the MCAT. Study your butt off and try to get a 33+.
You will see a world of difference if you do that.

Last edited:
How can I find out if I have a bad LOR or not?

I tried to email a lot of the schools asking what went wrong on my application, but all of them told me that they cannot disclose that type of information

Thanks!

Not to be a wise guy, but 12+8+12=32. Did you mistype?

I know how you feel. Trust me. 31 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, 2 clinical jobs (EMT and ER Tech), a year of research with 2 published papers and a speech presentation, plus volunteer experience and other activities that keep me sane, and I didn't even get an interview at my dad's alma mater, where he's on staff as an attending.

My opinion is that the application process is a human process and therefore a flawed process. Who the heck knows why some people get in and some people dont, once you dip into the "typical med school applicant" pool. Sometimes I think that reapplication is sort of a pennance that we have to do to justify our notion that this is what we really want to do.

The key is to keep trying. You know where your weaknesses lie, you know how to fix em.... so fix em! Spend the year off as a grad student and work a clinical job (pull strings, cuz its the only way in this job environment) and God forbid, have a lil fun! Bar it up a few nites a week and enjoy your year off before the 4 most difficult academic years of your life. Make sure you don't leave your youth with any regrets and try again next year and the year after if need be.

I asked my dad's partner (who was a reapplicant back in the day) what he did and how he managed, and thats the advice he gave me. What stuck out most was what he said: "If you're willing to let someone tell you 'No', then you don't belong doing this job anyways."
Best of luck the 2nd time around!

have no idea about your question

sorry for my poor

3.7 gpa
30 mcat 12/8/12
80 hours clinical
0 hours shadowing
no leadership

Thanks

I'd recommend that you redo you MCAT. 8 is slightly below the baseline, of 9-10, most schools desire 10-10-10 >30.

Remember it's competitive, while your application isn't "stellar," the others will be. I had the chance to see a resume from a friend I know who got into McGill, he has a page worth of scholarships, participated in two medical literature reviews, played sports at a semi-pro level, and was part of many scholarly committees (student government, charitable and educational event organizer and school ambassador). In addition to clinical and volunteering.

In your case, for leadership, if you can, student government and helping organizing events counts as leadership and shadowing a physician isn't hard, you just have to call a physician or community hospital, and they'll usually help you out, if they cannot offer you a place, they will certainly point out where else to search.

3.7 gpa
30 mcat 12/8/12
80 hours clinical
0 hours shadowing
no leadership

Thanks

Starting from the begining, your MCAT is average but the imbalance of scores raises some flags especially with your verbal score of an 8. I know its a difficult section but verbal is actually the best predictor of your score on your STEPs.

Your research seems solid as does your GPA. However, your clinical experience is less than optimal as is your shadowing which could be lumped together. One of the things that medical schools are going to wonder is how is it that you know that you really want to be a physician?

Think about this.