What did you do in your gap year?

Started by Lombax
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lombax

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a senior who will be applying to medical schools this summer. I want to find something meaningful and fulfilling to do during the gap year/application year. So far I've come up with post bacc research training programs, volunteering/shadowing only, HealthCorp/AmeriCorps, some sort of temp job, or tutoring part-time while shadowing/volunteering (although I can only find about max 15 hours/week of tutoring). I'm sure there are dozens of other ideas...

For those of you that did a gap year, did you just recently graduate? Were you a first time applicant? What did you do and how did you like it? Were you interviewing at this time? I'm sure it was mentioned quite a bit in the interview, no? Is this what you wrote majority of your secondaries on regarding, "what are you currently up to…"

Also, if were you successful in gaining admissions, how competitive of an applicant were you to begin with (without the gap year experience, as in your numbers on paper).

I know I should do something that is important to me, but I am just wondering if anyone had any successful experiences? I feel like I have a lot of options and I don't know exactly where to start. Any input would be great, thanks.
 
I waited until the summer after senior year to apply. The week after I graduated I moved into my own apartment and started a full-time job working as a lab tech in a hospital while continuing a clinical research project. Do you have any oppositions to working full-time? Do you have any need for income or real-world experience? I'd say getting into the workforce and possibly dealing with the general public would be a good way to widen your worldview and mature. I mean, volunteer, tutor, blah blah blah is so generic and childish sounding. I think it's weird to be 22 with a college degree and not hold down a full-time job. Ok that was kind of a rant. No offense if you've already had working experience.

Yes, I was asked a lot in secondaries what my "current activities" were. In an interview I was also asked about my job in the hospital.

The gap year advantage is factoring in good senior year grades and upon graduation devoting full-time efforts into gaining good clinical or life experience. Mature applicants are generally looked well upon.
 
I have been working at Seattle Children's Research Institute for 2 years and was lucky enough to keep my job for my "Gap Year."

I ended up taking a gap year b/c I had originally applied to law school but decided I'd rather practice medicine than law.

If possible, you should get a job that gives you lots of flexibility in your schedule so that you can take a couple days off for MCAT/Primaries/Secondaries, and take time off to fly to interviews. My research position has been really good for that because the schedule is VERY flexible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree about tutoring sounding quite childish, it's not something I want to continue to do. I'm not too thrilled about doing it even for a test prep company. I have over 4 years (~1000 hours) of volunteering at the same underserved clinic, which was great, but I'm ready to find something else. So yes I completely agree with the blah blah blah sentiment. I'm sure if I feel that way, adcoms will too.

I would like to find work full time, which is why I mentioned the postbac training research which pays you while they train you. I was wondering if anyone had done non-research related full time work and their success, or is research/lab work the main way to go?

How did you go about getting research positions? Were you already familiar with the researchers or did you just email people regarding your research interests? I'm finding that I'm having a difficult time with this since I don't have prior research experience... Any suggestions?
 
I agree about tutoring sounding quite childish, it's not something I want to continue to do. I'm not too thrilled about doing it even for a test prep company. I have over 4 years (~1000 hours) of volunteering at the same underserved clinic, which was great, but I'm ready to find something else. So yes I completely agree with the blah blah blah sentiment. I'm sure if I feel that way, adcoms will too.

I would like to find work full time, which is why I mentioned the postbac training research which pays you while they train you. I was wondering if anyone had done non-research related full time work and their success, or is research/lab work the main way to go?

How did you go about getting research positions? Were you already familiar with the researchers or did you just email people regarding your research interests? I'm finding that I'm having a difficult time with this since I don't have prior research experience... Any suggestions?


I am now working full-time in research at a medical school, which I found by browsing yahoo hot jobs. However, if there is a med school close to you, there are many research positions available for people with a B.S. posted on their website. It might be ok if you don't have previous research experience as long as you have science classes and lab skills listed on your resume. If you don't have luck with that I found I had no problem getting hired at the hospital because they liked that I was premed. Although, those jobs are hard to get sometimes if you do not have some sort of certification. What is your degree in? You might find that getting an ordinary entry level position in your field will pay you more and that experience may make you even more well-rounded. Good luck!
 
I agree about tutoring sounding quite childish, it's not something I want to continue to do. I'm not too thrilled about doing it even for a test prep company. I have over 4 years (~1000 hours) of volunteering at the same underserved clinic, which was great, but I'm ready to find something else. So yes I completely agree with the blah blah blah sentiment. I'm sure if I feel that way, adcoms will too.

I would like to find work full time, which is why I mentioned the postbac training research which pays you while they train you. I was wondering if anyone had done non-research related full time work and their success, or is research/lab work the main way to go?

How did you go about getting research positions? Were you already familiar with the researchers or did you just email people regarding your research interests? I'm finding that I'm having a difficult time with this since I don't have prior research experience... Any suggestions?



i'm in a gap year now doing nothing medically related-i'm working as a nanny. i don't think it's hurt me at all so far in the admissions process. i felt like i already had a good amount of volunteer and health-related experience (which it seems like you do too), so i didn't worry about the fact that i wasn't doing the research assistant thing like many people do. i'm having a fun and relaxing year working with a great family and am so glad i didn't do something medically related just to have it "look good". in fact, i think adcoms actually like to see a little variety. feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about my application or anything🙂
 
to answer some of your original questions:

-i was pretty much a first time applicant (i'd taken the mcat the previous summer and submitted the primary app, but didn't submit any secondaries due to a poor score)

-i interviewed this fall while working and my family i nanny for was really understanding (i was upfront with them when i interviewed for the job that i'd have to go on med school interviews so i think that helped). i actually had a friend who could fill in for me most days i was gone so it worked out perfectly.

-it did get brought up at almost every interview and they all seemed to look favorably on my job even though it's not medically related

-my stats are 3.9/31 (retake from a 26)

hope that helps, good luck!
 
I double majored in econ, so I got a corporate job for my gap year, and I am involved in nothing medically related right now because my job takes >50 hours a week and I can only take one day off for each interview, which is pretty rough since I would get in at around midnight the day before the interview, but the upside is I have more money to spend, like buying a new car and any gadgets that I want and eat out for every meal and still save up. And also, it's something interesting to talk about during my interviews.
 
I'm not taking a year off, but if I were, I would work at whatever job I could get that paid me the most money. Looking at the cost of attendance for med schools is freaking me out! I think you should save up as much as possible so you don't need to borrow so much. Just my opinion - good luck with whatever you decide!
 
In my first year post-college, I taught ESL in Europe, working with companies, public schools, and individuals through a private language school. Then I came back in August to be in the US for the first part of the application cycle and worked full time in a daycare. And now I'm back in Europe teaching ESL again until the summer.

I'll let you know how it worked out for me at the end of the admissions cycle, though... for now I'm still waiting to hear...
 
Full time surgery research at a med school. 3 12-hr shifts a week means more free time than I know what to do with and lots of flexible time for interviews. I don't want this year to end.
 
So how did you guys go about getting these jobs? Was it simply an application --> interview --> hired ? or did you know someone who helped you in the application process, as in had some sort of contacts?

If you work in a medical office, how did they handle the fact that you only want to work there for 1-2 years? Was this mentioned when you applied there?

For those getting research positions, did you have any prior research experience, or was the research you participated in the gap year the first you've experienced?

Thank you all for replying, getting info from so many different backgrounds is really helping me a lot.
 
In the summer I studied for the MCAT, this past fall I took some courses and now I'm doing clinical research for a specialist physician. I have 1 or 2 vacations planned for this summer and will probably be working up until school starts unless I go to one of the OOS schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my job by chance actually. I finished my CNA class and ironically, my brother's physician said that he was looking for a CNA in his office. A week later he interviewed me and offered me the job. I let him know ahead of time about my plans for med school. He was very understanding and supportive with it. In fact, the physicians at my office are always trying to teach me about the "interesting" patient conditions. 🙂
 
Americorps VISTA.

Great convo topic during interviews, REALLY flexible in terms of interview scheduling, really tough/a pain in the ass in every other regard.

Definitely worth it though (If you get a good assignment)
 
Americorps VISTA.

Great convo topic during interviews, REALLY flexible in terms of interview scheduling, really tough/a pain in the ass in every other regard.

Definitely worth it though (If you get a good assignment)


this sounds good as well.... I see from your MDapps that you worked as a Health Initiative Coordinator in a rural area. This sounds demanding and interesting. How could I get to doing something like that? do you mind telling me here, or if I PM you?? Thanks.
 
I'm applying to med school this year, and I just had a second interview for a clinical research job that is designed specifically as a gap year position. My interviewers currently in this position love it, and said it's the perfect job for someone applying to med school. It's hard work, and they pay isn't great (under $20/hour), but they allow you to take as much time off as needed to travel for interviews. They also said that the residency director personally contacts ADCOMs on their behalf, both during the application process and the day or two prior to the interview...so when they show up for the interview, their interviewers greet them with, "Oh, we heard from Dr. X about what you've been doing. Welcome!" Only about 4-6 people actually get this job, but it's fantastic. Everyone who's ever been accepted to this program is currently accepted into decent MD programs, or has long since graduated. I'm crossing my fingers! Definitely look into programs like this one.

There are also some post-bacc/SMP programs that basically guarantee you admission to their med school. My uGPA/sGPA are both really competitive (over 3.7), but if I wasn't supporting myself, I'd definitely shell out the money to do one. One of my mentors has sent over a dozen students to do a one-year post-bacc at BU, and every single student has gotten into BU/Tufts med or vet. Some went for GPA rehab (3.6 or lower) and others went only because BU was their top choice anyway, and they wanted a "guaranteed" position (based upon success in the program, obviously). This is different from most post-bacc/SMP programs in that sense, but it's definitely not the only one out there.

My back-up plan for the gap year is to take the Americorps position I was offered, or to go back to the hospital where I worked prior to returning to school for a significantly better salary than either of the options I already have. The benefit to Americorps is that the work you do definitely helps the community, and they pay a livable wage and defer your student loans. It's an especially good option if you don't have much volunteer experience. I'm only debating it because I volunteered abroad for years before returning to school, and worked for Americorps throughout school. It's a great organization, but if you've already done a lot of volunteering, it may be worth getting a more lucrative job and saving your pennies for med school...not that you'll save much, but a few extra thousand in your bank account will definitely offset the overlooked expenses.
 
I see the previous poster is looking into a paid clinical research position. How about the rest of you that are doing some sort of research? Is this a paid gig? And is it full time?

the three 12 hour shifts, is that paid? I need to find something like that... sounds like a great schedule.
 
I don't really care about money and working... so I spent my gap year doing research, and this year doing volunteering and shadowing.

I'd do AmeriCorps but so far I find any job outside of academia/medicine completely unsatisfying, so basic volunteering kinda sucks for me.

I kinda find it funny that you talk about saving pennies for medical school when you're going to graduate with $200k+ in debt anyway.
 
So how did you guys go about getting these jobs? Was it simply an application --> interview --> hired ? or did you know someone who helped you in the application process, as in had some sort of contacts?

If you work in a medical office, how did they handle the fact that you only want to work there for 1-2 years? Was this mentioned when you applied there?

For those getting research positions, did you have any prior research experience, or was the research you participated in the gap year the first you've experienced?

Thank you all for replying, getting info from so many different backgrounds is really helping me a lot.

Basically I just applied to almost every research job on the UCSF website over a period of 6 weeks, wrote a million cover letters, and got one interview. Other people I know had hook-ups or contacts. Competition is fierce, though- apparently for my job there were >200 applicants for 3 spots, so I'm not surprised I didn't hear from anyone else, esp basic science labs (since my state school humanities degree was competing with lots of B.S.'s from Stanford and Cal). I did have some relevant experience for my job from my previous lab volunteering, and since funding was only through September 2010 they were fine with hiring pre-meds. It was sort of ideal for everyone involved and we'd all leave around the time they'd have to fire us anyway. Really flexible and supportive of interviews too. Doesn't pay much but is otherwise ideal.

Snoop around your campus and see if anybody knows anybody. Start sucking up now because job-hunting is almost as soul-crushing as applying to med school and the earlier you get started the less stressful it'll be. Probably.
 
Snoop around your campus and see if anybody knows anybody. Start sucking up now because job-hunting is almost as soul-crushing as applying to med school and the earlier you get started the less stressful it'll be. Probably.

You know, if you really wanted a job, just go work for a sushi restaurant or something. Those pay well ;p
 
Oh believe me, I wasn't just applying for research jobs. Restaurants, coffee shops, hotels, guinea pig for new drugs... I didn't really care as long as it paid the rent. SF is a hirer's market though!
 
$ is king out here.

$ to live, $ to experience life. Definitely do that, this is the last chance you will ever really have to go to whatever the hell you want to do, don't get caught up in the game too early. get a nice job that'll pay, work until march/april, then go on a vacation and come back for med school. you won't regret it 🙂

MD apps on the left.
 
For me, it's not about saving pennies for medical school. (only one other poster mentioned this) It's not even about pennies really since I would even appreciate part time meaningful work while working some where else to pay rent. It's about not living in my parents basement playing Ratchet and Clank for a year. (which has it's up's but.... not something I would really learn or grow from)

I'll look into applying.... nonstop... everywhere. I'm determined to find something.

How soon before you guys had your current positions did you know where you would be? I feel I'm getting a little antsy because I would like to know NOW for something that is secure for July.

It's tough out there...... 😳
 
I am in the same position.. my current job says they could hire me full time for a couple of months.. so I might take them up. Although, I'm looking for something that pays a little better, as my current salary is too close to minimum wage. I think I will just work and save to go travel the coming year. We should keep in touch Lombax, it's a little reassuring when you are not the only one dealing with a certain situation. 🙂
 
In my state, it is very easy to become a Middle School or High School teacher if you have a Bachelors degree. No previous education experience or classes are needed. I am currently teaching Anatomy and Biology (I have never even taken Anatomy) and I taught Chemistry and Biology last semester (our public high schools have block scheduling).

I work from 7:15- 2:40, get every holiday imaginable off, have a 2-week Winter Break, 1 week Spring break and I will be off for the summer before medical school starting June 10. I also make around $40,000 a year that I am trying to save.

Check out your state's requirements for a temporary teaching certificate. I'd imagine they will start hiring heavily from May- August. There may be some sort of competency test you may need to pass. I had to, I didn't even study and passed each subject on the first shot.
 
I made $500+ from being a guinea pig for a month...

It wasn't even a drug, it was perfumes.
 
I was/am on a Fulbright and living abroad for the gap year. It made interviewing kind of a pain, and I've been surviving largely on ramen noodles, but other than that 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this sounds good as well.... I see from your MDapps that you worked as a Health Initiative Coordinator in a rural area. This sounds demanding and interesting. How could I get to doing something like that? do you mind telling me here, or if I PM you?? Thanks.

Yeah just pm me, basically it takes a lot of searching and a healthy dose of luck.
 
I applied this cycle. I think I've been moderately successful, but you can judge for yourself. I spent the better part of my already busy senior spring applying for dozens of research assistant positions because I thought it would be something I was interested in and something that matched my skill set. I was looking for one-year research positions all around the US and some abroad. I had basically no success with cold emails and applications through university websites and that kind. I suspect the few interviews I did get were because the PIs knew my school or my references or both. I was upfront about my need to have time off to do interviews (weeks at a time for several interviews bundled together). Although I know people who took two-year positions and are planning to ditch for med school, I didn't use this approach because in general I am not an ass.

I ended up working a foreign research job that was right up my alley and am drawing a small stipend. It has been enjoyable, has been fodder for secondaries and interviews hasn't failed to pique the interest of interviewers. As has been mentioned, I wouldn't recommend applying from abroad unless you enjoy long flights and empty bank accounts. But plenty of applicants I've run into have interesting research jobs closer to home, or are working in biotech or are somehow involved in healthcare.

Above all else, start applying now. Don't wait until summer. (I think maybe you've already started applying?) I would definitely recommend looking for a paid position, trying to support yourself, it's just good life experience. Work your connections, and if your college has an alumni network or career services office, don't hesitate to make use of them, because it works. I would be leery of post-bacc programs that require you to pay--you can definitely find rewarding and useful experiences that don't cost you money, unless you need that GPA boost.

I hope this is somewhat helpful for you.
 
Did anyone worked as a EMT or ER tech during the gap year? I'm planning to take a 2 month EMT course in the summer and look for jobs afterwards. Just want to see if there's anyone who took a similar path...
 
EMT jobs are hard to find. NEVER mention your med school aspirations while applying for these jobs. Tell them you wanna become a paramedic.

ER tech is more easily achieved with a CNA and then ECG / ACLS classes.

If money is no issues, phlebotomy tech is very high in demand and the training takes the amount of time as EMT or CNA.
 
I see... I just did a quick search of possible places to take phlebotomy classes in the San Gabriel Valley area (Socal) and seems like not very many places offer them. I'm considering taking the CNA route as it's only 2 months for the courses offered by a community college... which leaves me the possibility of working for another 10 months.

Thanks for the tips on EMT jobs.. I never knew they were THAT hard... thought it was the "easy" route.
 
My gap year I applied to and was hired with a Baxter Healthcare company and was going to work as a Phlebotomist, but got a better job and cut that one. I continued through with my volunteer work (by far the best part of my resume/application) and was asked to return for a second year on the Executive Steering Committee for our regional Komen Foundation, and jumped at that opportunity. I don't know how to categorize my "competitiveness" since my background, etc. makes my application interesting, but I'll try to give you the short version.
-I'm a first generation college student from a poor family (and I don't mean "middle class, our car is four years old and we're thinking about upgrading" poor, I mean actually poor). I started college in electrical engineering and tried to combine it with pre-med which was a mistake. My first year's GPA drug down my overall GPA for the next few years. I had to work a part-time job every semester I was in college to make ends meet, but I was doing alright. I switched to Biology second year, got a new advisor, and started volunteering. I was a student ambassador for my university, volunteered at the local christian clinic and emergency room, and a number of other one or two day projects, etc. Third year I dove into my volunteer work and was selected for a board of about 8 students that coordinate all major volunteer events for our 20,000 student university. I took the MCAT and did fine, but not well. A lot of that was probably due to the woeful lack of preparation (my fault, I was unable to keep up with MCAT prep and a demanding job that summer). Senior year I applied and intensified my volunteer work- I was appointed to the president position of the student volunteer board and really loved it- I got to work with high level staff and was given leeway and opportunity to completely reshape how we do student volunteerism and was successful in tripling our volunteer hours on campus and gaining newspaper, radio, and TV coverage of our events for the first time ever. I was also asked to serve on the regional Susan G. Komen committee and accepted. Applied to med schools, but didn't finish a number of applications due to financial constraints. Got waitlisted to my top pick (in-state school, luckily). Summer drug by, I graduated and was working full time as a mid-level management position with our university's conference division. Applied to be a phlebotomist, was hired, but before I ever reported for work I applied, interviewed, and was hired as an Admissions Counselor at my recent alma mater. I took that job and began in a new position as our school's first Arts and Sciences recruiter. I got the letter saying wait-list was up, reapplied, interviewed, etc, and found out last week that I've been accepted. I don't know what combination of me made them want me this year or if my gap year helped significantly, but that's my story.
 
How did you get certified as a Phlebotomist? Did you take classes at a community college? How hard is it to get hired once you get the certification? What was the application process like through Baxter?

Just found out the phlebotomy courses near my area costs $1.5k!
 
Last edited:
How did you get certified as a Phlebotomist? Did you take classes at a community college? How hard is it to get hired once you get the certification? What was the application process like through Baxter?

Just found out the phlebotomy courses near my area costs $1.5k!

I wasn't, actually. Baxter owns the Biolife Plasma collection facilities around the US (which are normally very nice and clinic-like compared to the other companies I've seen). I applied as a "Plamsa collection technician", but after meeting with the center manager, she said they could train me as a phlebotomist within the first month or so of my job (I think they needed them more than techs at the time), and until I was certified I'd do records and screening. I know it's costly to get certified independently, and it's even harder to get a phleb. job willing to train you, so I don't know how people do it. The application process through Baxter is LONG... I applied through their web application (they make you), and was just very persistant after that. I think having my degree made me more appealing to them at the time, but it still took about two months to get officially hired. I ended up not taking the job, unfortunately when I got the other offer, but I think it would have been a pretty good place to work from what I've heard.
 
Did anyone worked as a EMT or ER tech during the gap year? I'm planning to take a 2 month EMT course in the summer and look for jobs afterwards. Just want to see if there's anyone who took a similar path...

I currently actually do both of those things while still in undergrad. I think that getting my EMT license was the best thing i did right now. I actually started the class just as i was wrapping up high school. They are both very enjoyable jobs ( if you have enjoyable coworkers....which i do) and i am gaining so much experience from both of them. I would highly recommend them.
 
I worked full time as engineer for an aerospace company. Made decent amount of money. I also continued volunteering and shadowing.
 
How do you get into something like that? I have a friend who has been in a few theatre shows at school and what not and has done 1 commercial and he would love an opportunity like that just to get some experience........not to mention easy money
 
I see... I just did a quick search of possible places to take phlebotomy classes in the San Gabriel Valley area (Socal) and seems like not very many places offer them. I'm considering taking the CNA route as it's only 2 months for the courses offered by a community college... which leaves me the possibility of working for another 10 months.

Thanks for the tips on EMT jobs.. I never knew they were THAT hard... thought it was the "easy" route.

Hey I am from the San Gabriel Valley, got my EMT cert about 2 years ago and even though I ended up not working as an EMT there were plenty of jobs. We had people come in to my class and try to hire us. Mostly all transport though and this was before the economic crunch but there were TONS of transport jobs in So Cal, particularly orange county was where I was looking.
 
Hey I am from the San Gabriel Valley, got my EMT cert about 2 years ago and even though I ended up not working as an EMT there were plenty of jobs. We had people come in to my class and try to hire us. Mostly all transport though and this was before the economic crunch but there were TONS of transport jobs in So Cal, particularly orange county was where I was looking.

I second that for LA and Orange Counties. Plenty of ambulance companies came during class trying to recruit would be EMTs. Most of the open spots are for boring IFT (inter-facility transports) jobs though. But I didn't actually work as EMT, since I got a job as a medical scribe at the main teaching hospital of my top choice med school 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll let you know after my interview today! 🙂 I am interviewing for an anesthesiology position (research and writing that pays, imagine that!) that would start after pre-meds are over in June. SO, I hope the meeting goes well today and I get that gig. It's tailored to me, perfectly, Anesthesia is my love, job is right up my alley, and I would really like this spot for the gap year...

Aside from that, write as many scripts as possible to cover medical school costs, and THEN SOME!

Maybe take a trip, who knows. Haven't been back to LA in a while.

Dad duties X2. 🙂

And more!

Not really a gap year for me, just another year of working and living. 🙂
D712
 
I was wondering if anyone had done non-research related full time work and their success, or is research/lab work the main way to go?

I work as a full-time phlebotomist in the hospital near my house. I graduated in 2008, went to school to learn to draw blood (though this isn't always necessary... my supervisor has hired more than a few people who have never stuck a needle in someone's arm before), then got hired in January 2009. I applied in June, and got two acceptances by the end of October (granted, I haven't heard anything since then, but it's something).

So, yes, I've done non-research work. I interact with people all the day, and have really come to understand how a hospital works. And all the people working in the lab with me say I'll be a great doctor because I understand how things work in the lab better than someone who doesn't make that transition.
 
In my first year post-college, I taught ESL in Europe, working with companies, public schools, and individuals through a private language school. Then I came back in August to be in the US for the first part of the application cycle and worked full time in a daycare. And now I'm back in Europe teaching ESL again until the summer.

I'll let you know how it worked out for me at the end of the admissions cycle, though... for now I'm still waiting to hear...
How did you get into ESL teaching in Europe?