What did you still have to pay for out of pocket w/HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chill45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I will hear something come December and can submit my application for the Navy HPSP. I was just wondering to those of you that already have this scholarship what some of the things were in school that you still had to pay for out of pocket that the scholarship did not cover? I have a friend that is in his first year with the Army HPSP and he noted a couple things that they did not pay for that he thought they would so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully I will hear something come December and can submit my application for the Navy HPSP. I was just wondering to those of you that already have this scholarship what some of the things were in school that you still had to pay for out of pocket that the scholarship did not cover? I have a friend that is in his first year with the Army HPSP and he noted a couple things that they did not pay for that he thought they would so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thank you.

The HPSP will pay for anything that is REQUIRED by the school. If you school requires loupes, they will pay for them...if they don't require them...they won't be paid for...I bought all brand new textbooks and lots of dentoform teeth when I was in school.

I'm a d1. They do not pay for taxes. Since my school requires us to buy 13k worth of dental materials. I had I put out about 1.3k to cover for tax. Beside that they do not cover loupe light, so it's also another 500 there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy will reimburse you for the loupe light. The total reimbursable amount for loupes/light is around 1500. Mine was about 2200 so I spent roughly 700 out of pocket on my loupes. I think we've spent a total of about 6k for the whole 4 years for out of pocket required expenses for school. Everything else the Navy has paid.

Thanks for all the replies, that is helpful.

They quit reimbursing taxes in 2011.
From the Navy HPSP student handbook.
"3-9. Shipping and Handling Fees and Sales Taxes. Shipping and
handling fees are not reimbursable. Taxes are no longer
reimbursable. U.S Tax Exemption Form SF-1094 was established
for purchases made by the Government. Participants should
complete the form and present it to the vendor prior to
purchase. It is up to each vendor whether the SF-1094 will be
accepted or not. There is no way to force a vendor to accept it."

My bookstore accepted it and have kept it on file since my D1 year when it started. Pays (literally) to read the student handbook occasionally :)

Thanks for that information. That'll be great to know in the future if I can get this scholarship.

bump for more info if anyone has something to add?

Also sort of related, do we get reimbursed for deposits? And do we have to pay the first wave of tuition and then get reimbursed, or will navy pay for it?

As stated above, taxes and finance charges will not be reimbursed. I had finance charges because I didn't have enough to pay for my kit up front so I had to pay it in chunks as I got reimbursed by the Army. The loupe limit is $1,400 for Army at least. Also, recently, they have been enforcing limits on the price of textbooks, which is pretty lame. Most don't buy any texts but I decided to buy a few. There are definitely little exceptions here and there but for the most part, I'm just happy about what is covered and the regular stipend.

What they pay for is mostly things that are "required" by your school. However, that "required" is always up to intepretation. I had some of my claims denied for reimbursement while my classmates had the exact same claim accepted; all because their last name started with a different letter than mine so they had a different person processing their claims. However, in general, I had very little to pay for out-of-pocket. The majority of things that were no payed for were things like books that were "required" by the professor but not by the school on a required book list. Issue like that are very minor though especially when the Army is covering around $250-500k (depending on school).