What did you wear to your medical school interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone wore to their medical school interview. Does it vary by school or is it pretty much a consistent expectation? Please post the medical school and what you wore.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's the same no matter where you go; wear a suit and tie. It's pretty much a requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just get a dark suit (black or navy), basically conform. everyone walks around looking like they are going to a funeral. it's really not the place you wanna stand out at. I saw one hot pink suit last interview season, and of course, there's always a hunter green in the bunch :p

What about for women?

a stained blue dress.

Originally posted by omisoc
What about for women?

I've bought a pant suit and comfortable heals from Naturalizer.

Wear a hunter green suit, it makes you stand out and looks very professional....

Seriously, wear a navy blue blazer with khaki pants and white shirt, navy blue tie, brown shoes.

Or wear a navy blue blazer, navy blue pants, a light blue shirt, a yellow (tasteful yellow) tie, and brown shoes.

Either of these look good...girls, I have no idea, but I disliked a gril that showed up in a little black dress, it sent the wrong message, like "who do I have to ... to get admitted.":p

do you think that a dark hunter green is a bad idea ??

It really doesn't matter what color your suit/pants suit is. Just use common sense and look professional. I've seen great looking suits that were yellow and cheesy looking suits that were yellow. I've seen ugly black suits and classy black suits.

It all depends. Just look neat and professional, and "you."

I think its just important to dress nice, at my interview I was the only person not dressed in a dark suit, like most of the time had to be the different one of the group, not on purpose though. I wore light kakis blue shirt and sport coat. I don't think that you should try to stand out but not sure its a overly bad thing, they'll remember ya haha

Before my very first med school interview I actually called the office and asked the receptionist what to wear so I wouldn't screw up. She said "black suit. That's it."

So I took that as bible.

And for the love of god, no green suits. You look like sod.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went in black slacks, a nice sweater and timberland like boots because it was what I was comfortable in. Granted, I was the only one at my interviews not in a suit and without one of those funny leather folders the other students were carrying around.

Worked for me..or at least I got into the schools I wanted to. I dunno, just be comfortable: casual to professional looking is fine.

Whatever makes you confident and feel comfortable.

I think Dr. Trek was right on ... wear something neat and professional that makes you comfortable. They really aren't marking you on your clothing...

My suit was dark purple and I was the only one at any of my interviews wearing purple... but I was comfortable, it probably helped me stand out a little bit, and things worked out just fine. I had both pants and a skirt for my suit, and I wore a skirt to my first interview, thinking that a skirt would be expected for girls... when I found out that nearly all the gals had pants on, I switched to pants for the rest of my interviews ... more comfortable! :)

I wore a charcoal gray suit with faint pinstripes. Yes it was by some famous designer, but I got it on sale for $99 at Today's Man (Philly area chain). I got a bunch of positive comments for having a suit that wasn't blue or black.

I'm sure it didn't help me get in, but I just want to point out you don't have to go blue or black. Just use your best judgement :)

did anyone else notice any regional differences in dress?
If found that on the west coast, women were a little less conservative in their interview attire than on the East Coast? or maybe it's cuz I'm comparing a school like USC vs. Georgetown :)

Having been in the business world, I am soooo very tired of the traditional black business suit I hated it in college when interviewing, I hated it in the business world.

Therefore, the only time I wore my "black traditional business suit" was to the only school I interviewed at and did not get accepted or waitlisted.

I ended up wearing a blackish/gray pinstripe pantsuit with small black heals for every other interview. It was funny. Most of the time, I ended up getting recognized for this fact when I was at allopathic schools. DO schools were much more relaxed & layed back. It was a refreshing change.

Wear what is comfortable yet professional. You won't go wrong if you do so.

Leave the leather portfolio home, you're not carrying writing samples/resumes like on a job interview.

I wore my favorite suit for all my interviews: a medium grey suit with long skirt from Ann Taylor with a pink (yes, pink - think a light rose) silk blouse (it really warmed up my pale skin). Oh, and knee high black leather boots under the skirt (knee high side slit in the skirt showed off the boots). To keep from looking like a poor little rich girl I kept the jewlery to simple, tiny gold earings and a very small, discrete diamond solitaire necklace that my mom gave me when I dumped an old boyfriend and started dating someone nice. Pulled my waist length hair back off my face and clasped it into a ponytail with a black leather barrett.

Most important, since I had worked out the details on how I looked, I FELT like I looked good and was walking with confidence. That's the key.

Oh, and I was the only girl at any of my interviews NOT wearing a black suit with a blue blouse. SO glad I wasn't a clone, I wore what worked best for me.

Side note for the ladies: don't wear a patterned bra under a silk blouse, or keep your jacket buttoned. Took off my jacket after my first interview at my first school, noticed a few minutes later (thankfully before my next interviewer came to get me) that my Lucky Bra (leopard print from Vicki's) was visible. Whoops :laugh:

Originally posted by Doc Ivy
did anyone else notice any regional differences in dress?
If found that on the west coast, women were a little less conservative in their interview attire than on the East Coast? or maybe it's cuz I'm comparing a school like USC vs. Georgetown :)

Actually, I did notice this.

I was told by several people that girls should wear a black suit with a skirt. I don't know how religiously to take that, but I decided not to take chances. At some of my less competitive schools, I lived a little more dangerously and wore charcoal pinstripes.

I think that as long as you "feel" and look professional regardless of skit versus pants you should be fine. Here at Mayo many of the female physicians wear pants and they look very professional. I will probably opt for pants for most of my suits....

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
I lived a little more dangerously and wore charcoal pinstripes.

Hey Viennese, today charcoal pinstripes, tommorow you'll be riding a Harley with a pierced tongue:laugh: I kid, I kid.

The clothing is inconsequential.......what matters is how easily you can disrobe during the interview :)

Seriously though, I went die hard conservative. Charcoal grey suit with pinstripes. Most girls I saw had some sort of pant-suit on. I think black and grey looks nicer than navy, but that's just my opinion (some shades of navy come off as cheap).

I think as long as you stay with dark colors you should be fine.. There was only one guy I saw at my interviews I went to that was wearing a light tan suit, and he really stuck out in the crowd that was wearing all black.. but either way... for girls though: stay light on the make up and perfume, and jewelry. As a matter of fact, I would say to avoid the jewelry all together, because you don't want to be flashy, and you don't know how the schools thinks about earrings and necklaces and all that. And yeam avoid carrying in the portfolios, because you really don't need to carry anything to give to your interviewer. you already get a folder at the start of your interview date that gives you plenty of space to write down any information that is needed. just have a pen or pencil with you..maybe in a purse or guys in their suit pockets. but for some reason everyone carries around that portfolio.. maybe to look more professional. who knows.

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
At some of my less competitive schools, I lived a little more dangerously and wore charcoal pinstripes.

:wow: i could see a warm grey as permissible, but charcoal pinstripes??!!. :eek: what some young people won't do to recklessly flaunt their individuality.

am I the only one in favor of a thin black leather portfolio? I took it to all my interviews and, while i did find it more professional looking, I DID use it often. Not all schoos give folders, and even when they do, it is nice to be able to put it in the leather portfolio. one of my interviews and i discussed HIS research and he was very excited to talk to me about it that he offered me some papers he wrote for journals...i put them in my portfolio. walking around with so many papers looks messy. i also kept extra kleenex (i often get allergies)in the portfolio (DO NOT STUFF UR POCKETS...KEEP CLEAN STRAIGHT LINES IN UR SUIT!) I kept my hotel stuff, directions to my interviews, other info that was useful reading betweeninterviews if there were multiple thoise days (e.g. reading up on my interviewer), all sorts of stuff that i felt was useful, including my wallet (AGAIN, CLEAN LINES...IT IS UNACCEPTABLE TO HAVE A BULGE IN UR JACKET OR PANTS DUE TO A BULKY WALLET)

and zambuca, u FRIGHTEN ME!! NEVER TELL MEN TO PUT A PEN IN THEIR SUIT POCKETS!! it can leak, even slightly..i would never take a chance like that unlesss u have a mont blanc pen, waterman, cross, dupont, etc..but even then i would be hesitant.

people, please keep clean professional lines and take proper care of ur interview clothing. invest in the best outfit u can afford quality-wise and u should feel great in it. the better u feel, the more confident u should be in ur interviews..at least that is how i felt..when i put on my interview outfil, i felt professional and like a million bucks..it was well worth the investment to get great stuff...then again, some people feel more comfortable in the non-traditional stuff...if that is u, better to stick with ur own personality and what makes u feel more confidesnt, as long as it is professional-looking and not too dangerous as "charcoal pinstripe!! hahaha j/k. look professional and clean and, PLEASE, stay away from perfume (if u do insist on it, use only sparingly)..nothing like an interview waiting room that is stunk up by some person wearing too much.

Originally posted by Doc Ivy
Hey Viennese, today charcoal pinstripes, tommorow you'll be riding a Harley with a pierced tongue:laugh: I kid, I kid.

It's a slippery slope.

;)

Wait, SUITS?

I was going to come in wearing the jersey of a local team! I mean c'mon, I have got to hit a baseball fan adcom at least once, right?

Seriously, though, thanks for the heads up I didn't even consider anything other than traditional. It's good to know people have tried other kinds.

Good Luck

I wore a black skirt and a purple blouse with a black jacket. For jewelry, I wore only a simple necklace and a watch. There were very few women in my interview groups, but most of us had our hair back.

someone told me to steer as away from cultural clothing as possible. is that true? cuz i know someone who went into an interview wearing a sari and she nailed it. i admit it wasn't a med school interview, and the sari was very dark and plain...it didn't stick out that much, but i was just curious as to what everyone else thought.

I agree with gertie about the portfolio. Bring one!!!
The amount of paper work you get at some schools is ridiculous. At Yale they give you a huge view book, an interview folder, a financial aid novella, directions to your interviewers' offices, interview feedback forms etc etc. By the end of the day, I barely had room in my briefcase for all of the stuff. Not to mention the breath mints, mirror, comb, wallet that you need to bring with you anyway.

Good luck all!

For the girls --

Where would you recommend buying a nice suit? I wouldn't mind spending a hundred or so bucks for one, but I'd like something that looks nice without looking cheap. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by dara678
For the girls --

Where would you recommend buying a nice suit? I wouldn't mind spending a hundred or so bucks for one, but I'd like something that looks nice without looking cheap. Any suggestions?

I found both of mine during summer sales at Belk department stores. TJ Maxx and Marshall's both carry Jones New York, Liz Claiborne, and DKNY, but they usually do not have great suit selections. However, if you have the time to check every couple of weeks or so, you can find great deals. Burlington Coat Factory also carries first-quality name brands at low prices. Casual Corner tends to be expensive but sometimes has good sales. They usually have good prices on shells, too. I broke up the black (and even the pin stripes, when I dared) with a colored blouse or shell.

Originally posted by dara678
For the girls --

Check the sale racks at Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft religiously (weekly or biweekly, on Sunday afternoons or Mondays - they do markdowns on Sundays - I worked at Loft for a while ;) ) You can grab a fabulous $300-$400 suit for $120, sometimes a little less.

I wore a knee-length sheath dress with a matching jacket. Both pieces were black with a delicate white, houndstooth check, so the outfit looked charcoal-gray at a distance. I tried on lotsa' suits (both skirt and pant) and just chose what I thought was the most flattering and most comfortable.

In addition to Ann Taylor and AT Loft, Talbots, Nordstrom, Belk, Banana Republic (online), JCrew (online) and Off 5th Saks Fifth Avenue outlets have some decent prices/sales on misses and petite size suits.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
okay for guys to wear small hoop earrings, or better to take them out?

I have a stud through my upper ear. No one seemed to care.

Good call on Ann Taylor, DrDee--can't believe I forgot about that one. They have great sales.

A little late, but I'll post my $0.02 too.

I bought my interview suit this weekend at The Limited. It is a charcoal gray skirt suit and I also bought a hook & eye shirt with very muted red and black/gray vertical stripes to go underneath of it. I bought all this for about $220.

What kind of shoes look right with a short (knee length) skirt. I know black, closed toed. But would strappy work? No strap? Mary Janes? pumps?

I bought a black pantsuit (Jones New York) from Macy's. Originally $300, but after coupons and sales, i got it for $140! I wore a white button down shirt inside and had a black porfolio with me. and i wore black pumps with only a little heel.

definately shop around...I saw essentially the same suit I bought from macy's at bloomingdales, and it was a lot pricier. I bought mine early june and there wasn't that much of a selection at stores like ann taylor, etc, but there were some good sales elsewhere. brooks brothers had some nice stuff (good quality) for $200-$300.

hmm...sparkles, i feel you on the shoe question...i happen to love heels and have a great pair of high black ones from my i-banking days...they're pretty high (3-4 in?), two straps and very pointy but i was planning on wearing these for an interview since all my extra $ right now is going toward med school secondary apps :rolleyes: . they actually are pretty comfortable (or so i tell myself.) so is this ok for med school interviews or do i have to go shorter?

I bought 2-3 inch high heels for my interviews because I liked how they looked (professional), square toe, no strap. I had both pants and a skirt for my black suit and I thought they worked well with both. Keep in mind that if you have a pantsuit the legs will probably be long enough that they will cover up most of your shoes anyway.

However, after going through interviews last year, I DON'T think I would have bought the same shoes. Comfort is KEY, especially if you end up taking tours all over campus, and ESPECIALLY if you have to walk through snowdrifts to do so. On any give interview day I probably spent eight hours wearing my shoes, and I hated them by the end. :laugh:

But if yours are comfortable, I don't think the height matters.

As for the suit, I had a black wool crepe suit with either the pants or the skirt, and a bright blue silk blouse underneath. I wore the skirt to most of my interviews cause I liked better (though I would say that most of the female applicants wore pants) and I saved the pants for interviews at really cold places.

Comfort is key? Crud!:rolleyes:
I thought looking good was key!!:D

Originally posted by roxtu
However, after going through interviews last year, I DON'T think I would have bought the same shoes. Comfort is KEY, especially if you end up taking tours all over campus, and ESPECIALLY if you have to walk through snowdrifts to do so. On any give interview day I probably spent eight hours wearing my shoes, and I hated them by the end. :laugh:

But if yours are comfortable, I don't think the height matters.

I will second this! One of the best pieces of advice I had last year when buying my suit was to get comfortable shoes. I ended up buying a pair of flats from Nine West. They looked nice and felt like I was wearing slippers (and I have been able to wear them to many other events in addition to the interviews!). I wore a navy blue wool crepe pant suit with a light blue blouse to my interviews and wore my hair tied back. It worked for me.

Most of the girls were in black/navy suits although I did see one hunter green pant suit and one plum colored skirt suit. At some places almost all the girls were in pants, at others I was the only one. I don't think it matters whether you are in pants or a skirt as long as you look professional and "put together".

As far as where to get suits, J.Crew can be pretty expensive for a full price suit but they often have them on sale. Occasionally they have a business attire promotion where the suits are 20% or more off.

Originally posted by pratik7
do you think that a dark hunter green is a bad idea ??

If this isn't sarcastic, it's in the running for Post of the Year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For the noobies, here's the link to one of SDN's best inside jokes. :D :D :D

Originally posted by spumoni620
hmm...sparkles, i feel you on the shoe question...i happen to love heels and have a great pair of high black ones from my i-banking days...they're pretty high (3-4 in?), two straps and very pointy but i was planning on wearing these for an interview since all my extra $ right now is going toward med school secondary apps :rolleyes: . they actually are pretty comfortable (or so i tell myself.) so is this ok for med school interviews or do i have to go shorter?

If they really are comfortable (I am skeptical, but then again, I have wonderful boots with 2.5" heels that everyone says must be very uncomfortable but really feel almost like flats), I would say it depends on how tall you are. Some men are intimidated by taller women, so if you're over 5'6", I would be careful of wearing heels over 2". I would be concerned about the pointy toe, as I wore a square-toed low pump and my toes were still killing me at the end of the day.

I'll probably end up going out and getting your standard "pump" although I have this REEEEEEALLY comfy pair of shoes, but they are Mary Janes. My mom absolutely adores them but I don't want to look too "cute." what do you think?