What DIY post-bacc courses to take and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blvckbvnny

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a SoCal resident who recently graduated from UC Irvine. I'm applying in June 2019, decided to take an extra gap year because I needed to strengthen myself as an applicant, and currently I am working on my DIY post-bacc plan (graduated with a ~mid 3.4 cGPA/sGPA). I have been looking at UCLA extension courses, here are some of the options I am considering. I'm looking to take around 8-12 units/2-3 courses this quarter to start off.

Introduction to Pathophysiology
Genetics
Atomic and Molecular Structure (equivalent to Gen Chem 1 course)
Thermodynamics, Kinetics, and Organic Chemistry (equivalent to Gen Chem 2 /Organic Chem 1 course)
Immunology
Developmental Biology

I've heard its good to look for courses that mimic a med school curriculum, so pathophysiology definitely seems to be right on point. Every other course offered is pre-reqs or upper division science courses I have already taken at UCI. Is it looked down upon if I take upper division courses such as Immunology and Developmental Biology as part of my DIY post-bacc, even if I already took them my 3rd and 4th years of undergrad and got A's? Or should I aim for pre-req courses that I did not do well in during freshman/sophomore years (got a C+ in genetics, B/B- 's in gen chem and organic chem)? Another option would be to simultaneously take other courses at a lower tier university such as Cal State Fullerton. Would taking UCLA courses vs. CSUF courses make a big difference? I was concerned about how taking CSUF science courses would look after graduating from UCI because I would guess that taking more rigorous courses at a prestigious university would carry more weight. Correct me if I am wrong. Any advice?
With your current stats, you're not going to be a candidate for highly-selective med schools that are going to be picky about your courseload and the source of classes to redeem your application GPA. Same is true for someone who graduated and has to fit classes in where they can around a work schedule. Or for someone with limited economic resources. So a mix of UCLA Extension, CSFU, and even a CC would be fine, or an online class or two.

Intro to Pathophysiology is fine, if you already took Physiology. I would not suggest retaking any class where you earned B-range grades. You don't "need" to retake Genetics, but if you do, it's understandable (but it won't help you if you get if you don't get an A on the second pass through the material). Definitely don't retake anything where you earned an A.

What additional classes are available to you at CSUF that you might reasonably consider? Recall that math classes will help your BCPM GPA, too, for AMCAS schools, but they won't help an sGPA for DO med schools.

With your current stats, you're not going to be a candidate for highly-selective med schools that are going to be picky about your courseload and the source of classes to redeem your application GPA. Same is true for someone who graduated and has to fit classes in where they can around a work schedule. Or for someone with limited economic resources. So a mix of UCLA Extension, CSFU, and even a CC would be fine, or an online class or two.

Intro to Pathophysiology is fine, if you already took Physiology. I would not suggest retaking any class where you earned B-range grades. You don't "need" to retake Genetics, but if you do, it's understandable (but it won't help you if you get if you don't get an A on the second pass through the ). Definitely don't retake anything where you earned an A.

What additional classes are available to you at CSUF that you might reasonably consider? Recall that math classes will help your BCPM GPA, too, for AMCAS schools, but they won't help an sGPA for DO med schools.

Can I ask what schools you mean when you say “highly selective med schools”? Do schools really just filter out applications based on a gpa cutoff?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Can I ask what schools you mean when you say “highly selective med schools”?
2) Do schools really just filter out applications based on a gpa cutoff?
1) US News and Snooze Report "Top" schools, like Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. The MSAR shows the statistics for each school's acceptees, as to their 10-90% spread for GPA and MCAT.

2) Yes. Cutoffs are often cited on a school's website.

1) US News and Snooze Report "Top" schools, like Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. The MSAR shows the statistics for each school's acceptees, as to their 10-90% spread for GPA and MCAT.

2) Yes. Cutoffs are often cited on a school's website.

Okay, so I’ll probably pick up pathophysiology and genetics. I don’t plan on getting anything less than an A in these courses so hopefully they will help. But without adding the gen chem course (only leftover course that doesn’t conflict with the previous two classes’ times) I would only be in 8 units. I really want to make sure I have the best shot I possibly can with MD schools. I have a solid upward trend in my undergrad gpa (ended with 3.99 gpa my senior year), and I’m nearing the 3.5 mark for my overall. If I take a considerable load of courses at UCLA and get a 4.0, will this weigh in to give me decent overall chances at good MD schools? (Also assuming I kill the MCAT with a 90th percentile score or above—I’ve been preparing for months). I know Stanford, UCSF, Harvard, etc are unrealistic. But what about for somewhere like UC Davis?

I have a solid upward trend in my undergrad gpa (ended with 3.99 gpa my senior year), and I’m nearing the 3.5 mark for my overall. If I take a considerable load of courses at UCLA and get a 4.0, will this weigh in to give me decent overall chances at good MD schools? (Also assuming I kill the MCAT with a 90th percentile score or above—I’ve been preparing for months). I know Stanford, UCSF, Harvard, etc are unrealistic. But what about for somewhere like UC Davis?

It depends on what else you have to bring to the table:
Davis is the CA school with a strong commitment to California's most vulnerable patients: rural, poor, Spanish-speaking, immigrants... They are willing to take risks to achieve their goals.
Davis in particular, has an emphasis on California's rural poor. It is the closest UC medical school to the San Joaquin Valley, the area in which large swaths of geography are as poorly served as a developing country.
Like other mission-based schools stats are secondary to a validated commitment to this community. Only UCR has a stronger mandate to a geographical area of need.
Davis is the CA school with a strong commitment to California's most vulnerable patients: rural, poor, Spanish-speaking, immigrants... They are willing to take risks to achieve their goals.
I had a 3.4 and interviewed at UCLA and UCD. Didn't bother applying to UCR or UCI because they didn't align with who I am. I think a lot falls on who reviews your application, how you have spent your time leading up to medical school, and what level of maturity you display. My interviews at both UCs were predominantly older students with more life experience.
Even well-qualified CA applicants have a hard time getting into a CA school.

Reactions: 1 user