What do Army PA make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xathanx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^^

Members don't see this ad.

xathanx said:

well...it depends on rank, years in service...I'm not sure if PAs are eligible for the same special pay that MC officers get...therefore, a physician witht the same rank and years in service would probably make more than a PA

PA's make the same as any other officer. As far as I know there is no specialty pay for being a PA.

Just so you know...the military has no need for civilian PA's. Military PA's are "homegrown" and therefore someone who's currently a civilian isn't going to become a military PA. In the last few years there haven't been any civilians accepted by the Navy and only 3 by the Army. This requirement has dropped to zero because the military has their pick of PA students. It's actually more competitive to get into PA school in the military than medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Croooz said:
It's actually more competitive to get into PA school in the military than medical school.

Aside from technically lower pre-reqs, this is absolutely true!

I did apply for the army PA program my last year of active duty. I was already planning to get out, go to college & then med school, but somewhat ambivalent about spending soooooo much time in school, when PA looked like a good deal with only 2 years of training required.

The program pre-reqs were 60 hours of college credits already (not necessarily a AA degree). The ONLY people accepted to the program that year I applied (and several other years I asked about) already had full bachelor's degrees.

(On balance, though, I'm glad I went the route I did. I had a great time in undergrad, majored in History, got to study cool stuff I had long wanted to, and I am thrilled about all of my options for specialty training after med school. This was definitely the right option for me, so I'm glad I didn't get PA school and "settle" for a quick 2-years)

RichL025 said:
Aside from technically lower pre-reqs, this is absolutely true!

I did apply for the army PA program my last year of active duty. I was already planning to get out, go to college & then med school, but somewhat ambivalent about spending soooooo much time in school, when PA looked like a good deal with only 2 years of training required.

The program pre-reqs were 60 hours of college credits already (not necessarily a AA degree). The ONLY people accepted to the program that year I applied (and several other years I asked about) already had full bachelor's degrees.

(On balance, though, I'm glad I went the route I did. I had a great time in undergrad, majored in History, got to study cool stuff I had long wanted to, and I am thrilled about all of my options for specialty training after med school. This was definitely the right option for me, so I'm glad I didn't get PA school and "settle" for a quick 2-years)
Good to hear. That's basically the decision I had to make a couple years ago on which route to take. I decided medical school and can't wait to start. A few friends I've met since making my decision are in PA school now. One can't wait to be a stay at home mom and the other plans to get a PhD in public health so she'll have a terminal degree.

You gotta go with the long term decision which is what the people with military experience here are always stressing about HPSP. :rolleyes: