What do dental school students do during summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makushin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I think at a lot of places, you might have a break after your first year, but then the rest of the time you're in school year-round.

tludy said:
I work up here in Alaska and it is very seasonal work. I was wondering what dental students do in the summer. Is it like undergrad where you're basically free during the summer? Are you supposed to pursue dental related experience? Or could I realistically keep coming back to Alaska in the summer? It would make a big difference financially. Thanks!

Hey I was just wondering. How is it like living in Alaska and is the living cost high there? For example how much is rent? How much can an associate earn in Alaska? I'm from California and might work in Alaska for two years after dental school. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
mellowt said:
Hey I was just wondering. How is it like living in Alaska and is the living cost high there? For example how much is rent? How much can an associate earn in Alaska? I'm from California and might work in Alaska for two years after dental school. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Spikey already answered your question. It depends on the school, but usually your first summer is free and the rest of your summers, you'll be in summer school.

Our break is about 3 weeks long in the summer. Not usually enough time to get a job unless you can somehow secure it ahead of time. Most of us spend that time resting and seeing friends/family we didn't have a chance to see most of the year. The main clinic at school is closed during break, but emergency and oral surgery are open. Some students get assigned to work there through summer or you can volunteer to get the requirement out of the way. Most of us also reviewed patient charts and scheduled appointments because there are limited number of chairs in clinic, otherwise you'd be twiddling your thumbs the first couple weeks back.

we have school here every summer at UNLV
try Case western, Crieghton, UW I think, Oklahoma