what do i do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vze57gc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just finished freshman yr at baruch college city university of ny majoring in finance and minoring in bio. i thought i had a firm background in the sciences, having taken all the ap classes that i could and doing well without working too hard. first impression is college isn't as easy as i thought, its like i have to teach myself. now i have a 3.0. now im looking into other career paths. i want to get into a field where jobs are plenty and the pay is decent. i was thinking of applying to pharmacy school, and dental school as plan b and c. you all might be wondering y im a finance major, initially i thought that some1 who is financially inclined has a better chance at financial success but i never actually planned on getting a job in that field unless i have to resort to plan d which is an accountant or something. instead of finance i was thinking of switching to computer engineering or computer science but i havent been sold yet. obviously im very confused an am looking for advise on what to do b/c now idk.

Members don't see this ad.

This "What are my chances?" forum is for allopathic medicine candidates, so I will limit my comments to plan A. You have a 3.0 after one year. If you can figure things out over the summer and start getting As from now on, in another year you'd have a GPA of 3.5. You would be competitive for med school if you continue to get great grades from there. If you really want to be a doctor, even without a sterling GPA, you could could have a chance of admission at osteopathic med schools, which are more forgiving of academic problems.

You need to figure out which path would make you happiest. Why not shadow a dentist, pharmacist, and doctor over the summer for a half day each or more, and get an idea of what clicks with your personality best.

My point is that none of those pathways are closed to you yet. But to make plan A work, you need to adjust your learning style ASAP.

Engineering is usually a difficult major and it would be much more challenging to maintain a high GPA. Pick a major you love as you're more likely to do well. GPA is one of the two strongest determinents (with MCAT score) as to whether your med school application will be considered.