What do I need on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChronicShine

Reaction score
cGPA: 3.3 sGPA:3.5
Medical (Red Cross) Volunteer: 200+hrs
Volunteer (non-medical): 100+hrs
Volunteer (college clubs): 100 hrs
Work (phlebotomy, ER, and nursing home): ~1000
Work (Tutoring earth science, chemistry, and microbiology): 1 year
I have worked all through college and I am currently working full time in the ER while taking full-time classes.
Shadowing: 150hrs
Research: 100+hrs. I have two publications and I have been a part of 5 other research experiments (not published).
I have been on my county's Red Cross Advisory Board for two years. I am a McNair scholar,

I know my gpa is my weakest area. I started college when I was 16 and I didn't realize how important maintaining a good GPA was. I did not fail any courses, but I did receive C's. I have had an upward trend in my GPA and the last four semesters, I have only received one C, in organic chem II. The rest have been A's and B's. I plan to retake organic chemistry II for an A. I have not taken the MCAT yet, I plan to take it in January and apply to medical school in June/July of 2019. I do not mind applying to DO school; however, I would prefer MD. Either route will allow me to become a doctor.
What do I need to score on my MCAT to be accepted into a DO school. What do I need to score on my MCAT to be accepted into a MD school. What medical schools would be good to apply to assuming I do well enough on the MCAT to be accepted into MD or DO. I live in Missouri, I am not sure if it is considered a lucky state or not.

Members don't see this ad.

505 for DO. For mD, you're going to need to do a lot better int he GPA dep't. Your rising GPA trend is marred by the C. It's not worth retaking a C, and your grades will be averaged anyway. Better to take another upper level Bio course and ace it. If you're boning for the MD, you may very well need a post-bac or SMP and a 513+ MCAT(510+ for your state MD school)

It depends on how good your GPA was and how many Bs you got. Even with your C and an average upward trend, you may get some slack from full-time work while attending school full time! A 515 or better and 3.4 with an upward trend might give you a fighting chance at your state schools. Good luck.