I need advice on what I should do regarding this application cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaskarnsahni

Reaction score
My goal is to get accepted into a medical school in California, my home state.

Here’s a little information about me;

UC Davis undergrad, 3.90-3.95 GPA, 511 MCAT

Good clinical experiences, no research experience

My MCAT score ended up being a lot lower than I had hoped for. I think it took me out of consideration for a lot of schools, both in-state and out-of-state.

I am really considering retaking the MCAT. The earliest I would be ready to retake it is August. I would be working on secondaries and studying for the MCAT at the same time. I still think August would be too late because by the time I would be able to send in my retake score it would be interview season. Taking it in July is possible but would require a lot of work.

Is a retake for this application cycle out of school the picture? What do you guys think my current chances at acceptance are? Should I still apply this application cycle?

I appreciate any input and advice. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please follow this template:

Your goal should be to get in a medical school, not just a CA one. Most applicants who get accepted end up out of the state

Reactions: 2 users
And understand that although you can indicate an upcoming retake date, schools are under no obligation to wait to review your application for the new score. Besides your score is fine. If you don’t have interviews/acceptances by next January you can consider a retake. If you want real advice click on @chilly_md ‘s link. Your MCAT won’t keep you out of medical school with a good list. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user