What do I need to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I aspire to be a dentist one day. It is my dream. It doesn't help that I just got rejected from my top school, but I think it's just going to make me stronger. When I entered my freshman year in high school, I wish people had told me some things like how I need a near perfect GPA to get into a top college or that it's good to be in some leadership positions and whatnot.

I cannot accept failure again, so what are some things I should keep in mind now that I'm going to be in college this coming August? I'm majoring in Biochemistry. I hear for stuff like pre-dental and pre-med it's good to do something you love though and be different. Well I am a pretty sick guitarist, would it be good to minor in music too haha? Just if any of you have any tips for a fresh college student or anything you wish you knew upon entering college, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I aspire to be a dentist one day. It is my dream. It doesn't help that I just got rejected from my top school, but I think it's just going to make me stronger. When I entered my freshman year in high school, I wish people had told me some things like how I need a near perfect GPA to get into a top college or that it's good to be in some leadership positions and whatnot.

I cannot accept failure again, so what are some things I should keep in mind now that I'm going to be in college this coming August? I'm majoring in Biochemistry. I hear for stuff like pre-dental and pre-med it's good to do something you love though and be different. Well I am a pretty sick guitarist, would it be good to minor in music too haha? Just if any of you have any tips for a fresh college student or anything you wish you knew upon entering college, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for your time.

As long as your at a 4-year college and not a community college, you are fine.

What I would recommend -- and I think you already have it down-- is to make sure to get good grades. Believe it or not, when I was a freshman, all I thought that you needed to do to get into dental school was to TAKE the prerequisite classes. I was unaware that getting a C was a bad thing lol. So my freshman year didn't look to hot but after that year, I found out how dental school really worked and spent the next 3 years busting out 3.5-4.0 semesters to make up for it.

It's also important to get involved. Try getting involved early too. Research labs are a great place to be and really help you shine when it comes time for applications.

Again though, I want to stress your classes. College is meant to be a good time but don't forget what you're here to do. This is your job for the next four years and the only purpose it is to serve is to gain you an acceptance into dental school so treat it like that. Strive to get every A you can and treat your B's like they're F's and go in with the mindset you only have a handful of B's to give out during your college career.

I know 4 years seems like a long time but it will be over before you know it. If you stick with a solid plan, you will be in dental school in a few short years.

Good luck.

I would def major In guitar if thats an option you feel you can handle only with your Biochem major. I was a Piano minor.

Your 1st year is really important, make sure you don't try and overload yourself...setting that baseline GPA (at least 3.5 IMO) 'cause that will carry you for the remainder of your 4 years.

FYI...there is nothing wrong with community college, just don't take all your prereqs there, my dentist did his first 2 years at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be aware that there are schools that will not accept any pre-reqs taken at a community college. Many schools have limitations on community college work (NYU, BU, Temple, UOP) while some schools won't accept any classes taken at a CC (Tufts).

I'm not going to community college btw, going to Virginia Tech. Yeah the school where that massacre was at woohoo! Major in guitar? Mm that's a possibility.

School name and major doesn't play too big a role in admissions, but grades do. If you had gone on to University of Virginia (your dream school?) you probably would have had a hard time maintaining a high GPA. I'm not doubting your abilities, it's just ridiculously competitive at those top tier schools!! Just major in whatever you like, smoke those science pre-reqs and you should be in good shape, especially for VCU Dental :thumbup:

Haha you guessed it. Yeah I just got rejected from UVA this past week with a 2260 SAT, instate. Ouch. I'm just trying to stay positive though because as long as I am a DDS when this is all over, everything will be okay! Ooo and you are in Tufts Dental! Nice!

It just seems the general consensus is grades grades grades! Should I be doing anything over the summer or can I just relax? I shouldn't be studying for the DAT when I'm a freshman should I? Haha.

If I were you I WOULD definitely take it easy your first year. You will LIKELY be influenced heavily with all of the parties and new social opportunities. Almost everyone I know had their worst grades in their freshman year. I have a really good GPA and I think it is mostly because I took a year to grow. Just do well and don't worry about that school you could have gone to. I didn't get into any of my top choices out of high school. But I got into my first choice dental school! You will do great things if you put in the work.:luck:

Haha you guessed it. Yeah I just got rejected from UVA this past week with a 2260 SAT, instate. Ouch. I'm just trying to stay positive though because as long as I am a DDS when this is all over, everything will be okay! Ooo and you are in Tufts Dental! Nice!

It just seems the general consensus is grades grades grades! Should I be doing anything over the summer or can I just relax? I shouldn't be studying for the DAT when I'm a freshman should I? Haha.

Over the summer before Freshman year? You could skim over the reading and math sections of the DAT. But if I were you, I would relax. Maybe find out a way to do community service involving dentistry...maybe a free-health clinic in your area might need volunteers, etc. Do some shadowing eventually.

If you have any Qs, you can PM me. :)

Start doing some research this summer, if it interests you. For me, research was my main selling point and schools, especially the top ones - Harvard, UCLA, Michigan, Penn - love research. However, it's not necessary, so don't feel obligated.

Did you go to TJ, by any chance?

No I did not go to TJ. Do you guys think I should try to switch my major from Biochemistry to Biology? Everyone keeps telling me Biochemistry is really hard, and that I could probably get a better GPA if I majored in Biology. I'm aware Biochemistry is more impressive, but I would think a 3.8 or something as a Biology major would look better than a 3.5 as a Biochemistry major. Can anyone offer some insight on this matter? Both very common majors, so can any Biochemistry majors tell me about their experiences? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm aware Biochemistry is more impressive, but I would think a 3.8 or something as a Biology major would look better than a 3.5 as a Biochemistry major. Can anyone offer some insight on this matter? Thanks!

The schools don't care about major too much, as long as you do well in the pre-reqs and the DAT. Just in case you are thinking it, taking on a "harder" major won't prepare you better for the DAT. I would just go with Biology if I was you.