what do medical students do the summer before matriculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mizoodles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to do something that is at least somewhat productive this coming summer before med school in the fall. Plus, I need money. Most jobs don't want somebody who will be working for only 2 months, though. What do kids do?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of tourist-driven places that take seasonal workers.. restos, bars, gift shops, etc...

I'd say just REST. you won't get to do that for a while...

I'm going the other way and blowing a ton of money by going to Europe for a couple months :)

Members don't see this ad :)
they pre-study for Step 1. It's AWESOME.

If I would have had the money, I would have traveled.

Otherwise, it's just spend time with people you may not see as often anymore.

take a long long long nap to make up for all the all-nighters in undergrad

I don't think I did a single all-nighter in undergrad :laugh:

This summer I'll prob quit the job and just relax or maybe dish out some cash and visit the family. I've heard over and over that if there's some traveling you want to do, make sure you do it before matriculation because it's definitely hard to fit it in once you've got the ball rolling.

Everything that's NOT associated with school

I know you won't heed the advice by those who tell you what I'm about to say, but...

Do nothing. Do as much nothing as you can get away with. Sure you want to feel productive now, but worry not, because come the beginning of the school year you will be waste deep in **** you didn't know existed.

If you have to make money, find a part time job on a beach or something.

I really wanted to take a 2-3 week trip to japan, but Ive been paying off my credit cards instead, so I am not neck deep in cc debt when I enter med school.

I'll probably just hang out with the hubby in orlando and drink a lot of butterbeer :p

Europe all the way baby!:thumbup:
File:Blank_map_of_Europe_%28polar_stereographic_projection%29_cropped.svg

I plan on running a marathon before I start in Aug 201:)

for short term employment you could be an RA or TA at a summer camp such as Duke's TIP or JHU's CTY.
RAs at JHU used to make 1000 dollars per three week session (includes room and board).. 2 sessions would be 2000 dollars net and youd have a lot of fun with all the MS/HS kids.

dont do anything stressful.. somethng you like more or less and maybe if it pays, thats an added bonus (not for all people)..

you and your gf/bf need to exercise your libido as much as possible, 'cause lord knows s/he may be deprived as soon as you're getting destroyed by first year classes :thumbup:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge not to tell places of employment that you only want a job for two months when you're interviewing...

I thought it was pretty common knowledge not to tell places of employment that you only want a job for two months when you're interviewing...

For a job that short, it may be pretty poor taste not to tell them, though yeah, you wouldn't be doing yourself a favor.