What do people think about UCI's MPH program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimavocado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about UCI's (University of California, Irvine) MPH program. If so, how is the program there? How about their alumni network for public health? Are they well respected in the field of public health? The reason why I am asking is because there is not a lot of talk about UCI here. I would love to know more about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I finished my BS in Public Health from UCI, and many of the professors/admin are the same. The masters candidates I met liked the program and the professors. We all agreed that admin really seemed to care about the students.
But as far as connections/network opportunities and quality of program go, UCI is still very new. There are ample opportunities for research, but not much else. Irvine is quite far from LA, so if you're looking for experience in an urban setting I suggest you skip UCI. That's why I chose not to apply, even though I went there as an undergrad.

I'm at UCI now. Somewhat similar response to the above post I suppose. I chose not to apply to UCI. The faculty are amazing, the program size is small enough to gain ample research experience, but for me it wasn't the right fit. For me it was not the lack of connections, merely the concentration of the program. My experience with the current MPH students was not the same as the above poster. They all had excellent opportunities to network and work globally. Again, for me I wasn't interested in the concentration.

My only disappointment will be having to move. It's a beautiful area and I hate the thought of moving to LA or similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate and I applied and we got worried about not receiving our decisions. We both called--my application is still under review... she was told that her application was incomplete...but then a few hours later she was sent an acceptance letter with a 2/19 date??

We applied to different departments so I hope to hear from them soon. Strangely enough despite not being accepted the financial aid dept contacted me with my financial aid info.... maybe that is a good sign?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the insight. I graduated from UCI as well with a BS in public health. I know the school is fairly new, but I would love to be part of their program because, like zot79 says, they have great connections throughout Orange County. Even though the program is quite small and it is new, I definitely want to give the school a chance as I see it becoming the new big public health school.

My roommate and I applied and we got worried about not receiving our decisions. We both called--my application is still under review... she was told that her application was incomplete...but then a few hours later she was sent an acceptance letter with a 2/19 date??

We applied to different departments so I hope to hear from them soon. Strangely enough despite not being accepted the financial aid dept contacted me with my financial aid info.... maybe that is a good sign?

I guess that is a sign? I'd say wait a little bit more. I've been reading from MPH 2015 student admissions thread that they have been slowly releasing e-mail on admission decisions.

I finished my BS in Public Health from UCI, and many of the professors/admin are the same. The masters candidates I met liked the program and the professors. We all agreed that admin really seemed to care about the students.
But as far as connections/network opportunities and quality of program go, UCI is still very new. There are ample opportunities for research, but not much else. Irvine is quite far from LA, so if you're looking for experience in an urban setting I suggest you skip UCI. That's why I chose not to apply, even though I went there as an undergrad.

Nice to know that there is a fellow anteater on this forum! Thanks for your insight!

What schools are you applying to/attending currently, if not UCI?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at UCI now. Somewhat similar response to the above post I suppose. I chose not to apply to UCI. The faculty are amazing, the program size is small enough to gain ample research experience, but for me it wasn't the right fit. For me it was not the lack of connections, merely the concentration of the program. My experience with the current MPH students was not the same as the above poster. They all had excellent opportunities to network and work globally. Again, for me I wasn't interested in the concentration.

My only disappointment will be having to move. It's a beautiful area and I hate the thought of moving to LA or similar.

It's nice to hear that there is a fellow anteater on the forums. Zot Zot! What are you studying at UCI?

Thanks for the insight! Which concentration was not the right fit for you?

Reactions: 1 user
It's nice to hear that there is a fellow anteater on the forums. Zot Zot! What are you studying at UCI?

Thanks for the insight! Which concentration was not the right fit for you?

Hey!

I've studied Psychology & Social Behavior as well as Public Health.

I considered the Sociocultural concentration for the MPH, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a strong emphasis in behavioral health and education. I think this program brings in behavior as a competent, but it's focus are the determinants of health inequity. I think its a strong program, just not for me. I agree with you, I think this program will excel in the years to come and is nothing to sneeze at.

Personally, I will likely attend Claremont - I applied and was accepted to the Dual degree program. The MPH concentrates on health promotion, education and evaluation and the MA in applied psychology focuses on Health Behavior research

Nice to know that there is a fellow anteater on this forum! Thanks for your insight!

What schools are you applying to/attending currently, if not UCI?
Check my signature for an overall summary :)
I'm deciding between Pitt and BU right now, but I'm leaning towards Boston because they gave me a great merit award/aid package. I want to focus on ethics and law, and apply to medical law programs after my MPH.

Hey!

I've studied Psychology & Social Behavior as well as Public Health.

I considered the Sociocultural concentration for the MPH, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a strong emphasis in behavioral health and education. I think this program brings in behavior as a competent, but it's focus are the determinants of health inequity. I think its a strong program, just not for me. I agree with you, I think this program will excel in the years to come and is nothing to sneeze at.

Personally, I will likely attend Claremont - I applied and was accepted to the Dual degree program. The MPH concentrates on health promotion, education and evaluation and the MA in applied psychology focuses on Health Behavior research

When did you find out about Claremont? I also applied to their dual degree program and I'm still waiting on a decision.

When did you find out about Claremont? I also applied to their dual degree program and I'm still waiting on a decision.

I emailed Paige (mph admissions) about a week and a half ago inquiring about decisions. She replied that day informing me that the psych program had more applicants than usual and that she was hoping to hear back the following week. Last Thursday she called and left a message stating that psych program would be taking longer than usual but that she could provide me with my decision regarding the MPH program. She said that the psych department just barely started reviewing applications and she hoped they would review dual applicants first, but there was no gauruntee. If you haven't heard anything, and you are ok with recieivng half of the decision, I would contact them. She said she had been sitting on the MPH decision for three weeks.

I emailed Paige (mph admissions) about a week and a half ago inquiring about decisions. She replied that day informing me that the psych program had more applicants than usual and that she was hoping to hear back the following week. Last Thursday she called and left a message stating that psych program would be taking longer than usual but that she could provide me with my decision regarding the MPH program. She said that the psych department just barely started reviewing applications and she hoped they would review dual applicants first, but there was no gauruntee. If you haven't heard anything, and you are ok with recieivng half of the decision, I would contact them. She said she had been sitting on the MPH decision for three weeks.

Ah, from your post I thought you had received both decisions. We're in the same boat then! I was accepted to the MPH last week and just waiting on the psych department now, as well. Thanks! Hoping we hear back soon.

Ah, from your post I thought you had received both decisions. We're in the same boat then! I was accepted to the MPH last week and just waiting on the psych department now, as well. Thanks! Hoping we hear back soon.

I finally heard from Claremont. I still have to wait to hear about funding though

I finally heard from Claremont. I still have to wait to hear about funding though

Me too! Super excited about the decision and crossing my fingers I'll get some funding.

Does anyone know about UCI's funding? I received a small stipend for next summer, if I decide to go, but I'm curious if they offer anything more than that.

Me too! Super excited about the decision and crossing my fingers I'll get some funding.

Does anyone know about UCI's funding? I received a small stipend for next summer, if I decide to go, but I'm curious if they offer anything more than that.
id love to know more about this too! i wonder if there's good funding since it's such a small program?