What DO schools have SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing SMP. I talked to AT Still and they have a 2-year program for about $8,000 per year. What other schools have programs and what are their costs? Any recommendations for increased chances for getting into medical school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely would do a 1 year one over 2 year one. Doing well in a SmP increases the ceiling of your application remarkably and also increases the floor if you don’t do well. Most DO schools have a SMP since it’s easy cash for people like you and me who have subpar stats and need a redemption process when they get serious about pursing medicine

CCOM LECOM and a good amount of others do. Look for one year programs those are better and cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
ALSO most DO smp's take their own students into the following medical school class which is not as common as MD programs

CCOM LECOM and a good amount of others do. Look for one year programs those are better and cheaper
I’ve also seen a lot of students successfully matriculate with PCOM, Rocky Vista, and UIW’s post-baccs.

Why is 1 year better? Just curious. I'm doing my 2 year MSBS at DMU and am halfway through. The first year is enough credits to apply in between and they do a good job at graduating their students before matriculation. Great research experience as well as 1 on 1 faculty coaching basically.

Just quicker plus it’s the best test not only for adcoms but yourself to see if your capable of handling a med school curriculum before you are halfway through med school and realizing it’s not for you and you are up to your nose in debt

Reactions: 1 user
Especially in this society learning that failure is an intrinsic factor rather than extrinsic factor is a crucial skill in succeeding in life

Just quicker plus it’s the best test not only for adcoms but yourself to see if your capable of handling a med school curriculum before you are halfway through med school and realizing it’s not for you and you are up to your nose in debt
Its not quicker though. Because if you do a 1 year, to have the grades on your application you have to finish it, leaving another year to wait while you apply. Might as well do bench research in the 2nd year and get a Master's that actually gives you employment potential.

Always go for the 1 year smp or terminal masters program. A 2 year masters is unnecessary.

most smps usually look at your grades after the fall semester and give an interview/acceptance and if you still do poorly then you can compensate in the spring semester and might have to wait another year

I agree with the research potential but unfortunately research isn't for everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Always go for the 1 year smp or terminal masters program. A 2 year masters is unnecessary.
I disagree. The 2 year's benefit is the research/doing a thesis (great for residency in the future) but really... it gives you marketability and makes you employable. A biology bachelor's degree doesn't get you a job, but the biomedical science/research industry is pretty healthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. The 2 year's benefit is the research/doing a thesis (great for residency in the future) but really... it gives you marketability and makes you employable. A biology bachelor's degree doesn't get you a job, but the biomedical science/research industry is pretty healthy.
Agree to disagree. In my opinion 2 year masters is not necessary if the intended goal is to become a physician nor is it required for MSTP. Like was stated above research is not for everyone. Research/publications prior to medical school might have some impact on future applications for residencies. "Great" is a strong word unless you published a ton of research in a field that still in its infancy before medical school. Research/publications while in medical school in the respective field that you plan to specialize in will bolster your application/CV for residency.

Touro Nevada has guaranteed interview/acceptance as long as you are going to have MCAT >500 and SMP GPA >3.5+.

OP
You know yourself the best. If it's a 1 or 2 year program, it doesn't matter so long as it helps you reach your destination/goal (could be medical school or something else because people change).

Sounds like you are in a great program AND doing well in it. I also dont want to bash the idea of 2 v 1 year programs, but not many of us are going to factor in employability of that masters. We dont want to be biomed we want to be doctors.
GL with your cycle im sure DMUCOM will love to have you and its an amazing school.

Sounds like you are in a great program AND doing well in it. I also dont want to bash the idea of 2 v 1 year programs, but not many of us are going to factor in employability of that masters. We dont want to be biomed we want to be doctors.
GL with your cycle im sure DMUCOM will love to have you and its an amazing school.
Thanks! I want to be a doctor as well more than anything, but since I have a family I can't really afford to apply more than 2 cycles. I'd have to go into the work force, and maybe once my kids get older try again, but I do have to have all of my bases covered in case I don't get it. But, I feel good despite my low GPA. If you put your thumb over that on my app, I'd be a perfect DO candidate on paper. We'll see. I'll keep you updated :)

I'm considering doing SMP. I talked to AT Still and they have a 2-year program for about $8,000 per year. What other schools have programs and what are their costs? Any recommendations for increased chances for getting into medical school? Thanks!
Normally I shy away from recommending two year programs, but $8K/year for 2 years is a sweet deal. Most of these programs run for $20-50K!

Offhand, TUNCOM, Western, PCOM, Nova, LECOM, Touro-CA, my school, KCU come to mind...and then I draw a blank. There are more out there.

Normally I shy away from recommending two year programs, but $8K/year for 2 years is a sweet deal. Most of these programs run for $20-50K!

Offhand, TUNCOM, Western, PCOM, Nova, LECOM, Touro-CA, my school, KCU come to mind...and then I draw a blank. There are more out there.
Refering to DMU? Yes it is super reasonable, especially for a private school. ALSO.... we get FWS, so the time I spend in the lab past my credit requirement (this semester is 15 hours weekly) I get paid for up to 20 hrs/week, $12/hr. So I try to spend 35 hours a week in lab.

I would actually jump on that 2 year masters for 8K/year. That's a nice price tag for a great education.

Reactions: 2 users
Its actually 4K/yr technically. Just over 8K for the two years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

That said, applications were only accepted till June 15th. They may extend though if you email them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I would actually jump on that 2 year masters for 8K/year. That's a nice price tag for a great education.
You get a laptop too. Which is pretty sweet. Same one the DOs get. Not sure how common that is.

Lol excuse me while I pack my bags and move to your state. See you in class this Fall :laugh:

WVSOM and VCOM have direct linkage with low MCAT's, as long as you get 3.4/3.5 in thier program

Golden ticket baby!