What DO Schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeshopper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! So I am compiling a list of schools to apply to this cycle and I am quite nervous about applying. I feel like my stats aren't the most competitive, however I've had experience working in the medical field for the past 5 years and had to work throughout my undergraduate career to pay for school. Do you think this will play a factor/make up for my less than competitive stats?

Also, if you have recommendations for what schools to apply to I would be very appreciative.

Graduated from UCI with a BS in Biological Sciences

cGPA: 3.30
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: 501

2 strong biology letters, 1 non-science letter, 1 OD letter (my current boss), 1 DO letter

Medical Experience:
- CNA License at age 18 - worked in hospice for 6 months (paid/volunteer)
- Private Caregiver at Hospice Facility for 12 months (paid)
- Scribe at Free Clinic for 24 months (volunteer)
- Scribe/Technician for 24 months (paid and ongoing)
- Shadowed MD for 2 weeks
- Shadowed DO for 2 weeks
- Local Hospital Volunteer (6 months and ongoing)

Non-Medical Experience:
- Tutored Special Needs Student for 12 months (paid)
- Tutor for a English-Second Language student (volunteer)
- Member of UCI dance team for 12 months
- President of UCI dance team for 12 months

Members don't see this ad.

Fine for any except AZCOM, CCOM, Western, PCOM, KCU, and Touro-CA.
I can't recommend:
Nova: four consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates; unethical behavior in how they dealt with an overbooking issue two years ago.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Goro are his stats( 3.1sgpa and 501 mcat) considered competitive for do schools or is it that plus the work experience as a health professional?