What DO schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachbum75

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already applied MD through AMCAS but want to apply to about 5 DO schools as well. The only school I am familiar with is PCOM (I live in NJ) and know it has a good reputation as a DO school but I have no idea where else I should apply. I have a 4.0 and 513 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to PCOM-PA. Rowan is your in-state public DO school. Also add NYITCOM-COM, UNECOM, and Touro-NY.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Other than UNECOM, those were all the schools I was thinking. Thanks!

I just picked UNECOM because it’s in the Northeast and has a solid reputation among DO schools. You could also consider LECOM-PA, but I’m not personally a fan... mandatory attendance and strict dress code.

I already applied MD through AMCAS but want to apply to about 5 DO schools as well. The only school I am familiar with is PCOM (I live in NJ) and know it has a good reputation as a DO school but I have no idea where else I should apply. I have a 4.0 and 513 MCAT

You should be applying to Rowan SOM. State funded, research opportunities, affiliated with Jefferson Hospital, in-house residencies. Equal or better than PCOM and in-state tuition.

If you applied smartly and broadly to MD, you don't need to apply DO.

Suggest Rowan, NYITCOM, VCOM, Touro ny, unecom, and/or lecom

Reactions: 1 users
You won't have trouble applying to most MD programs. Your score/GPA are well above the national average for matriculating students. Just do well in your interviews. As for DO programs, there's nothing wrong with you applying to those either. However, you are competitive for literally any DO school out there with those stats...

You can apply to every DO school under the sun with a 4.0/513. But since you're in Jersey definitely apply to RowanSOM, PCOM, NYITCOM, CCOM, and UNECOM. Those are literally the 5 best schools near you probably. You can add in Marian COM and DMU if you want.

I think yield protecting could be an issue. For that reason, I would apply to the coastal TUCOMs with higher median stats

If it hard enough to get into MD programs with great stats ( as some of us are really bad at undergoing interviews because we become beyond nervous thus lowering our great stats on paper), I do not know why more people do not apply to DO programs. For those of us who really want to minimize the risk of having to wait another year again to get into medical school, I think that DO school is a wonderful safety net that I wish I had been more familiar about earlier, so yet I feel that you can apply to any DO school.

If you're in NJ definitely Rowan as it has a big in state bias and affiliated hospital...

LECOM doesn't even have secondaries...

Touro is right in NY. It seems to have a good reputation now? The year I applied things looked sketchy because they overaccepted and had to defer a ton of applicants

The bit question is, IMO, would you be happy going to a DO school rather than an MD if that's all you got into this year? Otherwise save it for round 2 as a backup. There are a lot of threads on SDN of high stat applicants who only got into DO schools and are wondering if they should back out and re-apply MD.

And no one ever knows what happens to these applicants. Do they really get into an MD? Stay DO? Not get into an MD and have the doors to DO also shuttered?