What DO schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdrmi11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
506 MCAT (124/127/127/128) and 3.70 cumulative GPA and 3.54 sGPA

What are the "best" DO schools? Since there are no rankings anywhere, I am having trouble deciding where to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the "best" DO schools? Since there are no rankings anywhere, I am having trouble deciding where to apply.
You're fine for pretty much any DO and your state MDs. Figure out what things are no go for you( for me it was mandatory attendance and dress code) and avoid those

Reactions: 1 users

what state are you from and your EC? You will get in somewhere for sure with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for pretty much any DO and your state MDs. Figure out what things are no go for you( for me it was mandatory attendance and dress code) and avoid those
This.

IF you insist OP, I have a high regard for
VCOM, NYITCOM, KCU, TUNCOM, CCom, AZCOM, both PCOMs, both Westerns, MUCOM, touro.ca, DMU, KCOM

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This.

VCOM, NYITCOM, TUNCOM, CCom, AZCOM, both PCOMs, both Westerns, MUCOM, touro.ca, DMU, KCOM
KCU hate! :p (though I'm about there after this two weeks of orientation)

CCOM, DMU, KCU-COM, PCOM are considered the best MUCOM is good but expensive for out of state, I really like westenU in california, Nova in florida is decent too.

Reactions: 1 user
This.

VCOM, NYITCOM, TUNCOM, CCom, AZCOM, both PCOMs, both Westerns, MUCOM, touro.ca, DMU, KCOM

Do you have a high regard for RVUCOM?

KCU hate! :p (though I'm about there after this two weeks of orientation)
Fixed in post above. That's what I get for trying to walk the dog and answer SDN posts at the same time.

CCOM, DMU, KCU-COM, PCOM are considered the best MUCOM is good but expensive for out of state, I really like westenU in california, Nova in florida is decent too.
I can't recommend Nova because of four consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Do you have a high regard for RVUCOM?
No. Still not crazy about that for profit thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Fixed in post above. That's what I get for trying to walk the dog and answer SDN posts at the same time.

I can't recommend Nova because of four consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

No. Still not crazy about that for profit thing.
I know you like them, just had to get you for it :)

what state are you from and your EC? You will get in somewhere for sure with those stats.

I'm from Michigan. I have research experience in a hospital, shadowing and volunteering in hospitals/clinics, and am working at an electronic medical record company for my gap year.

This.

VCOM, NYITCOM, KCU, TUNCOM, CCom, AZCOM, both PCOMs, both Westerns, MUCOM, touro.ca, DMU, KCOM
How do you feel about UNE COM? Aren't they one of the older more established schools and (although it may not mean much) they have the highest usnews primary care ranking of any DO school.

This.

VCOM love <33

OP, I am from MI as well and will be starting at VCOM-Carolinas on Monday!

Your stats are good for any DO and have a shot at state MD as others have said.
I would apply to MSUCOM, PCOM, VCOM's, Touro's, LECOM, UNECOM and all Michigan MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCOM love <33

OP, I am from MI as well and will be starting at VCOM-Carolinas on Monday!

Your stats are good for any DO and have a shot at state MD as others have said.
I would apply to MSUCOM, PCOM, VCOM's, Touro's, LECOM, UNECOM and all Michigan MD schools.

Hi, was trying to PM you, but just wanted your opinion of VCOM and the campus you chose vs the others. Thanks!

This.

What is your take on UIWSOM?

Hi, was trying to PM you, but just wanted your opinion of VCOM and the campus you chose vs the others. Thanks!
VCOM has impressed me. They are a very organized and well run school with good professors. The facilities are nice, and they are gearing up for thier 4th campus in Lousianna very soon.

My decision to come to the Carolinas campus was one I did without much second thought. I was in the VA post-bacc and my close friends from the program were deciding to come here as well, closer to thier home. Another big reason was thier 3rd yr rotations in decent cities like Greenville, Myrttle Beach, and Charlotte, NC. On top of all that, they send a lot of thier Michigan students, back to Detroit or the metro-area, which is where I would like to do residency come that time.

Will be forever grateful to the post-bacc and the final chance that VCOM gave me to become a physician - wether that be in gen surg or IM, we shall see, but that's secondary at this point to me. I already feel blessed.

Not sure why you couldn't PM me, but feel free to hit me up <33

Last edited:
I go to VCOM-VA and have been very happy there. At some of the clinical rotation sites, you work right alongside MD students and attend the same student lectures they go to. I think the SC campus is fine, too. I didn't want to be in a med school's first class ever, which was the main reason why I didn't choose the Auburn campus.
Auburn 2022 class is not thier first class

This is interesting to me, I know there are private schools that do have IS bias, where others, have no bias BECAUSE they are private. Is this just descretion of the dean? I know public schools are required to have a bias because of funding but what's the determination for private schools?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Insights/thoughts on CUSOM? I know it’s relatively new but still seems like a strong program.