What do secondaries really mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkosp2451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some schools give secondaries out to almost all their applicants, but I'm wondering on what basis a school will give out a secondary. I was verified early October, took my MCAT last week, so I wont be receiving scores for a while, but I already got a secondary request from Rowan today. However, on the Rowan thread, it looks like there's some applicants who've sent their primaries in even before me who haven't gotten a secondary request yet...

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering on what basis schools will give out secondaries. I assumed it was a minimum GPA/MCAT, but in my case, I haven't even gotten my MCAT score back yet...

Members don't see this ad.

I know some schools give secondaries out to almost all their applicants, but I'm wondering on what basis a school will give out a secondary. I was verified early October, took my MCAT last week, so I wont be receiving scores for a while, but I already got a secondary request from Rowan today. However, on the Rowan thread, it looks like there's some applicants who've sent their primaries in even before me who haven't gotten a secondary request yet...

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering on what basis schools will give out secondaries. I assumed it was a minimum GPA/MCAT, but in my case, I haven't even gotten my MCAT score back yet...

Each school has different criteria on which to send a secondary to an applicant, many do not share this info. So just be glad you got one as it does show an expressed interest in your all.

As an idea: if a school sees that you have a strong academic record and GPA, they may send you a secondary based on just that.

secondaries typically mean that you meet their bare minimum requirements. some schools it may mean more (if they are super heavy mission based, etc possibly), but as a broad statement it just means that you are > the bare minimum

or they just want your (impersonal use of your.. not necessarily YOUR money) money lol.

in your case, who knows. i got an interview while having an MCAT below the 10th percentile for a school (but it's my state school, i have done research there, shadowing there, and i have a letter from the asst. dean) so take that with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have gotten secondaries from all schools I applied to. So I believe they do this for the money. Some do screen pre-secondary but I cannot accept that all school do. Once you submit everything then your application is reviewed and they weed people out. So if you ask me I would say secondaries are money gimmicks from colleges but do add to the application when it is finally reviewed. I hate schools that have no essays on their secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a specialized term for "Please give me money now"