What do these different medical terms mean? (clinicals, roations, etc..)

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading around a bit and I have no idea what these terms mean. When someone says I went to that place to do my cores or they don't let you do electives there or I'm doing my clinicals...and sometimes people talk about rotations. Are rotations like the training you get in your residency period?

So these are the terms I don't understand so far:

-clinicals
-rotations
-electives
-cores
is there anything else I should no?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've been reading around a bit and I have no idea what these terms mean. When someone says I went to that place to do my cores or they don't let you do electives there or I'm doing my clinicals...and sometimes people talk about rotations. Are rotations like the training you get in your residency period?

So these are the terms I don't understand so far:

-clinicals
-rotations
-electives
-cores
is there anything else I should no?

thanks

Here's the straight dope. In medical school, you have two years of basic sciences, which are lecture/lab based. The subsequent two years are the clinical years, where you are primarily working in the wards of hospitals (or sometimes in ambulatory medicine settings, clinics, etc). Thus "clinicals" refers to the third and fourth year of med school. During your clinical years, you delve into various specialties, generally spending between 1-3 months in each discipline. These 1-3 month blocks are referred to as "rotations" because you are rotating through specialties, or sometimes referred to as "clerkships". During your third year (at most med schools), you will be spending all of your rotations completing the "core" rotations, which are the basic set of rotations the LCME has determined all US med students should have completed, and are also the rotations featured on Step II of the USMLE licensing exam. The core rotations are Psychiatry, Internal Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, and Family Medicine. (Some places also include Neurology or EM as a core). During the 4th year you generally get to take "electives" which are rotations that aren't specifically mandated by the LCME, but you take them because you (1) are interested, or (2) to see if this is a field you might want to work in.

Rotations are sort of like a "residency - lite". You are getting exposure to the wards, but not really getting a full dose of what residency will be like. In your fourth year, most schools require you to do one or more "Sub-I's" (sub-internships) where you will act as if you are a resident (but with a lot more oversight), and get a flavor for what the next year will bring. So the rotations aren't really like the training you will get in your residency, but you will get a sense of it. And you will get to learn a lot of procedures, get better working with patients and with attendings, and get a sense on long hours.

Wow thanks that was very helpful.

I have another question though, during your two clinical years, are there any examinations? Or is it just show up and do your thing type of work which you are assessed on.

btw, are Canadian med schools the same thing? the cores and electives? the clinical years sound really neat and fun (i might get flamed for this lol)

Members don't see this ad :)

I have another question though, during your two clinical years, are there any examinations? Or is it just show up and do your thing type of work which you are assessed on.

btw, are Canadian med schools the same thing? the cores and electives? the clinical years sound really neat and fun (i might get flamed for this lol)

Depends on the places you rotate.

Yes, you will usually have a test at the end of each core rotation. They are called "shelf" exams and are standardized. So you will be reading through a review book or two during your "spare time" during the rotation. The clinical years are often "neat and fun", but you won't enjoy all of them equally, some you will outright hate, and you will be working very long hours in some of them. You will likely get to experience first-hand what a 30+ hour overnight shift is like, what being on call every 3rd or 4th night is like, what the 80+ hour work week is like. So sometimes it's simply too much of a good thing, even if you are enjoying yourself. And as noted, on top of these crazy hours, you are going to be expected to be studying because there is a test at the end of the block.

I have no knowledge of what things are like in Canada.

Thanks again! the hours sound insane...how do you cope with that lol I mean I can't imagine working that long with no sleep...how long are you breaks?

Thanks again! the hours sound insane...how do you cope with that lol I mean I can't imagine working that long with no sleep...how long are you breaks?

Some rotation hours are worse than others. Surgery, in-patient medicine and OBGYN will be far worse hours than things like psychiatry or family medicine. You get used to the long hours -- it's the lack of regularly having weekends off that tends to be hardest to stomach. In terms of breaks, do you mean vacation? Once the clinical years start, you usually have a short 1-2 week break for xmas, and something similar between 3rd and 4th year, and maybe a few days off as a "spring break" and a few major holidays. During 4th year some places also allow you to use some of your electives as vacation.

Thanks for answering some questions I didn't even know I had Law2Doc; and thanks for asking them nerv. It's nice to finally see a thread that's not all negative nancy-ish, but actually a bit productive.

I've been lurking for a bit now... I don't know how people do it so quietly... it's so awkward...

There are a number of rotations that are much more along the lines of "business hours." Any out-patient rotation (in which the patients aren't staying overnight in the hospital) tends to be easier. My family medicine month was 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday. That was it. This month, I'm on anesthesia, and it starts earlier - 6:30am or so - but I'm done around 3-5pm, and there's no overnight call or weekends.

Depakote! I haven't seen you in forever. How's it going?

Lucky. We don't have spring break for another month... I think I'm going to go tour some colleges though so it should be good nerdy fun.

Haha, I get not going on SDN as much... I s'pose a person can only take so much medical-talk in a day and I'm sure since you're in med school you're about up to your quota as is.