Medical What do you believe my chances are for getting into an MD program this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently in a Master's Program for Biomedical Engineering at the University of Rochester. I attended the University of Rochester for Undergrad as well where I majored in Biomedical Engineering. My undergraduate GPA was 3.73 and my MCAT score is a 516. I am worried about my work/activities outside of this and I am going to provide a brief overview of what I have done for the 2021 application so far:

Biomaterials Teaching Assistant - January 2020 - May 2020 (80 Hours)
Graduate Research - October 2019 - Present (100+ Hours)
Shadowing - 10/09/17 (8 Hours)
Youth Outreach Program (Volunteering) - February 2017 - February 2018 (25 Hours)
Friends of Strong Volunteer - October 2017 - January 2018 (24 Hours)
General Chemistry II Workshop Leader – February 2017 – April 2017 (30 Hours)
Biosystems & Circuits Teaching Assistant – January 2018 – May 2018 (30 Hours)
Benchtop Phantom to Mimic an Arteriovenous Fistula (Senior Design Project) – October 2018 – May 2019 (200 Hours)
Groundskeeper – June 2015 – August 2019 (3000 Hours)

Please let me know if you think I should wait until the next application cycle to get more clinical experience or if you think I have a chance to get into an MD program this cycle.
Based solely on your stats, you have ~75% chance of getting accepted into an M.D. school.

As you said, you are lacking in the clinical experience area. Personally, I would apply this cycle. I think your stats are strong enough to carry you even with the limited clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Need more description for your community service experiences and your clinical exposure. Shadowing hours by themselves is really light and you need a bit more. It would also help you to have shadowed outside of cardiology since most of your engineering projects seem to revolve around cardiology/hematology.
Here are my descriptions for the community service and shadowing:

Shadowing - I spent a day at local Medical Center observing the typical day of [name removed], an anesthesiologist. Saw multiple things that are typical in the average day of an anesthesiologist. This included the administration of anesthesia to patients before undergoing procedures and the use of nerve blocks. This allowed me to observe a physician in the specialty that I have always been most interested in. It further solidified the fact for me that a career in medicine was what I wanted to pursue.

Youth Outreach Program - A weekly program where we would go to a local elementary school in a low-income area of Rochester. We would then work with the children in a variety of different classes to either assist with problems they may be facing or to participate in different activities. This was a very rewarding experience as every week the children would be beyond excited to see me and fellow university students arrive at the school. For me, this was one of the first times I had experienced how underprivileged children experienced school. It brought about new understanding for me as to discrepancies that exist in the world.

Volunteer in the cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology lab at Hospital. I was responsible for preparing meals and drinks for patients in the lab. I would also be responsible for taking patients to patient discharge where I would wait for the patients ride to arrive and assist them with getting in the vehicle if necessary. This experience allowed me to gain a better understanding of the clinical setting. It also allowed me to provide patients with a positive experience after their surgery by providing them with a meal after not eating for extended periods of time or conversing with them while bringing them to patient discharge.

Chances of getting into med school are 100% on you. All we can do is advise on chances for getting interviews. Was your MS program a research MS or a SMP for improving your GPA for med schools?

EDIT: for me, clinical experience is lethally low. You should have > 150 hrs of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.