1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What do you do at work?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by htyotispharm, Jul 31, 2006.

1. htyotispharm

htyotispharm Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello everyone. I'm a senior PharmD student considering doing a residency. I've been on a couple rotations so far and have really been disappointed with what I've seen so far as with the pharmacist interaction with the other medical staff, especially on rounds. They just stand there until someone asks a question. My question is how involved are you guys at your place of employment. My professors really push for everyone to do a residency but from what I've seen I think I'll be more misreable than working in retail. If not a residency, I want to go back and get another degree but I really don't know what I want to do since retail pharmacy was the only reason I went to pharmacy school. It wasn't until I got into pharmacy school that I realized I felt like a waste everytime I went to work.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    How may places have you worked? I worked one place I hated but the rest were good. Sometimes the system and the staff make a big difference.

4. letjin

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm 2PD and I've been to a couple "mini" rotations. Where I went, the pharmacists were considered independent clinicians and they took charge of clinics (diabetes, HTN, somking cessation, anticoagulation). Their interaction w/ the medical team was limited to overviewing orders on medical charts. However, the infectious disease preceptor had a plenty of interaction w/ the medical team... so I guess it'll vary b/w hospitals or geographical areas...

Personally if MY DOCTOR consulted pharmacists A LOT on rounds I'd be a little skeptical about his qualifications as a doctor...

(BTW...this is a double post- I saw another one in residencies forum)