What do you do to stay in shape??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammocah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do to stay in shape..? Seems there's so little time left after studying, clubs and organizations, classes, and work. Is there such thing as a "freshman 15" in pharm school?

I'm supposed to be running now but I'm sitting here eating a cheesecake instead. At least I'm writing about working out... haha... :p

Members don't see this ad.

I quit eating all together except for about a meal once a day, and a small one at that. My life style has become real inactive due to time constrant.

I play lots of golf and lift weights.. pretty much eat what I want.. at 37, all lab values wnl. No meds other than multivitamins and occassional ibuprofen.

Oh..sex with Mrs. Zpacksux prn.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have gained 20 lbs.....

so nothing...

the majority of my class is banking on affording lipo after we're done..

ZpackSux said:
Oh..sex with Mrs. Zpacksux prn.

Mrs. Zpacksux said you were boring until Caverject was introduced into your life....it's pretty well known macrolides are boring as hell by themselves :smuggrin:

Caverject said:
Mrs. Zpacksux said you were boring until Caverject was introduced into your life....it's pretty well known macrolides are boring as hell by themselves :smuggrin:

Yes, macrolides are boring as hell...that's why I think they suck...

Since my shape is currently spherical, I'd have to say eating helps me stay in shape.

LVPharm said:
Since my shape is currently spherical, I'd have to say eating helps me stay in shape.

[insert: laughing smiley] - darn server

and zpack - keep it in your pants 'round here :scared:

...I take that back, after looking in the mirror, I have assumed the shape of a gumdrop ever since I started pharmacy school

grimace.jpg

record lectures and jog while listening to them... btw, there is a HUGE difference between jogging 15 minutes and not doing anything at all.. (dont you have 30 mins in a day?)

yatzek said:
record lectures and jog while listening to them... btw, there is a HUGE difference between jogging 15 minutes and not doing anything at all.. (dont you have 30 mins in a day?)

Yes I suppose everyone has 30 minutes to spare. I guess it's more a problem of motivation than time constraints.. I felt guilty after writing my original post that I went out and ran 2 miles in my hopeless attempt to get a flat tummy.. I love food too much!! :p

I've gained 50 pounds since starting pharmacy school. I'm not eating a lot, but I have super-slow metabolism and have to exercise for hours each day just to maintain my weight. I love to ride my bike for hours both on paved trails and off road trails. My bike has dust on it. :(

I only have 1 week left, then I'm going to go on epic bike rides.

I cut back my calories. I hate working out, but that's the only way I lose weight. I did the 1200 calories a day, work out for an hour and a half every other day thing and lost 65 lbs or so, then gained back 10 of it. I was eating about 2000 calories a day, and that's how I gained that weight... I cut back to 1400 / day (that's the upper limit, but for example yesterday I probably had about 800), and I'm just maintaining now. I'm don't work out but I do lift weighs for a couple minutes every day, walk more places than I drive, and have a very active sex life. DAMN YOU METABOLISM I HATE YOU. I blame this all on my genetics. Seriously, I'm "the skinny one" in my family, and I'm a size 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope I can find the time to work out while in school. I lost 60 lbs thinking that schools want "healthy" students cause its a health care field n' all. Right now I work 40-48 hrs a week, have Organic chem II and still find time to work out 2-3 times a week and have maintaned my new "healthy" weight, so maybe I just have to make sure I make time to keep working out. :)

tetra327 said:
I really hope I can find the time to work out while in school. I lost 60 lbs thinking that schools want "healthy" students cause its a health care field n' all. Right now I work 40-48 hrs a week, have Organic chem II and still find time to work out 2-3 times a week and have maintaned my new "healthy" weight, so maybe I just have to make sure I make time to keep working out. :)

WVURxGal and Tetra327 - Congratulations on that weight loss!! 60 pounds is a whole heck of a lot!! I think nothing can spell out dedication and discipline better than that!

My sister went from 220 to 150 on the slim fast diet.. I skipped a meal once and had a slim fast instead just to see how it felt. It was pure torture and I vowed never to skip another meal in my life.

I am also very troubled about the weight problem. I tried to eat less but it does not really work because I really have to eat in order to study. One day, I went to NY to visit my sister and saw pilate on TV. I bought it and tried. I found that it really helps. it's only 20 minutes and 3 times a week. I did not lose a lot of weight but I feel my body shape is a lot better than before. You might want to try pilate. :)

If you eat less than your body requires... the most amazing thing happens.. you lose weight..

If I need to drop a 5 or 10 (non water weight)... I eat 5 to 10 buffalo wings for lunch and 5 to 10 buffalo wings for dinner for 2 to 4 weeks..

Low Carb, high protein.. and the weight comes off.

LVPharm said:

Yeah, that.

I'm not in pharmacy school...YET, so I have a little more time than those that are in pharmacy school.
I usually run (I say usually b/c my IT-band (for those that run, they know what IT-Band is, IT JUST SUCKS) has been KILLING ME lately) 3 days a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat) for about 2-3 miles/30-45 mins. I have also cut out soda, which was REALLY hard at first but eh, you get use to it and it saves you money. Instead of buying value meals, I jsut order the sandwhich and get water. It didn't fill me up at first but once again, you get use to it.
I'm sure once I get into pharm school that my time will be constricted but hopefully I can be disciplined enough to run on saturdays or something.
If you went to a HUGE school like me, (I went to UT-Austin for undergrad), then walking from class to class is your exercise! :laugh:

I hear you on the undergrad keeping the weight off going from class to class...

here though you sit in one room all day and your teachers rotate...

my butt is currently the shape of my chair in class

bbmuffin said:

should I bring this seat:
GrossBU024.jpg

or this one:
tort_chair2.jpg

I alternate between my treadmill and Bowflex, while doing 200 crunches 3-5 times a week. My goal for the fall is to have a solid six-pack. I had to cut off sodas and sugary juices and instead opt for lots of water and Sierra Mist Free. I love carbs, so I didn't change that too much - I can't stand having rice and pasta off my menu. However, I don't have much sweets (goodbye Cinnabon!) and avoid anything too cheesy or fried. I also quit eating dinner past 7pm....and so far, so good! :D

Prepharm here. =)

I run and run and run.

Football and basket ball on the weekends.

And a dirty look given to my weights and equipment which I spent $500+ on everyday... =)

Anybody from USN/Las Vegas wanna join me for running, let me know! =)

nikkai said:
Prepharm here. =)

I run and run and run.

Football and basket ball on the weekends.

And a dirty look given to my weights and equipment which I spent $500+ on everyday... =)

Anybody from USN/Las Vegas wanna join me for running, let me know! =)

I attending USN coming fall. Yeah, that's one of the question i asked when they show me around the school. I guess the school is too small to have. Only thing they have for sports is pingpong table and miniture pool table :confused: I will look you up. Basketball is my sport. 2 or 3 times a week if i can. I recently hurt my ankle shooting 3s :oops: damn the person for jump into me. I do some weight, only to stay strong so i won't get push around too much :D A little running always help your endurance on the court.

For USN students: At the corner of Sunset Rd. and Eastern (pretty close to the school) is Sunset Park. Not a bad place, really. It has a 1 mile jogging trail that forms a complete loop around a large artificial lake stocked with trout and many waterfowl. It's the Las Vegas Review Journal's "Best Place To Walk or Jog" in Las Vegas.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/bestoflv/2005/ShortReturns.jsp;jsessionid=KFCGKIEEKJDP?bestID=7329

There are also many basketball and tennis courts, and plenty of softball and baseball diamonds, public swimming pool (ecch!). Also, a frisbee golf course. It's one of the largest parks here in Clark County. Just stay away from the periphery of the park...the homeless folks there seem friendly, but you never know. There is also a smaller park down on Russell Road near Whitney Mesa that some of the students frequent.

LVPharm said:
For USN students: At the corner of Sunset Rd. and Eastern (pretty close to the school) is Sunset Park. Not a bad place, really. It has a 1 mile jogging trail that forms a complete loop around a large artificial lake stocked with trout and many waterfowl. It's the Las Vegas Review Journal's "Best Place To Walk or Jog" in Las Vegas.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/bestoflv/2005/ShortReturns.jsp;jsessionid=KFCGKIEEKJDP?bestID=7329

There are also many basketball and tennis courts, and plenty of softball and baseball diamonds, public swimming pool (ecch!). Also, a frisbee golf course. It's one of the largest parks here in Clark County. Just stay away from the periphery of the park...the homeless folks there seem friendly, but you never know. There is also a smaller park down on Russell Road near Whitney Mesa that some of the students frequent.

I won't be in Vegas in the Fall (signature =) ).

Sunset gets a little too crowded for basketball. Your best bet is to go into the suburbs of Green Valley (since it's right there) and look for a smaller park. I live by Desert Breeze, so it's great for foot ball and soccer, but for basketball, too few courts for too many people.

Running will kill you during the summer, but the advantage is that once you've conditioned yourself here, running in other places is easier (except for biting cold) since we're slightly higher than normal in elevation and much much much lower in humidity. People also give you strange looks for running... =) Not like california.

I actually did not mind using the jogging trail at Sunset Park up until the temps became unbearable (then it's indoors to the treadmill). Even in late May when it starts to really heat up, there's a nice cool breeze in the late afternoon at the south end of the trail. The trail also skirts a "wildlife" area where you get to see jackrabbits and quail running through the scrub brush. I like running where there is plenty of distraction to look at (that's why I hate running indoors), and it's a great place for people watching. All sorts of people use the park. I agree with you about the crowds at the basketball court...it wasn't too busy this afternoon, more people were at the beach volleyball courts, but I've seen it packed.

i run run and run sommore too. 3 miles (5-6 times a week) . mostly outdoors by the beach b/c i'm in San Diego now. also --no soda, no white bread, no regular pasta, no white rice. brown is in guys! no chips, no candy lay low on the boxed juices. my weakness is sugary breakfast foods.. my knees grow week at the sight of starbucks.. i try to consume my bad foods in the morning so atl east i'll try to burn them off by the evening..
i'm kinda of scared next year b/c i'll be at USC(southern california) and i hear running outsid isn't as feasible there.. anyone know?.. its probably the lack of quality air they have in LA. =( i might have to resort to indoor running sad but true. also anyone know of any running groups/training groups to join?

crest29 said:
i run run and run sommore too. 3 miles (5-6 times a week) . mostly outdoors by the beach b/c i'm in San Diego now. also --no soda, no white bread, no regular pasta, no white rice. brown is in guys! no chips, no candy lay low on the boxed juices.

also anyone know of any running groups/training groups to join?

That's a lot of running and a lot of "no's".... I'm more of the Yes person... especially to carbs -- Besides, I'm asian so white rice is my staple! hahah...

I only know of this running group -- The LA Road Runners -- It's the official running group to train for the the LA Marathon. http://www.laroadrunners.com/

There are probably many others... If you find some of them.. Please share! :) I'll be going to USC this fall too.

*grin*

I eat like there's no tomorrow. I don't really care what I eat as long as it's not too carcinogenic... =)

I just run 6 days a week.
Weights 3-4 days a week depending on the run.
Football + Soccer on Saturdays.
Basketball on Sundays.

You too can eat what you want and achieve the six pack of your dreams. Just follow my four step program and send 100 USD to me. =) :smuggrin:

you people make me sick....
running
weight training
healthy eating

:barf:

sitting on my couch and eating starches for me

i enjoy a good jar of peanut butter now and then... :oops:

thanks
i'm not that hardcore though.. no marathons for me! i may run alot but i run real slow.. unfortunately its more of a stress reliever for me also.. i say no to alot of things but .. like i said i am so weak when it comes to starbucks. =( ohh .. and those sugary boba drinks.. i was thinking more of like masters running groups or something..

jammocah said:
That's a lot of running and a lot of "no's".... I'm more of the Yes person... especially to carbs -- Besides, I'm asian so white rice is my staple! hahah...

I only know of this running group -- The LA Road Runners -- It's the official running group to train for the the LA Marathon. http://www.laroadrunners.com/

There are probably many others... If you find some of them.. Please share! :) I'll be going to USC this fall too.

Yeah, exercise is one good way to stay in shape and eat what you want. Balance always important. I am asian, so no rice will kill me. pan fry noodles!!

bbmuffin said:
I hear you on the undergrad keeping the weight off going from class to class...

here though you sit in one room all day and your teachers rotate...

yup...that sounds very familiar. I try to work out by parking out in the BFE on the top floor and force myself to walk up the stairs. Problem is that sometime I'm too lazy and end up using the elevator.

Actually I thought that studying burns calories. But I don't think that is very true. God only know that with all the studying I'm doing...i should have already resembled a skinner version of calista flockhart :rolleyes:

dude!
i'm asian too! but for some reason.. rice .. doesnt really do it for me

crest29 said:
dude!
i'm asian too! but for some reason.. rice .. doesnt really do it for me

Well, i guess it's depends on which part of china you from. You know the saying, the northern favor bread(chinese one) and southern favor rice. Actually, i am bread/noodle person. But it's really hard to get those really good chinese bread if you aren't live near any major chinatown. making them on your own is too time consumming. so rice become the main course. I am not going beat you down on not loving rice. ;) I enjoy a big nice juicy whopper often enough. but there is no way i am going to give it up. unless it become a new source of cancer. then i probably think twice before i eat it:laugh:

I eat pretty bad, but i dont eat very much. Ive gained 15 pounds since last may but thats from working full time and not school. To stay in shape. I ran xc and track in highschool. Im an avid runner and i picked up cyling 4 years ago when i got stress facture and couldnt run. I tried triathloning but i cant swim to save my life and i wasnt a big fan, so now i use cycling more as cross training. Long rides (40+miles are def my favorite). Im trying to build my running back becasue i would like to do a trail marathon in september. It would be my second marathon. I think summer is gonna help me get back into running seriosuly. I really dont lift weights beacsue real runners dont lift :laugh: (thats my excuse for having a tiny upper body and being weak)

I think the hardest thing is not finding time to run, but finding the motivation. Im usually destroyed from sitting in class all day, i just want to go home and watch tv. Not run.

yatzek said:
. (dont you have 30 mins in a day?)

well yes.. but its the 30min bus ride to get to the trail or the school gym
or the 30min bus rude to the yoga or dance studio, then back

the problem is I live in an area thats not good for walking, and going to work out eats up 2 hrs out of my day by the time i wait for the bus, get there, and then wait for the bus back (no car)

i bought some pilates dvds, but have barely used them since 2 years ago..
i'm hoping to start using them again this summer when my schedule is more regular (versus class)

right now.. i'm a huge meat eater and chocolate lover
oh wells
when i'm graduated i can pay for a gym membership, a personal trainer, and the car to get there, right?

besides.. i'm lucky.. my metabolism is INSANE...

mmmmmmmmmmm...

oreos have become my therapeutics study food this semester.....

i'm in 2 weddings this summer... looks like crash diet coming soon!

bbmuffin said:
mmmmmmmmmmm...

oreos have become my therapeutics study food this semester.....

i'm in 2 weddings this summer... looks like crash diet coming soon!

Oreo... yum.. Crisco Shortening and Sugar.. :eek:

ZpackSux said:
Oreo... yum.. Crisco Shortening and Sugar.. :eek:
and yet they are so good....

oh and did i forget to mention double stuffed?????

bbmuffin said:
and yet they are so good....

oh and did i forget to mention double stuffed?????

are u a Tide fan?

ZpackSux said:
are u a Tide fan?
no.....

i bleed orange.......

I know i'm going to be killed for this one but...

GO VOLS!

bbmuffin said:
no.....

i bleed orange.......

I know i'm going to be killed for this one but...

GO VOLS!

Hmm... I have an ambivalent feeling... now. TN.. good program.. I bet you were happy we (A&M) stole Dennis Franchione away from Bama.. or maybe you don't care.. But y'all Vols gave me a nasty strep throat when y'all stomped our "young and growing" Aggies in the Cotton Bowl..

I've been going on the elliptical for about 20-30min a day. I do it in front of the tv, so that constitutes my studying break. Right now I'm pretty much maintaining my weight.. I think it may have to do with all the fast food I'm eating. I always give into the cravings. :laugh: After this week though I'm going to go hardcore and do at least 3-4 miles on the elliptical a day and start some sit ups and weight training. It's almost swimsuit season!

kung fu is my choice of exercise

mystiqx said:
kung fu is my choice of exercise

Wanna fight? I'll use my Tai Chi moves ..

ZpackSux said:
Wanna fight? I'll use my Tai Chi moves ..

sure bring it on, don't forget you dealing with an almost-blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do as well hehe, be very afraid. mwah haw haw hawwww!!! :p