What do you drink?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You drink...

• Regular soda

Votes: 118 43.9%
  • Diet soda

Votes: 151 56.1%

• Total voters

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

liquidy stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, that's cool too... but I was wondering diet versus regular... from work, shadowing, volunteering, interviewing experiences, I've noticed a trend. Curious what you guys choose.

Only diet. Regular soda is too sweet for me.

i hate both. i only drink water and liquor drinks.

Diet sunkist, diet vanilla coke.

Has anyone tried that new diet vanilla cherry dr. pepper? lol.

sprite zero, bar none.

I love the ads for Diet Vanilla Cherry Doctor Pepper. How many adjectives can you have?

As a side note--I love the sarcasm at this hour.

dopaminophile said:
I love the ads for Diet Vanilla Cherry Doctor Pepper. How many adjectives can you have?

As a side note--I love the sarcasm at this hour.

:laugh:

Wow! I was so surprised at the way this poll is going? I thought regular soda would be whooping diet. I support a strong position on the regular soda side of things. All those artificial sweetners (usually it's aspartame that's used), are not neccessarily the safest things out there. The health risks associated with sucralose and acesulfame-K have also not been studied enough. There is tons of anecdotal evidence (yes, I realize these aren't clincial trials), that these sweetners may be carcinogenic in the long-term or be associated with other health problems. If you're going to drink 1 soda a day, it's not a big deal to go ahead and drink those 150 calories or whatever. For me, it's not worth the risk of increasing my chances of who-knows-what disease just to save an occasional couple of calories here and there.

Bring it on Diet soda lovers ;)

when i read the thread title, i thought this was gonna be a beer poll. miller light, great taste, less filling

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather be old with cancer than young and fat.

:barf: aspartame is some bad $hit!!! Do a pub med search and check out some of the studies. If it wasn't backed by Coca-Cola is never would have gotten FDA approval. It is proven to lower siezure thesholds, cause migraines, and even cause brain abnormalities in extreme cases!! Sucralose from what I've read is the safest because it is sucrose with a choride group added that inhibits absorbtion so it goes right through you without even digesting. I personally drink coffee or tea with sacharine. Sacharine has only been clinically shown to cause bladder cancer in rats, and later research has proven that the cancer in rats is linked to it's interaction with a protein in rat urine that humans do not produce anywhere in the body. I'm not saying it's completely safe but there has been no direct link to any type of cancer in humans and I personally like the flavor over the other sweetners. Also, aspartame has to be kept refrigerated when in liquid form or it breaks down to formaldehyde! Don't believe me? Leave a diet coke in the garage over the summer and then cool it and try to drink it!!! I discovered this in this exact manner and have since looked it up :eek: Disgusting!!!!! :barf:

Coffee....water....bourbon....wine.

Ambs said:
Diet sunkist, diet vanilla coke.

Has anyone tried that new diet vanilla cherry dr. pepper? lol.

Mmm, the Diet Vanilla Cherry Dr. Pepper is good. It really just tastes like Dr. Pepper, though. :D

My favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Vanilla Coke.

Nothing but orange juice (Not punch) ;) .

hossofadoc said:
Coffee....water....bourbon....wine.

Yes..Coffee...and lots of it....For those of you in search of the perfect drug...starbucks with two shots of expresso. MMM MMM good.

Yeah, I too thought this was going to be about what kinds of beer/wine/liquor everyone drank. I guess that's just where my naughty mind wanders when I think of drinks. :D

I drink diet soda because I am trying to keep my carb intake low. A can of regular coke has like 45 carbs!!!! :eek: I also agree with UCLAStudent that regular soda is just too sweet. Even before I was on low carb, I still would usually drink diet, for that reason alone.
And, elaborating on WillFerrel's comment, I think the health risks of being overweight would outweigh those associated with artifical sweeteners.

Diet all the way, baby! :thumbup:

diet, and distilled spirits with it if i go out. no reason to add extra calories, theyre better spend on burgers and steaks. if cancer results, ill just have to cure it. but it will sidetrack me from finding my fountain of youth, doh. diet dr pepper is great (especially for premeds right), and diet pepsi too. diet coke not so wonderful but good enough. diet sprite, big red are bad. i like the taste of nutrasweet after many years of having it, regular drinks are too sweet now, and the sugars bad for your teeth as the dental forum could probably attest.

water, beer, and milk... but not together

This is so surprising to me! I drink regular soda, though not in huge quantities, because I think artificial sweeteners taste nasty. I do think regular is too sweet, but I'd rather have sugar sweetness than fake sweetness. I wish they'd make a diet drink by simply putting in half as much sugar and not trying to make up the sweetness with aspartame, Splenda, or what have you. That, I would buy.

I think you people who are afraid of either carbs (unless you're diabetic or similar) or getting cancer from artificial sweeteners need to get something real to worry about.

JimmyMallo said:
:barf: aspartame is some bad $hit!!! Do a pub med search and check out some of the studies. If it wasn't backed by Coca-Cola is never would have gotten FDA approval. It is proven to lower siezure thesholds, cause migraines, and even cause brain abnormalities in extreme cases!! Sucralose from what I've read is the safest because it is sucrose with a choride group added that inhibits absorbtion so it goes right through you without even digesting. I personally drink coffee or tea with sacharine. Sacharine has only been clinically shown to cause bladder cancer in rats, and later research has proven that the cancer in rats is linked to it's interaction with a protein in rat urine that humans do not produce anywhere in the body. I'm not saying it's completely safe but there has been no direct link to any type of cancer in humans and I personally like the flavor over the other sweetners. Also, aspartame has to be kept refrigerated when in liquid form or it breaks down to formaldehyde! Don't believe me? Leave a diet coke in the garage over the summer and then cool it and try to drink it!!! I discovered this in this exact manner and have since looked it up :eek: Disgusting!!!!! :barf:

Wow, I didnt know there would be any of these types of people on this site, I expected more of you guys.

I am not going to get into any heated argument on this. You can do a quick google on aspartame and see it causes everything from tumors, seizures, migraines, democratic governments to topple, everything! Its a huge industrial/governmental conspiracy, if you look online...

Now do me a favor, look at this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/Aspartame.png

That is aspartame (aka NutraSweet, aka Equal). Everyone on here should have a little basic biochemsitry background, and I'm assuming youve been shown the amino acids. So can anyone figure out what that structure is?

OMG, its just asparginine and phenylalanine, linked together as a normal polypeptide would.

So, if aspartame is "evil", then good luck eating ANY MEAT OR ANYTHING WITH PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potato! said:
Wow! I was so surprised at the way this poll is going? I thought regular soda would be whooping diet. I support a strong position on the regular soda side of things. All those artificial sweetners (usually it's aspartame that's used), are not neccessarily the safest things out there. The health risks associated with sucralose and acesulfame-K have also not been studied enough. There is tons of anecdotal evidence (yes, I realize these aren't clincial trials), that these sweetners may be carcinogenic in the long-term or be associated with other health problems. If you're going to drink 1 soda a day, it's not a big deal to go ahead and drink those 150 calories or whatever. For me, it's not worth the risk of increasing my chances of who-knows-what disease just to save an occasional couple of calories here and there.

Bring it on Diet soda lovers ;)

i'm a converted regular-to-diet soda lover, by accident really. my roommate has a ton of leftover diet pepsi from a tailgate and i started drinking it.

so many things "could" be carcinogenic. as far as i'm concerned, my tendency to burn toast and hang around smokers every once in a while is more likely to cause me cancer than fake sugar.

by the way, if you have one soda a day at 150 calories, that's something like a 9 pound weight gain per year if you aren't compensating with exercise.

not to argue with you, but you asked me to "bring it on" ;)

TwoLegacies said:
by the way, if you have one soda a day at 150 calories, that's something like a 9 pound weight gain per year if you aren't compensating with exercise.

Sure, and if you have one sandwich a day at 300 calories, that's an 18 pound weight gain per year if you aren't compensating with exercise.

The problem with regular soda is not that is 150 calories or what-not, its that is 150 calories of high fructose corn syrup (or sugar if youre in canada). These calories have no nutritional value, and do not fill you. So you make up for it by eating more, and you dont feel full off of a can of soda.

Some people, like myself, are much more prone to gaining weight with something like that. Thus I drink diet (FAYGO CAME OUT WITH A DIET GRAPE!!!!!!). Others arent, like my friend @ school who is a fricken twig, he drinks regular. Another friend of mine chooses by taste, regular pepsi but diet almost everything else. But you have to admit, having things such as sugar laden soda so prevalent in our society is helping with that obesity problem!

lorelei said:
Sure, and if you have one sandwich a day at 300 calories, that's an 18 pound weight gain per year if you aren't compensating with exercise.

clearly. but sandwiches are food, which you need-- soda is an extra that adds nothing to your diet but calories.

my point was not that you shouldn't have calories, but that some people don't realize how relatively few calories a day add up to extra poundage. it's like the difference between a sandwich with mustard and one with extra mayo and bacon.

Funny poll....especially since I'm addicted to diet coke, which I know is bad for me--carcinogenic and what not. I'm a very healthy person in general, so I'm hoping that the fruits and veggies that I eat might combat the harmful ingredients in the diet drinks I consume as well. This is how I see it: no one leads a perfectly healthy life, and in my opinion, there are much more harmful things that I could be pumping into my body--cigarettes, drugs, beer, etc. Any thoughts?

gbiz said:
The problem with regular soda is not that is 150 calories or what-not, its that is 150 calories of high fructose corn syrup (or sugar if youre in canada). These calories have no nutritional value, and do not fill you. So you make up for it by eating more, and you dont feel full off of a can of soda.

I hear this a lot - is it true? Personally I know that when I'm on the run and don't have time to eat, but I'm hungry, I grab a soda, and that holds me over until I can get food. It doesn't make me feel full per se, since there's no solids in my stomach, but it definitely makes me less hungry.

People forget that appetite isn't regulated just by fullness, but also by calorie intake (for example, the study where they fed people shakes of various caloric amounts, and many of the people had a smaller appetite after being fed high-calorie shakes). Granted, this mechanism often doesn't work very well, given the clean-plate club, the cultural expectation to eat at mealtimes rather than when you're hungry, and the fact that it seems to be less strong in those who are predisposed to be overweight. So yeah, avoiding empty calories is a good idea, but I still eat candy.

Usually I drink water or beer but when I drink soda, it's certainly not diet.

LauraMac said:
i hate both. i only drink water and liquor drinks.

same here, when im bored at work or at home, i just drink water for some reason....i literally drink like 5 gallons of water a day

tonight will be reserved for the liquor though! :D see ya in Hoboken!!

I drink coffee, water and beer, but not necessarily in that order. :barf:

No coffee, no alcohol, no diet soda. Sometimes regular soda but propel most of the time...love that stuff. :thumbup:

Code Brown said:
Absynth...
hey code brown... i'm goin backpackin this summer. how much does it run usually? thnx

I have been known to drink bleach, dishwasher detergent and turpentine .... yum.

Diet Dr. Pepper is the only diet soda I will touch unless its diet coke and vodka. I might consider the latter ... but under the right conditions.

mshheaddoc said:
I have been known to drink bleach, dishwasher detergent and turpentine .... yum.

Diet Dr. Pepper is the only diet soda I will touch unless its diet coke and vodka. I might consider the latter ... but under the right conditions.

antifreeze is pretty good too. it tastes a lot better than the wiper fluid or brake fluid. motor oil aged properly isn't bad either.

red bull and vodka.

PublicEnemy said:
antifreeze is pretty good too. it tastes a lot better than the wiper fluid or brake fluid. motor oil aged properly isn't bad either.

red bull and vodka.
well oil gives me indigestion, don't know why. Wiper fluid is ok but that is like an after dinner drink. Brake fluid tastes NASTY! Antifreeze is :thumbup: :thumbup:

I only drink malt liquor and scotch on the rocks. Soda is for pansies.

roadrunnerrita said:
I only drink malt liquor and scotch on the rocks. Soda is for pansies.

scotch on the rocks! my kind of girl, i could definitely go for some blue label right now.

JimmyMallo said:

I think i remember saccharin being one that caused abnormalities in rats at like, 50 times the mg/kg human dose. Werent they administering saccharin at like 10 grams /day to these rats?

PublicEnemy said:
scotch on the rocks! my kind of girl, i could definitely go for some blue label right now.

Too bad you're going to school across the country. You could take me out for a drink! ;)

coffee, water, accelerade during practice

mmmm, beer. a pint at Pizza Port hits the spot

for all-night dancing with no hangover: red bull and vodka

as for diet soda, doesn't anyone else notice a headache the next day. ughh

and for crying out loud, what medical person is on a low carb diet. please tell me you at least are on south beach on not atkins, unless you want to see a cardiologist rather be one. doesn't your brain need glucose to function....excercise is much more fun and better for your heart.

roadrunnerrita said:
Too bad you're going to school across the country. You could take me out for a drink! ;)

haha, anytime.

UCLAstudent said:
Mmm, the Diet Vanilla Cherry Dr. Pepper is good. It really just tastes like Dr. Pepper, though. :D

My favorites are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Vanilla Coke.

Diet vanilla coke is great :thumbup:

I'll have to try the diet vanilla cherry dr. pepper. That's a really long name for a non-liquor, non-fruity, non-smoothie, calorie free drink.

j04177117 said:
diet soda is terrrible

Yeah, but after you drink enough of the stuff you start not to notice and regular soda tastes kind of weird (at least it did for me).