What do you guys consider to be good EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzamaker

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys can tell me a good list of EC to complete and when do you know when you completed enough? (basically whats a good amount of EC's, time in hospital, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if you guys can tell me a good list of EC to complete and when do you know when you completed enough? (basically whats a good amount of EC's, time in hospital, etc)

Good EC's:
1) Clinical Experience
2) Research Experience
3) Shadowing
4) Other

Do you guys agree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of my EC's were dance related :thumbup:

I helped build the pyramids

and you know Imma list that b**** on my ECs.

112117068368cMm4.jpg

Last edited:
Good EC's:
1) Clinical Experience
2) Research Experience
3) Shadowing
4) Other

Do you guys agree?

These are all good to have but make sure you find time to do something that is meaningful to you too. I did a lot of extra cirrics during college and in my post bac that had NOTHING to do with medicine. It made me better person and kept me more real than a cookie cutter pre-med. So make sure you find time to keep being who you are and participating in things that are outside the medical world.

I think several hundred hours at a location over several years is the ideal clinical EC. Research is good but I did more clinical stuff because I hate research. I volunteer at an animal shelter too. Shadowing over 100hrs. Then, I would find something unique. Read to cancer kids every Christmas or something. That sounds great doesn't it!

You have completed enough ECs when you get an acceptance letter.

I agree you want a lot of clinical volunteering (or work) hours over a period of several years. Researching is good too- try to do a presentation or publication if you do it. Shadowing is good too- I personally think 50 hours is minimum and around 100 is ideal (I had around 80)

More importantly as mentioned find something unique- In my interviews I was asked most about all my international experience (2 humanitarian trips, 2 study abroads) and the research that I did in a non-science field during one of the trips (with national presentation). Find something you love to do- if you like kids try a special needs camp, or if you like the elderly go to a nursing home. It will come out in interviews if you were passionate about what you did.

If you look at my MDaps you will see my stats are below normal so my EC's are what solidified my acceptance and other interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for EC, can I put down that I am part of a club that plays DDR, I love that game and dancing and stuff of that sort, and working out, does that also fit under there?

You will see on the forums all that time just do the EC's which you have a genuine interest in and can make a positive contribution in. Whether its being a member of a student club, playing sports, volunteering at a hospital, animal shelter or as in my case with the RCMP, do what you like and have an interest in. Have a Merry Xmas by the way.

Clinical experience is the most important EC, IMO. Definitely, make it your number one priority.

Is research really needed that much? My pre-med advisor said that only those who want to do MD/PhDs need to do research.

Is research really needed that much? My pre-med advisor said that only those who want to do MD/PhDs need to do research.

No, research experience is not needed. However, it will enhance your application for some medical schools.

Only get involved in research if you enjoy it. Don't do it to just put in on your AMCAS application.

What about working as a Personal Trainer? Shows dedication to a healthy lifestyle and that you can work with people imo.

What about being THE dean of admissions? Hmm? Hmm?

Okay, good EC's:
-Volunteering/Research/Shadowing: the big 3 token ones

Do those and you should be fine. Of course long term committment helps. And as for being unique, taking a personal attribute and putting it into good use. Play guitar? Maybe play at a camp, or to the elderly, something something.

One thing about clinical experience:
If you're not getting some sort of reality check, it's probably not a great EC. For example, I volunteered for a semester at a small rural Emergency Department. I refilled the printers and got people blankets. I got very little out of it and honestly, if I had gone to med school after only that, I would have no idea what I had gotten myself into and probably would've been really upset in the long run.

If you can find clinical experience that allows to you to interact with a physician or closely with patients, that's the best kind of EC. If you're going to spend 4 years and at least $200k on something, might as well know what you're getting into. And I think when the adcoms give us 'all these hoops to jump though,' I think their intention is not to make us all miserable during undergrad but to educate us enough to make sure we're not miserable during med school and while we're working for the rest of our lives.

:luck:

Yes, you need clinical experience and research is helpful. But you absolutely need other ECs in activities that interest you (and ideally leadership). Think of it this way..a) how many applicants have clinical experience and research? How are you setting yourself apart? b) what are you going to talk about in your interview? As an interviewer I can tell you that if all the applicant's done is some clinical work and some research (or my favorite, some position in the pre-med society. That one's special =P), the interview is generally pretty boring and there's no way I'd rank that applicant highly compared to all of the more accomplished people I see regularly.

What do you enjoy doing and could see yourself doing "for fun" for the rest of your life? Whether it is musical, athletic, artistic, journalistic, altruistic or scientific, run with it.

If you are a joiner/leader (future president of the AMA or the American College of Surgeons, perhaps), get involved with a membership organization.

Even if you don't plan on doing it for the rest of your life, science learned in school will mean more, and the scientific advances you'll be reading about for the rest of your life will mean more if you're had some experience with research either at the bench or at a computer (modeling).

what's the difference between shadowing and clinical experience?

what's the difference between shadowing and clinical experience?

Clinical experience is simply time spent caring for patients. EMT's have clinical experience. Shadowing is when you follow a physician around to observe, ask questions, and learn about the career. Walking a mile in their shoes so to speak, except its probably more like a 1/16th of a mile in reality.

I don't know how I feel about your mindset of "completing" ECs. Perhaps your wording was unintentional, but hopefully you don't participate in EC activities just to complete them. I mean, sure you probably need to do the big 3 (research/shadowing/clinical vol.) but I hope you do it in a field you like. (Plus, I think it speaks more to your drive to have a underlying theme (e.g. interest in strokes) in your pre-medical ECs.)

However, I think it is ABSOLUTELY imperative to do something you love outside of strictly medically related ECs. There are so many medical-school clones out there to separate yourself from--remember that. If you need ideas, I joined a fraternity (greek-social, not pre med), ran 4 marathons, and participated in a musical-type dealie.

Good EC's:
1) Clinical Experience
2) Research Experience
3) Shadowing
4) Other

Do you guys agree?
Those are good ECs.. but here's a list of GREAT ECs.

1. part-time astronaut
2. crime fighter
3. Harlem Globetrotter