What do you guys do during your off days?

Started by RX Angler
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RX Angler

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ever since I’ve become a staff pharmacist in the hospital setting, I’ve become accustomed to working every other weekend. Therefore, having a day or two off in the middle of the week when the entire world is working was a complete shock to me. So, I had to find something to do with my free time or I would go crazy.

I started a YouTube fishing channel. It’s helped me deal with stresses at work and at home. It also allowed me to share my creative passion in film making as well as fishing with everyone else in the world.

Check out the video I posted a couple of weeks ago and help out another Pharmacist by liking and subscribing if you like my content.

Also, I would like to hear what you guys do on your time off. Are any of y’all creative, do volunteer work, or maybe just a busy parent? Let me know!

Thanks guys!

 
The random day off during the week is perfect for making doctors' appointments, dentist, haircuts, Go to the gym. Take an art class, dance class, or some other hobby. Also useful for doing laundry and other random chores around the house.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a pharmacist yet, but when I'm not working I am either in class, studying, or hanging out with some of my pre-pharm friends. I also volunteer at a local hospital and am a member of my school's pre-pharmacy club.

Right now I'm doing CVS' training so I'm not really working in the traditional sense. I do get paid for completing the courses though, which is nice.
 
Does sleeping till noon or later and then watching TV on my 65 inch OLED count as a hobby? Right now I'm watching Black Mirror, but a lot of those episodes are awful. San Junipero was my favorite, but the last one I watched "crocodile" was beyond stupid and unrealistic. I can see why people like USS Callister, but not my favorite. The mom one directed by Jodie Foster was also dumb. Anyone else watch it? favorites?
 
Does sleeping till noon or later and then watching TV on my 65 inch OLED count as a hobby? Right now I'm watching Black Mirror, but a lot of those episodes are awful. San Junipero was my favorite, but the last one I watched "crocodile" was beyond stupid and unrealistic. I can see why people like USS Callister, but not my favorite. The mom one directed by Jodie Foster was also dumb. Anyone else watch it? favorites?

Black mirror is totally hit or miss. My favorite is USS caliister, I also like black museum. The other episodes I don't care for.
 
I work 7 on 7 off so on my weeks off I have to fill in my free time. My schedule is usually the following

11am - wake up
noon - exercise the doggo
1pm - eat lunch
2pm - practice instrument
3pm - train dog tricks
4pm - watch Netflix, youtube, etc
5pm - practice instrument
6pm - exercise dog
7pm- eat dinner
8-midnight whatever the f*ck I want
1am - sleep
 
Ever since I’ve become a staff pharmacist in the hospital setting, I’ve become accustomed to working every other weekend. Therefore, having a day or two off in the middle of the week when the entire world is working was a complete shock to me. So, I had to find something to do with my free time or I would go crazy.

I started a YouTube fishing channel. It’s helped me deal with stresses at work and at home. It also allowed me to share my creative passion in film making as well as fishing with everyone else in the world.

Check out the video I posted a couple of weeks ago and help out another Pharmacist by liking and subscribing if you like my content.

Also, I would like to hear what you guys do on your time off. Are any of y’all creative, do volunteer work, or maybe just a busy parent? Let me know!

Thanks guys!



That's the spirit. This profession is a part but not all of your identity. When not in DC or facing a contract deadline, walleye is my passion. Except this weekend, where every "black bandit" (crow not human) shall face the wrath of my practicing shotgun technique for my real passion of fowling later this fall.

Reminds me that I have to take the goose identification test for WA by this weekend. Thanks OP.
 
Does sleeping till noon or later and then watching TV on my 65 inch OLED count as a hobby? Right now I'm watching Black Mirror, but a lot of those episodes are awful. San Junipero was my favorite, but the last one I watched "crocodile" was beyond stupid and unrealistic. I can see why people like USS Callister, but not my favorite. The mom one directed by Jodie Foster was also dumb. Anyone else watch it? favorites?

If you liked "San Junipero" you might like "Kill the DJ"
 
The random day off during the week is perfect for making doctors' appointments, dentist, haircuts, Go to the gym. Take an art class, dance class, or some other hobby. Also useful for doing laundry and other random chores around the house.

That’s being productive *thumbs up
 
That's the spirit. This profession is a part but not all of your identity. When not in DC or facing a contract deadline, walleye is my passion. Except this weekend, where every "black bandit" (crow not human) shall face the wrath of my practicing shotgun technique for my real passion of fowling later this fall.

Reminds me that I have to take the goose identification test for WA by this weekend. Thanks OP.

Thanks for the kind words! You should consider starting a YouTube channel showcasing what you like to do. I bet it would do well.
 
Any tips for catching flounder or other flat fish from the shore/docks using artificial lures? Most of my gear and technique was focused on freshwater fishing, and I'm not having much luck in the salt.

To answer the original question, I would also spend my free days fishing. I was living in Florida then, so you could always find some pond or canal that was full of fish. Peacock bass was my favorite. I would also head to the beach for sushi, beer, and relaxation.
 
I have a non-traditional work at home job reviewing prescriptions remotely, so that frees up any commuting time, and I also work 4 x 10 hr days which gives me 3 days/wk off. This opens up lots of opportunities to schedule my time more effectively, so I try to divide activities into 2 groups:

1. Passive low-attention activities. I try to do these while I am working at my computer, or on my breaks, or at least after my 10 hr work day when I'm too tired to do anything more demanding.
- Watching the stock market and executing trades (not that often; I don't day trade).
- Banking, bookkeeping, paying bills, dealing with businesses, getting quotes, etc. Plus I'm always at home if a tradesman needs to come to perform work.
- Listening to audio books, watching YouTube.
- Listening to music that I will later learn to play.
- CEs preferably webcasts with easy test questions.
- Planning/researching stuff like vacations, DIY projects, products and prices.
- Preparing meals/cooking that I can eat at my computer.
- Minor chores like washing and cleaning.

2. Active tasks. So with all the above tasks done on my work days, that frees up the 3 days off for more active hobbies.
- Mini vacations or road trips. Photography is one of my hobbies so I like traveling to scenic places.
- Meeting up with friends. For this and the mini vacations, I actually greatly prefer going on weekdays because places are so much less crowded.
- Cars are one of my hobbies and I do all the work on them and install stuff myself.
- Playing saxophone is another one of my hobbies.
- I ride my bicycle around my neighborhood everyday in lieu of a commute and of course I can take a shower when I 'arrive' back at home before work. Sometimes I go for longer rides to the beach or something and the advantage of being in Florida is that it's flat with no hills to climb.
- I even pick up per diem work just for fun, even though the pay is pretty crappy ($45/hr), just for the experience and to socialize.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ooh, I forgot vacations.
We try to take at least one vacation per quarter, not counting our day-trips down to San Antonio.
We've spent a fair amount of time in New York
 
7 on 7 off, except I don't work 7 on, I work 5

On the random days off I hit up the gym, clean the house, organize/buy/sell kids clothes, exercise the dog, shop, click things off my to do list. Meal plan, make cold brew for the week, etc
On the 7 days off I do the above or go out of town/camp if the kids/hubs schedule allows
When marathon training I spend 3-5 hours doing long runs which takes up a lot of time.
I too, pick up extra shifts, usually 1-2 per pay period, sometimes more.
 
Any tips for catching flounder or other flat fish from the shore/docks using artificial lures? Most of my gear and technique was focused on freshwater fishing, and I'm not having much luck in the salt.

To answer the original question, I would also spend my free days fishing. I was living in Florida then, so you could always find some pond or canal that was full of fish. Peacock bass was my favorite. I would also head to the beach for sushi, beer, and relaxation.

I like to use a tandem rigged leader and gulp swimming mullet. Bounce the rig off the floor. When you feel the hit, don’t set the hook. Count to 45 seconds then set the hook. That gives them the chance to eat the bait and hook.
 
Mostly being a gym rat (2-3 hours exercise per day both cardio and weight lifting); into bodybuilding (no plans on competing though), watching powerlifting and strongman events.
Reading articles (PL, medscape, examine), reading about bull**** supplements, doing CEs, cooking, sketching/creative writing, and errand runnings (boring ><).

Possibly getting back into Spanish (fluency) and possibly getting into guns/hunting (seems cool, practical, alluring, very "Mare-can", etc.)
 
Last edited:
Mostly being a gym rat (2-3 hours exercise per day both cardio and weight lifting); into bodybuilding (no plans on competing though), watching powerlifting and strongman events.
Reading articles (PL, medscape, examine), reading about bull**** supplements, doing CEs, cooking, sketching/creative writing, and errand runnings (boring ><).

Possibly getting back into Spanish (fluency) and possibly getting into guns/hunting (seems cool, practical, alluring, very "Mare-can", etc.)

That’s solid.
 
I have a non-traditional work at home job reviewing prescriptions remotely, so that frees up any commuting time, and I also work 4 x 10 hr days which gives me 3 days/wk off. This opens up lots of opportunities to schedule my time more effectively, so I try to divide activities into 2 groups:

1. Passive low-attention activities. I try to do these while I am working at my computer, or on my breaks, or at least after my 10 hr work day when I'm too tired to do anything more demanding.
- Watching the stock market and executing trades (not that often; I don't day trade).
- Banking, bookkeeping, paying bills, dealing with businesses, getting quotes, etc. Plus I'm always at home if a tradesman needs to come to perform work.
- Listening to audio books, watching YouTube.
- Listening to music that I will later learn to play.
- CEs preferably webcasts with easy test questions.
- Planning/researching stuff like vacations, DIY projects, products and prices.
- Preparing meals/cooking that I can eat at my computer.
- Minor chores like washing and cleaning.

2. Active tasks. So with all the above tasks done on my work days, that frees up the 3 days off for more active hobbies.
- Mini vacations or road trips. Photography is one of my hobbies so I like traveling to scenic places.
- Meeting up with friends. For this and the mini vacations, I actually greatly prefer going on weekdays because places are so much less crowded.
- Cars are one of my hobbies and I do all the work on them and install stuff myself.
- Playing saxophone is another one of my hobbies.
- I ride my bicycle around my neighborhood everyday in lieu of a commute and of course I can take a shower when I 'arrive' back at home before work. Sometimes I go for longer rides to the beach or something and the advantage of being in Florida is that it's flat with no hills to climb.
- I even pick up per diem work just for fun, even though the pay is pretty crappy ($45/hr), just for the experience and to socialize.

Wow! That’s quite a list! If you watch YouTube then hit my channel up. Thanks!
 
On my days off from staffing at my primary hospital pharmacy job I would go work at another pharmacy job, part-time of course.
 
Surf, Golf, Disc Golf, take care of the lawn, lots of video games.. I cherish my off days now, especially since I have off every Monday and Thursday.