What do you guys eat/drink while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainuzair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually get a red bull, coffee, chocolate or skittles before starting my day to study... what about you guys?...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Kashi granola bars, coffee-shop pastries, and tea (usually black, sometimes green or oolong)

This should be fun.

10 AM

10:30 AM

12:00

1 PM, 3PM, 5 PM

3 PM, I go to 1 of 3 restaurants around my house and pick up either Chicken Fried Rice, Roast Beef Sandwich, or a Chicken Sandwich.

8 PM, 6 oz Salmon with 3 cups of decaf tea

9 PM - Mixed snacks (either Cashews, Pistachious, Almonds, or Peanuts)"

30 min before bed, I have a Protein Shake.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible for me to pin down what I eat day to day due to my highly-variable diet, but I typically drink coffee, water, milk, and the occasional fruit juice.

For snacks, I eat I rice cakes and fruit. Yogurt is a good idea too.

This should be fun.

10 AM

10:30 AM

12:00

1 PM, 3PM, 5 PM

3 PM, I go to 1 of 3 restaurants around my house and pick up either Chicken Fried Rice, Roast Beef Sandwich, or a Chicken Sandwich.

8 PM, 6 oz Salmon with 3 cups of decaf tea

9 PM - Mixed snacks (either Cashews, Pistachious, Almonds, or Peanuts)"

30 min before bed, I have a Protein Shake.

nice. thats a lot of things lol

My typical and preferred morning starter, especially for MCAT studying, is a banana, a bagel, and black coffee with just a little sugar.

Coffee (half decaf, half caff) and a chocolate croissant, if I can get one. Otherwise a cookie and/or banana.

Edited for yogurt. +1 to yogurt, greek, Chobani, etc

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you guys but I love a few shots of grey goose before doing a practice section

Either cup after cup of English breakfast or, my HS all-nighter fav: Buffalo doritos and coke.

If it's not late-night, just Goldfish or a coconut almond Odwalla bar.

Copious amounts of water. Seriously, best thing!

Either coffee or red bull if I need the energy boost.

Typically have a protein meal bar or some almonds handy.

Breakfasts are always hot (eggs, oatmeal, etc.) Lunch is always a sandwich (tuna or turkey on 9-grain bread). Dinner is my time with friends and ranges from sushi (my fave) to pizza and beer. One of my good friends enjoys mixing drinks and always supplies the alcohol. Lol.

I don't know about you guys but I love a few shots of grey goose before doing a practice section

i tend to avoid drinking before studying, but it happens. i took aamc3 after a couple beers at happy hour last March, just to see what it was like.

A quick (true) story.

I was in freshman chemistry lab at the time, and was a very lazy student. Besides that, my lab instructor was a real tight-ass when it came to grading pre-labs. These pre-labs would consist of the calculations and the logic of the upcoming lab. Most of the time, I would bust my ass (what I thought was busting ass, then) to only get a 65 or 70%.

It was a buddies birthday, and halloween the night before my lab. I bellowed a hearty "F it" and went out for some drinks. I have never been a heavy drinker.

I woke up with glassy eyes at 11:45 am the next morning, just in time to panic about my noon lab. "Holy ****, I didn't do my pre-lab". I rush to my desk, to find it complete.

97%. I have no recollection of even reading about specific heat prior to that. This has always been a funny story for me, and I still don't know how I got all that math done being exceedingly drunk. I lived alone at the time.

A quick (true) story.

I was in freshman chemistry lab at the time, and was a very lazy student. Besides that, my lab instructor was a real tight-ass when it came to grading pre-labs. These pre-labs would consist of the calculations and the logic of the upcoming lab. Most of the time, I would bust my ass (what I thought was busting ass, then) to only get a 65 or 70%.

It was a buddies birthday, and halloween the night before my lab. I bellowed a hearty "F it" and went out for some drinks. I have never been a heavy drinker.

I woke up with glassy eyes at 11:45 am the next morning, just in time to panic about my noon lab. "Holy ****, I didn't do my pre-lab". I rush to my desk, to find it complete.

97%. I have no recollection of even reading about specific heat prior to that. This has always been a funny story for me, and I still don't know how I got all that math done being exceedingly drunk. I lived alone at the time.

:thumbup::thumbup: :laugh:

My go-to snack (please don't judge) is carrots with peanut butter. The combination tastes better than it sounds, plus it keeps you full for hours.

My go-to snack (please don't judge) is carrots with peanut butter. The combination tastes better than it sounds, plus it keeps you full for hours.

Replace PB w/ hummus and I'm in! I just...don't like peanut butter (or any nuts, really). It's OK in a PB&J or a Reeses where you jam in a bunch of sugar to balance, but w/o that I can't fathom eating it for enjoyment.

I'm not a picky eater, generally, but the few things I dislike are unfortunately widespread favorites/nonobjectionables: coffee, peanut butter, ketchup, vanilla, and hotdogs!
Fortunately, my food dislikes tend towards "I'd rather not eat that given a choice" rather than "I won't eat that, ewwww!!"

i tend to avoid drinking before studying, but it happens. i took aamc3 after a couple beers at happy hour last March, just to see what it was like.

Hahaha I was just kidding. But come to think of it, studying/practicing with alcohol in your blood can be quite useful for calming yourself / reducing errors due to anxiety

Hahaha I was just kidding. But come to think of it, studying/practicing with alcohol in your blood can be quite useful for calming yourself / reducing errors due to anxiety

1) Currently snacking on sunflower seeds.

2) I have a rather important spanish exam tomorrow, and am going to go grab a beer for enjoyment over my next hour of study.

I had no idea there was such a thing as buffalo doritos. hmm

Look for the light blue bag...I think it's called "Blazin' Buffalo Ranch" or something, but there's no ranch, I swear. Just buffalo. Best doritos out there!

(these are the perks of living next to a 24/7 convenience store during HS...you get to know the best all-nighter foods!)

A quick (true) story.

Duuuuuddddddeeeee :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I had no idea there was such a thing as an all-nighter in highchool. :laugh:

I come from a long line of true procrastinators...I once had 3 in one week back in HS. Of course, that year I was taking 5 APs, playing in 2 orchestras, working in a graduate lab, and playing on the varsity soccer team. Funny thing is, I wasn't even gunning for anything; I just truly enjoyed all of my classes and activities!

I try not to eat while I'm studying because it becomes mindless snacking..so I stick with liquids, like coffee, water or juice.

I try not to eat while I'm studying because it becomes mindless snacking..so I stick with liquids, like coffee, water or juice.

I tend to feel gross if I drink liquids w/o any food. Soup is unnatural, I tell you! Now, soup+bread= heaven!

A cappuccino to start the morning, waterwaterwaterwater, a post lunch cappuccino, waterwaterwaterwater.

The brain is, what, 70% water? Drink dat.

Guys I cannot recommend Chobani yogurt enough.

14g of protein
19 grams of sugar
0 fat
75mg of sodium
21g of carbs
140 calories.

Tastes great, fills you up!

Get the greek yoghurt without the added sugar, and then throw in some of your own blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries. It's wonderful.

Bacon. I cook a ton on the weekend (3 pounds) and have them as snacks throughout the week. I'm on a ketogenic diet.

I usually get a red bull, coffee, chocolate or skittles before starting my day to study... what about you guys?...

In the morning? Raw 2% milk.

When I was studying and reading? Tea. Earl Grey.

After studying? Beer. Lots of beer.

If you're using something different, you're doing it wrong.

In the morning? Raw 2% milk.

When I was studying and reading? Tea. Earl Grey.

After studying? Beer. Lots of beer.

If you're using something different, you're doing it wrong.

Blegh raw milk.
Actually, the concept of drinking milk in the morning, period, is anathema to me. Mornings and liquids don't mix. Hell, mornings and food don't mix but especially liquid, and even more especially one like milk :scared:

I usually study in public places -- mostly cafes. I kind of rotate throughout the day so I don't stay in one place too long. So I drink a lot of coffee. When I stay at home to study, I usually drink even more coffee because it isn't as expensive. Sometimes I drink some water.

I also order a lot of Indian food, cause it's right next to a coffee shop I frequent.

russian_river_pliny_the_elder.jpg

Look for the light blue bag...I think it's called "Blazin' Buffalo Ranch" or something, but there's no ranch, I swear. Just buffalo. Best doritos out there!

(these are the perks of living next to a 24/7 convenience store during HS...you get to know the best all-nighter foods!)

I went to my grocery store today and they dont sell it :mad: I'll keep a mental note to try it if I ever see it though :thumbup: