What do you guys spend your money on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dollar menu is nothing, Checkers/Rally's has 4 items for 3 dollars. Not a typo. You can't afford not to kill yourself with prices like that!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dollar menu is nothing, Checkers/Rally's has 4 items for 3 dollars. Not a typo. You can't afford not to kill yourself with prices like that!
Wow can't beat that deal. Let me drive 200 miles to the nearest checkers and take advantage of that bargain.

Just for fun or recreationally to enjoy yourself? With all the doom and gloom about your profession, i was wondering if i could see the other half of you. I've spoken to pharmacists who complain they're always broke and need more money, but then you see they eat out every day, get starbucks everyday, drive a mercedes, one or two trips a year and stuff. Clearly, it takes huge student loans and a lot of irresponsibility to be broke all the time as a pharmacist.

Or kids, kids might do it

Are you a car person? clothes person? traveler? etc.

Thanks!

Many of the pharmacists I know are surprisingly responsible with money. I think it depends on what city/area of the country you're working in. Some places are more materialistic than others. That being said, a pharmacist's income really is not that high. Average right now is around $120K. Take one-third away for taxes, and you're left with $80K. Sounds like a lot, but take some away for retirement investing. Maybe $65K-70K left. It is easy to spend $40-50K/year on living expenses without being a big spender. Especially with children. Now you've only got like $15K-30K of "extra money." If you screw up by getting a mortgage that is too big +/- a car that is too expensive (or too expensive to maintain) +/- private school for your kid(s)... it's really easy to eat up the $15K-30K on "status artifacts" like that. Suddenly, you're spending right up to (or over) what you make.

Doom and gloom is in every industry. Accountants are worried about the tax code being simplified and jobs going overseas. Coders are worried about their skills/knowledge base becoming obsolete and younger people coming in and doing the same job for less. Do you think nurses are in high demand? Me too. I think everyone agrees.... Everyone who's not a nurse! Go to Google real quick and type in "is there an oversupply of nurses." You will laugh at what you see. It is true that job security is an illusion, but even when things are really good in an industry/field - you'll always be able to find a hoard of worried people. That's why every pharmacy has some benzodiazepines on the "fast movers" shelf.

When there's a shortage, pharmacists are worried about being overworked/poor working conditions. Shortage = worried. Oversupply = worried.

I like to complain about my job sometimes, which I think is normal... but keep in mind that every industry is changing and uncertain about the future. Hate to say it, but vicissitude in the pharmacist job market is normal. Swings and fluctuations in every market are normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That being said, a pharmacist's income really is not that high. Average right now is around $120K.

Whenever I see someone say something like this, which is quite often, it makes me think they have never experienced true poverty.

120k/yr is three times the median income in my state. It's twice as high as the national median household income. I effectively have two mortgages thanks to my student loan payments and yet I still make enough to live a life of luxury and have savings beyond just my 401k.

I wouldn't consider myself wealthy by any means, but I went into this things with the understanding that I would have to pay my student loans and get taxed just like everyone else.

I'm reminded of what my family physician would say to my mother: "Everyone thinks I'm rich, but at the end of the month I'm just as broke as everyone else." I always thought that was funny. After paying for my big house, multiple luxury cars, vacations, dining out, and putting away for retirement.. I'm just as broke as everyone else!

Reactions: 5 users
Whenever I see someone say something like this, which is quite often, it makes me think they have never experienced true poverty.

120k/yr is three times the median income in my state. It's twice as high as the national median household income. I effectively have two mortgages thanks to my student loan payments and yet I still make enough to live a life of luxury and have savings beyond just my 401k.

I wouldn't consider myself wealthy by any means, but I went into this things with the understanding that I would have to pay my student loans and get taxed just like everyone else.

I'm reminded of what my family physician would say to my mother: "Everyone thinks I'm rich, but at the end of the month I'm just as broke as everyone else." I always thought that was funny. After paying for my big house, multiple luxury cars, vacations, dining out, and putting away for retirement.. I'm just as broke as everyone else!

doing rx as a career is easily 3x as hard as a median income kind of job i believe. probably harder,including more risk.
never experienced real poverty, but see it daily at my store

I'm not sure anyone in America understands "true poverty." Even our country's "poor" enjoy luxuries like cars, cell phones, and free healthcare. Just like many others, I have dispensed expensive (and possibly unnecessary) ADHD medications to Medicaid patients as they sit in their BMW talking on their iPhone in the drive-through. How much are they paying in taxes? Very little. They may even be receiving an earned income tax credit. Meanwhile, pharmacists lose about $40K off the top for taxes. As I'm sure you know, America has a progressive tax system. The higher your income, the greater percentage of your income goes to taxes. A lot of folks making $40K/year don't realize that those making $120K/year aren't actually taking home 3X as much money. I'm not suggesting $120K is "not enough." It's more than enough. What I meant was... many people assume that someone with an annual income of $120K is "rich." In reality, $120K will not propel someone to "wealth" unless they are frugal and live well below their means for about two decades (+/- a few years). I understand what you are saying about the primary care physician who thinks he is broke, but he does have a point... What the doc (or pharmacist for that matter) may not realize is that it's 100% his own fault. Many people have high incomes and don't have any money to show for it. If they buy a lot of status artifacts (e.g. big house, luxury cars), they won't have money... because they spent it. Granted, the house should appreciate over time, but the cars, the vacations, the restaurants... those are all sunk costs. Like flushing money down the toilet. If you make a lot of money, but flush it all down the toilet... yeah, you'll be broke.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for fun or recreationally to enjoy yourself? With all the doom and gloom about your profession, i was wondering if i could see the other half of you. I've spoken to pharmacists who complain they're always broke and need more money, but then you see they eat out every day, get starbucks everyday, drive a mercedes, one or two trips a year and stuff. Clearly, it takes huge student loans and a lot of irresponsibility to be broke all the time as a pharmacist.

Thanks!

I try to consume as many Michelin stars as possible

Reactions: 4 users
I have made low income, but I have not been poor through conscious planning and definitely never in poverty. For a glimpse into true poverty in AZ, you need only look outside your pharmacy drive-thru window into the fields harvested by the non-persons out there who are replaced by animals as they get more expensive. True poverty is waking up at 0400 in the morning and going to Hickman Farms to clean chicken battery cages at 0.25 cents a cage, then going to work at McDonald's for minimum wage and no benefits as a line cook, and living in a place where you don't have air conditioning and the temperature is 95-105F, and then having to prioritize eating or paying the rent on first notice. Poverty as opposed to being poor is not want, it is need. Poverty is in spite of all your efforts, you cannot effectively meet your needs and will die in the proximate future from it.

And I echo the comments about median wage. It's about choosing our wants, so we are definitely not poor (to not be able to choose any want is poor). And we don't even consciously think about what we need, which is poverty.

Those are states that exist irrespective of income level above a specific minimum. I have never been in poverty ever, and I do not believe I have ever felt poor even though I made less than the FPL and had to live on it during undergrad. The guys and gals who were dependent on the very polite gentlemen or drugs were in poor and later in poverty irrespective of their high six-digit incomes, because what they made never was enough for their need for their habits. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Reactions: 2 users
I try to consume as many Michelin stars as possible

Ditto.

I spend my money on food, booze, and travel.

Only regret of the past year was not buying Noma Mexico tickets when I got through on the website, but was starTing a new job and didn’t think I could get the time off.

Yesterday was the 1-year anniversary of our dinner at Noma. Would do annually if I could.

A lot of folks making $40K/year don't realize that those making $120K/year aren't actually taking home 3X as much money. I'm not suggesting $120K is "not enough." It's more than enough. What I meant was... many people assume that someone with an annual income of $120K is "rich." In reality, $120K will not propel someone to "wealth" unless they are frugal and live well below their means for about two decades (+/- a few years).

Boom!

This is true.

A single mom making $30k/year with kids may qualify for Medicaid, EITC, 0% income taxes, child care subsides (or maybe even have family take care of the children), maybe small amount of food stamps. That's equal to $40k in net income.

The pharmacist making $120k/year with kids qualifies for none of that, puts kids in fancy daycare, or preschool, or private elementary, etc., and after taxes and retirement is left with $70k or so. Not even double what the single mom makes/benefits. And if that pharmacist is single, well, maybe no children expenses but taxes take a bigger hit, maybe now at 50% net income after retirement.

But wait, there's more.

That single mom is content with a modest apartment and an older car.

That pharmacist lives in a McMansion or fancy urban apartment with a brand new car. Spends 300% more than that single mom yet only nets 75% more than her. And while, of course "better off", not nearly as much as one would think. Because they spent it all. Because they "deserve it".

Boom!

This is true.

A single mom making $30k/year with kids may qualify for Medicaid, EITC, 0% income taxes, child care subsides (or maybe even have family take care of the children), maybe small amount of food stamps. That's equal to $40k in net income.

The pharmacist making $120k/year with kids qualifies for none of that, puts kids in fancy daycare, or preschool, or private elementary, etc., and after taxes and retirement is left with $70k or so. Not even double what the single mom makes/benefits. And if that pharmacist is single, well, maybe no children expenses but taxes take a bigger hit, maybe now at 50% net income after retirement.

But wait, there's more.

That single mom is content with a modest apartment and an older car.

That pharmacist lives in a McMansion or fancy urban apartment with a brand new car. Spends 300% more than that single mom yet only nets 75% more than her. And while, of course "better off", not nearly as much as one would think. Because they spent it all. Because they "deserve it".
I don't donate, give to the "poor" or any of the other crap because of this reason. America is a handout to these people. Although so far my 2 years as a pharmacists i've made over well 200k each year, the amount of taxes paid are absurd. 120k is NOTHING, considering pharmacist have loans and most poor people don't have student loans. Thats why you see more "poor" people take vacations and at sporting events. I give enough of my money to the government (have paid over 70k in taxes so far this year) and we are not even in OCT yet. I don't give a dime to anyone or any organization.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't donate, give to the "poor" or any of the other crap because of this reason. America is a handout to these people. Although so far my 2 years as a pharmacists i've made over well 200k each year, the amount of taxes paid are absurd. 120k is NOTHING, considering pharmacist have loans and most poor people don't have student loans. Thats why you see more "poor" people take vacations and at sporting events. I give enough of my money to the government (have paid over 70k in taxes so far this year) and we are not even in OCT yet. I don't give a dime to anyone or any organization.

But, you know what eventually happens to them. "Winter is coming?" Right now, life insurance companies are looking at a bimodal (two peaks) death rate. The "poor" live high and fast now, because there is no future for them and disproportionately die under 65 without touching SS. You on the other hand are probably on the second peak where you'll get 20 years more than they will. Is it such a bad proposition given that? It's kind of like high school scaled up. If you are at a normal sized one (between 150 and 800 in a class), you've already left the vast majority of them behind. Why look back? Why raise a hand to help them, you know why they got into that situation (and to the people who say that is fate, there's series of decisions that avoid the worst of it due to the way welfare is structured). I'm comfortable with welfare paying more than it "should" because it doesn't miss those who really deserve and need it. The most I can do for welfare is to pay my taxes as the government (mis)handles it to my conscience.

For my part, I'm committed to dying at 60. I've worked hospice long enough to know that rich or poor, death is the great equalizer, and morbidity is the great humiliator, so no to that for me. I have no intention of being old, so while I do keep exercising and such for morbidity concerns, I'm not going to say no to that claret.

I do give five digits before the decimal point to the local community college district annually (and I specifically will take night work to ensure that gets donated every year). I was a major beneficiary of the system to get credits before HS graduation, and I look at it as returning the investment favor to deserving young ambition. Yeah, it's tax-deductible, but that's not the point. I want society to turn out more of those people, so I'm willing to "give"/invest. But, it's my choice, as is your money with yours.

Reactions: 5 users
But, you know what eventually happens to them. "Winter is coming?" Right now, life insurance companies are looking at a bimodal (two peaks) death rate. The "poor" live high and fast now, because there is no future for them and disproportionately die under 65 without touching SS. You on the other hand are probably on the second peak where you'll get 20 years more than they will. Is it such a bad proposition given that? It's kind of like high school scaled up. If you are at a normal sized one (between 150 and 800 in a class), you've already left the vast majority of them behind. Why look back? Why raise a hand to help them, you know why they got into that situation (and to the people who say that is fate, there's series of decisions that avoid the worst of it due to the way welfare is structured). I'm comfortable with welfare paying more than it "should" because it doesn't miss those who really deserve and need it. The most I can do for welfare is to pay my taxes as the government (mis)handles it to my conscience.

For my part, I'm committed to dying at 60. I've worked hospice long enough to know that rich or poor, death is the great equalizer, and morbidity is the great humiliator, so no to that for me. I have no intention of being old, so while I do keep exercising and such for morbidity concerns, I'm not going to say no to that claret.

I do give five digits before the decimal point to the local community college district annually (and I specifically will take night work to ensure that gets donated every year). I was a major beneficiary of the system to get credits before HS graduation, and I look at it as returning the investment favor to deserving young ambition. Yeah, it's tax-deductible, but that's not the point. I want society to turn out more of those people, so I'm willing to "give"/invest. But, it's my choice, as is your money with yours.
I commend you, I really do. That is good stuff but my inner self won't allow me to do that lol the second my mind goes into donating, lane 1, 1 pharmacy call, patient complaint line 3, dr office sent a drug with no directions start popping in my head! We earn our paychecks. Theres no freebies in the pharmacy. Welfare is not earned. It's given. My taxes go enough into that where I don't feel sorry for anyone's situation. A lot of people sob on the single mom 4 kids, 2 job stories. I don't. Thats a you problem. You did that to yourself and the government gives them handouts for there issues.

As far as donating to the local school again I commend you. Big thing for you to do but I wouldn't be able to do that. I put my self through school and am now paying my student loans off at a 2.5-3 year rate. My parents have called me that they can write a check to pay it off but I don't roll like that. That satisfaction of paying that sucker off all the way till the end by myself is what i'm looking forward to.

Maybe I need to lighten up? Who knows but I live a very John Harbough grind it out kinda life lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

I plan on spending most of my money on trying to find my future wife. That's the main reason I am in pharmacy to increase my social status and increase my income to try to attract a female to be my wife. I do eat out a lot but luckily i also live in my car so not having rent balances it out. Also i'm saving up so that I can get a surrogate women in India to have my child using an external egg. Unfortunately this is very expensive but it's a good back up plan in case i'm unable to find my future wife, so i can still have children. I also donate a large percent of the money i have to NPR and Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Many of the pharmacists I know are surprisingly responsible with money. I think it depends on what city/area of the country you're working in. Some places are more materialistic than others. That being said, a pharmacist's income really is not that high. Average right now is around $120K. Take one-third away for taxes, and you're left with $80K. Sounds like a lot, but take some away for retirement investing. Maybe $65K-70K left. It is easy to spend $40-50K/year on living expenses without being a big spender. Especially with children. Now you've only got like $15K-30K of "extra money." If you screw up by getting a mortgage that is too big +/- a car that is too expensive (or too expensive to maintain) +/- private school for your kid(s)... it's really easy to eat up the $15K-30K on "status artifacts" like that. Suddenly, you're spending right up to (or over) what you make.

Doom and gloom is in every industry. Accountants are worried about the tax code being simplified and jobs going overseas. Coders are worried about their skills/knowledge base becoming obsolete and younger people coming in and doing the same job for less. Do you think nurses are in high demand? Me too. I think everyone agrees.... Everyone who's not a nurse! Go to Google real quick and type in "is there an oversupply of nurses." You will laugh at what you see. It is true that job security is an illusion, but even when things are really good in an industry/field - you'll always be able to find a hoard of worried people. That's why every pharmacy has some benzodiazepines on the "fast movers" shelf.

When there's a shortage, pharmacists are worried about being overworked/poor working conditions. Shortage = worried. Oversupply = worried.

I like to complain about my job sometimes, which I think is normal... but keep in mind that every industry is changing and uncertain about the future. Hate to say it, but vicissitude in the pharmacist job market is normal. Swings and fluctuations in every market are normal.

I mean even if all pharmacys laid off 90% of the pharmacist most of us could live with parents or family. Unfortunately my parents are dead and I had some previous issues with mental illness so I was homeless for about 5 years but even then I had a car to live in and lived in a city so there were always soup kitchens and you would be amazed how many to-go boxes people throw out in trashcans near restaurants. Perfectly good, restaurant grade food for free! I would also sometimes panhandle for money but this doesn't make that much. If you become friends with the workers at fast food eateries sometimes they will give you free food at the end of the night.

Hopefully after I get my degree I will never be homeless again but who knows if my car breaks down and i'm out of work. The main thing is to live in a city so if your homeless you can still get food. I can't imagine if i was homeless in the middle of a rural area. I probably would have starved to death unless I was able to buy a gun to kill and eat deer.

Very quick to judge. I wonder though, if you would walk in the "single moms" shoes for one day. Unable to work due to having to watch/raise three children and being blind in one eye due to her step dad beating her to near death. The father of her children is in prison for addiction to prescription meds you so eagerly dispensed to meet the CVS district managers quota. A lot of life has to do with the environment one grew up with. To live in a mcmansion is patently sinful, unnecessary and grossly exorbitant.

Even consider the welfare you were GRANTED in the form of a loan. Going with your line of thought why should poor people (before earning pharmacist money) like you be allowed to get an easy loan? That is a huge opportunity even with having to pay it back. Just the chance to get a loan in the first place. You were once on government welfare AKA a student loan and now that you have made it out of the financial ghetto you quickly turn your back on the peers you once had. Very hateful and immature.

Very quick to judge. I wonder though, if you would walk in the "single moms" shoes for one day. Unable to work due to having to watch/raise three children and being blind in one eye due to her step dad beating her to near death. The father of her children is in prison for addiction to prescription meds you so eagerly dispensed to meet the CVS district managers quota. A lot of life has to do with the environment one grew up with. To live in a mcmansion is patently sinful, unnecessary and grossly exorbitant.

Even consider the welfare you were GRANTED in the form of a loan. Going with your line of thought why should poor people (before earning pharmacist money) like you be allowed to get an easy loan? That is a huge opportunity even with having to pay it back. Just the chance to get a loan in the first place. You were once on government welfare AKA a student loan and now that you have made it out of the financial ghetto you quickly turn your back on the peers you once had. Very hateful and immature.
Nope, i'm not a single dad nor made the decision to make well stupid decisions. Thats a you problem if you're a single mother with a dead beat partner.

Why would I donate to charity when the government puts a gun to my head every year and demands their own charity? You guys want a nanny state, you got it.

Reactions: 3 users
Not going to lie GrapePropel is the most annoying troll I have seen in years.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would I donate to charity when the government puts a gun to my head every year and demands their own charity? You guys want a nanny state, you got it.
>complains about nanny state
>is in a huge nanny gravy train job
what am i even reading?

you are literally and unironically in the biggest "nanny" profession there is. The position of pharmacist would not even exist if not for severe and burdensome oversight by the big nanny government to create a artificial, unnecessarily and government required red tape job. You think the free market would support a position of an overpaid pharmacist? Heck no. You work in one of the biggest nanny positions out of anyone in the US. Pharmacists would be getting paid 15 dollars an hour if it weren't for the fake monopoly the government set up for us. A position, I would like to add, that you were only able to get after using your NANNY student loans because you were too poor or lazy to earn money yourself to pay for your own school.

if you don't want a nanny state you should quit pharmacy and become a construction worker or become a computer programmer or do a job that actually creates real tangible value.

Last edited:
what am i even reading?

you are literally and unironically in the biggest "nanny" profession there is. The position of pharmacist would not even exist if not for severe and burdensome oversight by the big nanny government to create a artificial, unnecessarily and government required red tape job. You think the free market would support a position of an overpaid pharmacist? Heck no. You work in one of the biggest nanny positions out of anyone in the US. Pharmacists would be getting paid 15 dollars an hour if it weren't for the fake monopoly the government set up for us. A position, I would like to add, that you were only able to get after using your NANNY student loans because you were too poor or lazy to earn money yourself to pay for your own school.

if you don't want a nanny state you should quit pharmacy and become a construction worker or become a computer programmer or do a job that actually creates real tangible value.

You could technically say this for most jobs.

what am i even reading?

How SHC is banned and this guy still roams the board is nothing short of a Christmas miracle

How SHC is banned and this guy still roams the board is nothing short of a Christmas miracle
Lose an argument after I point out his massive hypocritical statement. Crys to mods for them to be banned. Wow. Not so tough anymore, huh buddy?

Last edited:
Lose an argument after I point out his massive hypocritical statement. Crys to mods for them to be banned. Wow. Not so tough anymore, huh buddy?

In all of your rambling you didn't point out any hypocrisy or win any argument. I saw that you PMed me with the title "Typical Republican" in an attempt to harass me. Reported and blocked. Thanks for playing.

In all of your rambling you didn't point out any hypocrisy or win any argument. I saw that you PMed me with the title "Typical Republican" in an attempt to harass me. Reported and blocked. Thanks for playing.
Grape seems like an angry little fella, maybe a nap is in order...

Grape Propel, I literally cannot tell if you are trolling or legitimately have something wrong with you (liberalism apparently :D). But, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and not block you just yet... solely because your posts are far too entertaining since they are ludicrous. Are you actually a pharmacist?

Are you aware that filing a false report is grounds for actually being banned?

Grape Propel, I literally cannot tell if you are trolling or legitimately have something wrong with you (liberalism apparently :D). But, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and not block you just yet... solely because your posts are far too entertaining since they are ludicrous. Are you actually a pharmacist?
I'm a P4. Currently on APPE rotations. So no, not yet. Just a student :) I have had serious mental health issues in the past but since 2015 I have had pretty good mental health.

hell, I am a liberal and he called me out for making a political comment - so I am pretty sure he is just a douche

and is "nanny state" post up there is about as far from liberalism as I have seen in a while.

Hmm both grape and PatoPharm have now admitted to mental issues.

Now we have two posters that essentially kill every thread they post in.

Can we not make a poll to give them the boot from the forum, Survivor style?

@owlegrad

Travel 1-2 flights per month
GOLf lessons - $300 per session and the cost of travel to Socal
Golf
Food
Lululemon

Been working for 11 months since getting licensed after graduating last year... 20k debt from car purchase paid off, 45k saved so far for future home purchase, paying $550/month for rent, only $1500 payed towards loans so far (interest only)... Eat out at restaurants every 2 weeks, MCD every other day lol, and I go out to watch movies 4x/month with my Moviepass subscription. Nothing rly to see here, but life feels good so far.

Last edited:
What was it that finally got him banned?

Being a troll. I would have gotten to it sooner but you know, life. Actually it was being reported that got him banned, one of my fellow mods took care of it before I had the chance.

The tax bracket at 120 is how much

-not having kids
-5% to 401k + 5% match starts in jan
-no state income tax
-i do spend some money on experiences and toys, because life is short.

what am i even reading?

Fake news

I forgot to mention I carry a gun that cost $1,600 in a $130 holster, on a $100 belt.
Lol