What do you guys think? (Texas applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkey-business

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just graduated this past year with a degree in English from an Ivy with a 3.36 cGPA. I took some courses in neuroscience, general chemistry and orgo during undergrad and have a 3.31 sGPA. I did neuroscience research during three summers since I was double majoring in cognitive science through HHMI fellowships and did lots of health-related volunteering, including being a mental health educator at a local free clinic. I also was the health beat reporter for my campus newspaper, wrote creative writing pieces for multiple publications, acted in short films and theater performances and participated in social justice campaigns. My only problem is that I voluntarily withdrew from college during a semester (and by policy for a year) due to personal reasons (I was sexually abused before the semester started). I returned to school and successfully finished my courses a semester earlier though and of course obtained sufficient clarity, counseling and alone time to reflect on my life and goals. I don't plan on pursuing medical school just yet since at the very least I need to complete the premed requirements (which I will through a Harvard Ext postbac) and want to do more social justice stuff (I am an active volunteer and currently interviewing for an addictions nonprofit job-wish me luck!). In any case, the connection between medicine and social justice only becomes more visible as I learn more about public health and as I pursue more volunteer activities (like Big Sis, tutoring). Even those that might not be related, like teaching ESL-language learners, are resonating with the disparities in healthcare access and the importance of health in the success of minority, immigrant and low-income communities, the ones that by personal experience I identify with. But I want a realistic view of my chances due to my rocky academic path. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Texas is a good state for residency when applying to medical schools. There are 2 new state schools opening in the next year. Concentrate on doing well on your premed science courses to raise your GPA and aim for at least 508 on the MCAT. You would be fine for DO schools if you score at least 500 and Texas will have 2 DO schools by 2017.