What do you invest in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaSex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious on to how us hard-working pharmacists invest our money outside of our retirement accounts.

Do you invest in real-estate? Have a side-businesses? Are you a successful gambler?

I've done some real-estate investing myself and made about 20K after taxes. So far only one project....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few things I invest in but recently I started investing in “the lending club” and it’s been great.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your returns so far?

I put in 3000 dollars 14 months ago and it’s at 3280 right now so that’s somewhere around 8% in 1 year. I’m about to put 3000 more in the account

I just wanted to try something different. It’s actually kinda fun investing through them

I have a few things I invest in but recently I started investing in “the lending club” and it’s been great.
Tax, no thanks :-/

Will be 5% after tax. 35% cut to Trump every single year.

Non secured loan, subject to default, recession risk.

MMM has a post about it every once in a while.

No way would I invest in LendingTree. Way too risky.

I was a pretty successful amateur poker player back in the day, but I put it on the back burner while in pharmacy school and while paying off my loans (I play maybe 3-4x a year right now just to stay current). Once my loans are paid and I get more free cash flow, I'd like to go back to playing part time.

I'm 'investing' in travel and experiences right now. Playing the points game with credit cards.

Opened 6 cards (personal and business) in the last 6 months. Travelling next year with welcome bonus points.

Follow The Points Guy blog.

Big tax cut on paycheck.

So many bills to pay besides mortgage, student loan, etc..

Little bit savings- not worth of saving anything!!!

I was a pretty successful amateur poker player back in the day, but I put it on the back burner while in pharmacy school and while paying off my loans (I play maybe 3-4x a year right now just to stay current). Once my loans are paid and I get more free cash flow, I'd like to go back to playing part time.

How much did you make? I read that the average professional makes 10BB/hour, at $1/$2 NL that's only $20/hr. Seems pretty low to me, and you have to play tens of thousands of hands for an accurate win rate. I used to play back during the boom and usually won by playing tight aggressive, but the few times I've tried lately I always lost. One bad beat kills ya. Players seem to have gotten better over the years.

My investments have been very bad this year... I knew Amazon was too overpriced and bought it back before it crashed because it just kept going up and figured I could squeeze some out of it. Then I bought CVS at $70 (about $10k) and that tanked even tho it is extremely undervalued. At least I get dividend with that stock and I am confident it will go up over $100 again, just might be a few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why any pharmacist would invest in a company (CVS for example) when the overwhelming majority of our profession wishes they would burn to the ground?

Maybe job security in a weird reverse psychology kind of way.

But for my investments, mostly VTSAX, VOOG, small money in a weed stock here or there for fun, AMD, couple biotech penny stocks for fun, F for the dividend (bought in cheap <8.00).

You should be in cash right now. Recession is coming.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you're right, would love DCA to a lower buy. In the mean time, I think my 401k is at 10-11% gains this year?

Winter is coming.

It's bad to hope for a recession but i hope the housing market collapses. It's impossible to find affordable housing where I live and I make a pretty good salary.

How much did you make? I read that the average professional makes 10BB/hour, at $1/$2 NL that's only $20/hr. Seems pretty low to me, and you have to play tens of thousands of hands for an accurate win rate. I used to play back during the boom and usually won by playing tight aggressive, but the few times I've tried lately I always lost. One bad beat kills ya. Players seem to have gotten better over the years.

I played a lot of 1/3 with a win rate of around 15BB/hr and was up to 2/5 before pharmacy school at around 10BB/hr. It was good money but I'd never want it to be my primary source of income. My plan eventually is to average playing 5-10hrs a week of 2/5 just as a break from pharmacy and as an income supplement. And yes, players are definitely better, but at lower stakes still plenty of bad players.

Not wise to try to time the market.

Not suggesting that. If you arent close to retirement, your 401k should be in stocks, but this is just advice for saving any extra income that you might need soon. now is not the time to buy.

Don’t give the power hungry mods any ideas!!!

Those mods psh!

They’ve already made this forum a dictatorship when it should be a democracy!! ... [ random rant ] ...ammendment rights! ... [ random rant ] none of us want it but the mods!

On a side note: pulled out of USAAs cornerstone aggressive fund with 80% stocks and 20% bonds to now transitioning over to vanguards mutual fund while investing my land towards log cabin kits to be used as hunting lodges.

Shall see how it works upon graduating from school :cool:

Those mods psh!

They’ve already made this forum a dictatorship when it should be a democracy!! ... [ random rant ] ...ammendment rights! ... [ random rant ] none of us want it but the mods!

On a side note: pulled out of USAAs cornerstone aggressive fund with 80% stocks and 20% bonds to now transitioning over to vanguards mutual fund while investing my land towards log cabin kits to be used as hunting lodges.

Damn 1.1% ER...

Those mods psh!

20% bonds seems high, shouldn't we be 90-100% stocks at our age?

Those mods psh!

whats the idea with the hunting cabins. Does your land border public hunting acres?

20% bonds seems high, shouldn't we be 90-100% stocks at our age?

Correct.

I failed to mention my TSP (mimicks a 401k) is 100% stocks but I did keep my mutual fund at an 80/20 split when I was starting my risk tolerance in my rentals to be (secondary emergency fund).

whats the idea with the hunting cabins. Does your land border public hunting acres?

The land is private hunting ground(s) in the Midwest. It does border public hunting woodland areas from the Ozarks as well as 50+ stocked lakes and reservoirs.

Correct.

I failed to mention my TSP (mimicks a 401k) is 100% stocks but I did keep my mutual fund at an 80/20 split when I was starting my risk tolerance in my rentals to be (secondary emergency fund).

The land is private hunting ground(s) in the Midwest. It does border public hunting woodland areas from the Ozarks as well as 50+ stocked lakes and reservoirs.
must be quite a bit of land if u r expecting multiple hunting parties to be using it simulataneously, no?

must be quite a bit of land if u r expecting multiple hunting parties to be using it simulataneously, no?

Not only that, but it’s location borders different states with different permit requirements. Still a long-term project with some risk. I know I can file deductions on my different property taxes as an itemized deduction on Schedule A, but in the meantime, the land is issued out with different family members being residents in different states. Long term planning over the next few years

Easy, they are undervalued right now, they are the most likely I think to survive the Amazon pharmacy thing, pay a dividend, and they have a steady stream of new pharmacists right out of school.

The Atnea purchase was a big deal. It gives them diversification. Plus the clinics.

I don't understand why any pharmacist would invest in a company (CVS for example) when the overwhelming majority of our profession wishes they would burn to the ground?

Maybe job security in a weird reverse psychology kind of way.

But for my investments, mostly VTSAX, VOOG, small money in a weed stock here or there for fun, AMD, couple biotech penny stocks for fun, F for the dividend (bought in cheap <8.00).

If you're a legit poker player, I've been considering backing a player's entry fee for WSOP.

If you were to enter their NLH tourney, would you try to just place in the money or go for the win?

If you're a legit poker player, I've been considering backing a player's entry fee for WSOP.

If you were to enter their NLH tourney, would you try to just place in the money or go for the win?

Huge difference between cash and tourney players. A legit player should be able to win a satellite tourney and get free entry. A lot of it is an all in fest though, have you seen the runner runner river hands? Makes me cringe just watching them.

target date retirement funds - simple, not the best- and a few fees, but it is a "set it and forget it" plan

Huge difference between cash and tourney players. A legit player should be able to win a satellite tourney and get free entry. A lot of it is an all in fest though, have you seen the runner runner river hands? Makes me cringe just watching them.

Oh yeah. I used to play in Vegas and anytime a break comes up, it's a shove fest.

I would say even if I was a great poker pro (which I'm not...I'd just say I am a really good amateur cash game player and a decent online tournament player), investing in someone for a big tournament with 1000+ entrants will almost always result in no payout. Even if you have a big overall skill edge, there is so much more luck involved in a single large tournament compared to long term cash game play that it is almost like playing the lotto. You really have to play a large volume of smaller tournaments (relative to your bankroll) to be a winning player overall.

Any tournament strategy is really based on context and prize pool structure when it comes to just going for it. If I did the main event WSOP, my main goal would just be to wade through the first few days and survive in order to cash. After that, try and go for it in general, but sometimes there are spots with such big pay jumps it makes more sense to just lay low and move up the money ladder. I don't really have much live tournament play experience either honestly....on Pokerstars back in the day I placed in the top 50 of a 5k+ entrants tourney to then win a seat at the main event WSOP if I won a secondary satellite tournament (the top 50 played for the grand prize). I was chip lead with 6 players left then lost all my chips in a series of 3 hands where I was the heavy favorite. Tourneys are a crap shoot.

Invest in CVS calls. The stock is way oversold, should have a nice bounce soon.

Not wise to try to time the market.

I disagree. I bought home in 2012 for cheap vs buying 2008 where it would difficult to pay just the mortgage. By buying cheap investment, I have extra money to invest in other things like stocks.

I'm waiting until everyone sell again to buy more. I geuss I timed the market.

I disagree. I bought home in 2012 for cheap vs buying 2008 where it would difficult to pay just the mortgage. By buying cheap investment, I have extra money to invest in other things like stocks.

I'm waiting until everyone sell again to buy more. I geuss I timed the market.
That time was late December. Since then you've missed out on a 15% increase just this year

That time was late December. Since then you've missed out on a 15% increase just this year

15% is nothing compared to 200-300% gained just playing it safe for me. I don't try to chase risky short term gain in a peak market.

I may miss out on 15% gain, but I sleep better at night, pay off my debt and up my saving for those buying opportunity.

15% is nothing compared to 200-300% gained just playing it safe for me. I don't try to chase risky short term gain in a peak market.

I may miss out on 15% gain, but I sleep better at night, pay off my debt and up my saving for those buying opportunity.

How do we get 200-300% gain?

How do we get 200-300% gain?

I buy when everyone is selling at a discount after a crash (stock and housing).

Look at housing price in 2012 and stock prices. I don't believe the current market is sustainable and it will crash. We just don't know what is going to be until it does. You already seeing some signs of weak economy: more and more people move back to their parent AFTER college, housing unaffordable to 70% American despite low interest rate, rising student loan, 4 years degree doesn't worth much, inverted yield curve.

I'm just saving my money to pay down debt and wait for the buying opportunity

I'm 'investing' in travel and experiences right now. Playing the points game with credit cards.

Opened 6 cards (personal and business) in the last 6 months. Travelling next year with welcome bonus points.

Follow The Points Guy blog.
This is what I did about 4 years ago. I think I opened about 15 credit cards to date. Gained LOTS in signup bonuses. When I turned 30, I went on an international trip and all the flights were completely covered by points!

It's bad to hope for a recession but i hope the housing market collapses. It's impossible to find affordable housing where I live and I make a pretty good salary.
I want this to happen too. Been saving cash for the past 3 years to prepare for opportunities

Reactions: 3 users
I want this to happen too. Been saving cash for the past 3 years to prepare for opportunities

I hope so too but it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon, there no more land left to build and limited supply. Anything below 800k sells immediately after open house weekend. Even 1.3 million dollar homes are selling. Not sure who can afford these. It's crazy how much more expensive it is than just a few years ago.

I think yall should look at how many major housing crashes there have been in the last hundred years. I think there may have been three. Lots of economic slowdowns, but I think it is unwise to think you could be able to jump on the next one because no one has a clue when that will be.

This thread is has got to be an April Fool's joke . Investment thread about poker, unsecured lending, and credit cards.

It is going to be a long wait.

There was one housing crash in the last 100 years. Do you really think there will be two housing crashes in 10 years?

The truth is...there has been a transfer of wealth from the middle to upper class. People who have been buying actually have money. They are not going to sell their house at a loss.

The rule is...buy real estate and wait, not wait to buy real estate

It is going to be a long wait.

There was one housing crash in the last 100 years. Do you really think there will be two housing crashes in 10 years?

The truth is...there has been a transfer of wealth from the middle to upper class. People who have been buying actually have money. They are not going to sell their house at a loss.

The rule is...buy real estate and wait, not wait to buy real estate

Maybe not a full crash like 2008 but houses were cheaper during the late 90s and then after the tech crash in early 2000s.

Reactions: 1 users
Business insider says housing cycles have historically tended to be about 14 years. So if you can wait a few years and history repeats itself yeah you might be able to score a good deal.