What do you plan to do after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you plan to do after med school?

• Primary Care

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Surgical Subspecialty

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Mental Health

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OB-GYN/Women's Health

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Missions/International Humanitarian Aid

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Research

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Pediatric Subspecialty

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • IM Subspecialty

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's plans are... I apologize to the people who already participated in the survey, but after getting some complaints, I decided to change the categories...

Members don't see this ad.

I find this thread amusing because most med students change their mind A LOT about career paths while on their clerkships. Personally, I've gone from being into ortho, to E.R. to cardio, to burns, to GI, adn now to G.surg. Basically, I came in being sure I wanted to be an orthopaedic surgeon, and now I have no clue.

I realize that a lot of people do change their minds... My uncle was dead sure he wanted to be an internist, he thought they did "real medicine" but he spotlighted in the ER and loved it. Still it's kind of cool to see what peole are thinking about...

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurosurgery or Research in Infectious Diseases.

I have been thinking about PM&R (physical medicine and rehab) for a while, but now i am thinking about a dozen other things, before I even start med school. I am seriously considering general surgery. It give a better sense of accomplishment, while leaving some room for some interpersonal, primary care type medicine. On the other hand, I love the endocrine system, as well as neurology. Does that mean, some IM subspecialty is next? We'll have to see :rolleyes:

I either want to specialize in Research in Infectious Disease, Tropical Medicine, or Psychiatry.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
haha look at the poll. so many surgery gunners ;)
Actually, what I found suprising was how many people want to do international humanitarian aid.... How are y'all dealing with that in your applications? Where are the other missions people applying?

I think it would have been interesting to have an undecided category to see how many people still pick a specialty and think they really know what they want to do, when in actuality just about everyone changes their mind.

I'm curious about the fourteen who chose other, what are your plans?

I chose pediatric subspecialty. I want to do either pediatric oncology or pediatric endocrinology.

does peds ent count as a surgical subspecialty or a peds subspecialty?

Internal Medicine Residency--> Oncology/Hematology Fellowship --> Academic position at a med school conducting clinical trials.