What do you think?? MD residency with either One or No DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPDO20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to FM, I have applied around 60-65 DO programs (some dual) and 25 MD programs.

I got 8 MD interviews excluding the 2 dual programs.
6 out of 8 programs have either One DO or None in each class. I attended an out of state medical school and am trying to return to my home state.

My question is- What are my chances? The DO's that they choose majority are from the home state DO school. Should I even try to go to the interview? What if they gave me a courtesy interview? I should have researched before applying. But, I have only scheduled some, what do you guys think?

I am going to 15 DO interviews...im confused..:( help please. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to FM, I have applied around 60-65 DO programs (some dual) and 25 MD programs.

I got 8 MD interviews excluding the 2 dual programs.
6 out of 8 programs have either One DO or None in each class. I attended an out of state medical school and am trying to return to my home state.

My question is- What are my chances? The DO's that they choose majority are from the home state DO school. Should I even try to go to the interview? What if they gave me a courtesy interview? I should have researched before applying. But, I have only scheduled some, what do you guys think?

I am going to 15 DO interviews...im confused..:( help please. Thanks in advance.

If it was me I'd go to all of the MD interviews and a couple of the DO ones... but that's just me. Do you really want to do more OMM?

Yes I want to continue doing OMT. But what is the purpose of going to the MD interviews when they accept only one or none, why take the risk? Now if they had at least 3-4 DO in each class then that would be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I want to continue doing OMT. But what is the purpose of going to the MD interviews when they accept only one or none, why take the risk? Now if they had at least 3-4 DO in each class then that would be different.

FM is not a competitive specialty at all. There's probably zero bias in all FM residencies against DOs. So the fact that there's only one or no DOs in a given FM residency is likely not due to the program being unfriendly towards DOs but just a coincidence..

The reason they don't have 3-4 DO's in each class is more likely because there aren't 20k DO grads each year.

Looking @ http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

2740 FP slots, 324 DO matches (that's 12%) and previous years there were even fewer DO's. There are a LOT of FP programs that I'm sure would be glad to have a DO that aren't going to have a single DO in any year just because there aren't that many DO's floating around.

If you love OMT though by all means do a DO program.

Pick the better program. The number of DOs in the program should be irrevelant. If they interviewed you then they are interested in you.